sunshine05
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: S'pore model of philanthropy.... : DPM Tharman

Postby Chenonceau » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:29 am

sunshine05 wrote:Tharman gave his personal views on education:

S'pore model of philanthropy builds strong, inclusive society: DPM Tharman
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 08/1/.html

Excellent! This is far more worth talking/discussing/facebooking about... than a mere label. There are those who believe the clothes maketh the man and labels are important. This perspective is not entirely without merit.

I believe that a man of substance can wear rags and still command respect... and that if you get the man right, his clothes are unimportant and not worth talking about. Like the label - PSLE leave. I recognise this is a strong personal bias I have. I look past people's branded goods etc... and really examine the person, and not the presentation of the person. This perspective is also not entirely without its merit... and it is a perspective that I hold dear to for reasons entirely specific to me and my life.

It's better use of time to talk about PSLE than about PSLE leave. Well done Tharman Shanmugaratnam! :udaman:

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winchester » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:41 am

current education minister heng sure might be pissed that finance minister poke his nose into education.

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:00 pm

winchester wrote:current education minister heng sure might be pissed that finance minister poke his nose into education.

Actually no... I dunno lah... I oso not sure. My sense is that the Cabinet owns the problem together because Tharman Shanmugaratnam used to head up MOE too (errr... I think)... and it almost sounds like a self-critque of what he failed to do in the past.

So brave, this man. Doesn't let pride get in the way. Looks at the problem for what it is without getting defensive. I'm so proud of him and HSK.

:udaman: Mr Shanmugaratnam
:udaman: Mr Heng Swee Keat

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Melodies » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Sometime, I really don't understand MOE at all. Though they have scraped the banding system but they introduced something new to differentiate schools. I'm not sure how many of you are aware that MOE has granted individual primary schools a degree of autonomy in planning their science curricula. The effect of this policy is that different schools may teach science slightly differently, in terms of the types and order of topics covered, and the depth to which each topic is covered. As such, a program that meets the needs of a child from one school may no longer meet the needs of a child from another school!!! How to have every school is a good school when the curricula is not the same from one school to another?

In this case, how are they going to set PSLE exam questions that will be fair to all schools and all students when the Science questions may come out from topics covered in some schools but not in other schools? Isn't it obvious that those schools which covered the topics or more depth and breadth will be able to answer the question? So, MOE basically saying that all students should cover as much depth and breadth as possible in Science in order to do well? In order to excel in PSLE, they basically need to study everything under the sun since they don't fix the breadth and depth of the Science curriculum? Why need to pile more additional study load and pressure on the students again?

So, it is expected that some leading schools (e.g. GEP schools) will cover all the breadth and depth of the Science topics and will incorporate additional materials that cover more than other schools and where the PSLE questions will come out from while most normal Schools would not have covered these topics in the name that their students cannot cope. So end results? GEP schools' students will always do better in PSLE, not because they are really more clever but because they are being taught while the general schools students will do poorer because they are not being taught. Science is a subject where if you are not being taught the facts, how can you answer correctly? MOE trying to create the perception that GEP students will always be better just because they are being "taught" more and not because they are really "gifted", more innovative and creative?

In this case, it is time for MOE to release all the PSLE exam papers questions so that there is transparency and whether what I mention about in the above is true? :shrug:

The end result is that tuitions is even more important to students now, contrary to what the ministers saying that we should let the kids have more childhood and less tuition. How to have less tuition when parents don't know the exam curriculum, normal school teachers unable to cover all topics in sufficient depth and breadth to cover all possible questions that may be set in PSLE? In my opinion, I will give my kids more tuition in very reputable tuition centres because these centres have access and ability to engage the best teachers who would have knowledge of all the PSLE questions being set (even when MOE did not release the exam questions openly). My heartfelt goes to those from disadvantaged families whose parents can't teach and can't afford tuition. :gloomy:
Melodies
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Recess Time