Let NSmen donate rewards

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Let NSmen donate rewards

Postby winchester » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:53 am

for the lau peng daddies here. brilliant idea esp if mindef had auto donate to charity unless nsmen wanted the $80 or $100 vouchers.

Let NSmen donate rewards
http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/for ... s-20121025

WHILE I laud the Government for handing out $100 million worth of goodies in recognition of national servicemen's contribution to the nation, I wonder if there is a need for such gratification ("NS a part of Singapore identity: PM"; Tuesday).

The Constitution dictates that every male Singaporean has to serve. And service to the nation, whether in the form of national service or other forms of service, although appreciated, need not be rewarded. After all, it is a duty to the nation, and we should be careful about creating a culture that links service to rewards, be it financial or otherwise.

I belong to the group of national servicemen who were required to do part-time Special Constabulary service during our A-level and early undergraduate years, only to be demobilised after 31/2 years and then enlisted for 21/2 years of full-time military service after graduation.

I, like many of my peers, grumbled but we moved on, knowing that we were serving the nation. At no time did I expect to be rewarded.

The $100 million would have been better spent if it were used to help needy citizens who are living from hand to mouth. Perhaps there should be an option for national servicemen receiving the goodies to donate them to the poor.

What about those national servicemen who lost their lives in service? Have they been forgotten? Shouldn't they be rewarded posthumously too? Perhaps their families should be given the rewards, with an option to donate them to the poor.

Lawrence Loh

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Let NSmen donate rewards

Postby atrecord » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:42 pm

winchester wrote:for the lau peng daddies here. brilliant idea esp if mindef had auto donate to charity unless nsmen wanted the $80 or $100 vouchers.

Let NSmen donate rewards
http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/for ... s-20121025

WHILE I laud the Government for handing out $100 million worth of goodies in recognition of national servicemen's contribution to the nation, I wonder if there is a need for such gratification ("NS a part of Singapore identity: PM"; Tuesday).

The Constitution dictates that every male Singaporean has to serve. And service to the nation, whether in the form of national service or other forms of service, although appreciated, need not be rewarded. After all, it is a duty to the nation, and we should be careful about creating a culture that links service to rewards, be it financial or otherwise.

I belong to the group of national servicemen who were required to do part-time Special Constabulary service during our A-level and early undergraduate years, only to be demobilised after 31/2 years and then enlisted for 21/2 years of full-time military service after graduation.

I, like many of my peers, grumbled but we moved on, knowing that we were serving the nation. At no time did I expect to be rewarded.

The $100 million would have been better spent if it were used to help needy citizens who are living from hand to mouth. Perhaps there should be an option for national servicemen receiving the goodies to donate them to the poor.

What about those national servicemen who lost their lives in service? Have they been forgotten? Shouldn't they be rewarded posthumously too? Perhaps their families should be given the rewards, with an option to donate them to the poor.

Lawrence Loh

While i think nobody would turn down money, I must say that your post is :goodpost:

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time