Studying Parent?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Studying Parent?

Postby FMz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 pm

KS parent here who is presently studying part time.

Raise hand please :D

FMz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Studying Parent?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:49 pm

FMz wrote:KS parent here who is presently studying part time.

Raise hand please :D

Quite a few... the two that come to mind are:
ZacK
EN
ChiefKiasu's DW (Does she count?)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby FMz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:51 pm

everyone study simi ar?

FMz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sashimi » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:07 pm

Define "part-time"?

I have been studying Japanese for the last 3 years, 2 hrs per week; before JLPT exam, 4 hours a week.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby EN » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:04 am

Taking CPIM. 4 modules & each module will need to sit for examination. Self study through online, books and questionaires.

8 colleagues taking the same course. 4 married with children, 4 singles or married with no children. Exam results? Only 1 married with children (me) and the singles that pass the exam.

So....bottom line it is tough. But as always miracle happen and I started mugging two days before exam. Took two half day leaves to study and ignore house work, children, husband, office work just to slog. After exam, faces with lots and lots of work and housework backlogs.

The very reason I sing "yippe ya ya yippee yippee yaa" when I learnt that I pass.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FMz » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:49 pm

learning Japanese ar....

can never get myself to formally learn this language though I been to Japan countless time & stayed for for various extented duration.

FMz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby FMz » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:51 pm

EN wrote:Taking CPIM. 4 modules & each module will need to sit for examination. Self study through online, books and questionaires.

8 colleagues taking the same course. 4 married with children, 4 singles or married with no children. Exam results? Only 1 married with children (me) and the singles that pass the exam.

So....bottom line it is tough. But as always miracle happen and I started mugging two days before exam. Took two half day leaves to study and ignore house work, children, husband, office work just to slog. After exam, faces with lots and lots of work and housework backlogs.

The very reason I sing "yippe ya ya yippee yippee yaa" when I learnt that I pass.

tats the thingy abt online & self discipline studies.... ever hard to get motivated & there are no peers to gauge progress.

FMz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby EN » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:26 pm

tats the thingy abt online & self discipline studies.... ever hard to get motivated & there are no peers to gauge progress.

I was tempted to procastinate to have the exam taken in December instead of June. My senior talk me out of it saying, that I will have better support if everyone take it together.

There's 8 of us sitting for the exam. There's two that help to compile notes and print out past years paper (there's about 800 questions that we need to go through), one that help to burn CD for another set of notes and questionaires. We took turn to take leaves. We update each other where we are at and will assist if there's questions that we are not able to answer.

So for self study, there is a need to find a group to help motivate each other.

Years ago, before I start a family, I took up another post graduate course, going to campus 3 times a week and that is excluding project meet up. It's extremely tiring to attend lectures after school and juggling work stress. I fell asleep in lectures often but yes did make it through.

I don't think I am up to another round of part time study, going to campus after office hours, juggling work, kids, husband and parents.

The online at the moment is the most flexible of all. I usually hit the book at 5 - 6am.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FMz » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:34 pm

EN wrote:

I was tempted to procastinate to have the exam taken in December instead of June. My senior talk me out of it saying, that I will have better support if everyone take it together.

There's 8 of us sitting for the exam. There's two that help to compile notes and print out past years paper (there's about 800 questions that we need to go through), one that help to burn CD for another set of notes and questionaires. We took turn to take leaves. We update each other where we are at and will assist if there's questions that we are not able to answer.

So for self study, there is a need to find a group to help motivate each other.

Years ago, before I start a family, I took up another post graduate course, going to campus 3 times a week and that is excluding project meet up. It's extremely tiring to attend lectures after school and juggling work stress. I fell asleep in lectures often but yes did make it through.

I don't think I am up to another round of part time study, going to campus after office hours, juggling work, kids, husband and parents.

The online at the moment is the most flexible of all. I usually hit the book at 5 - 6am.

kudos to you :D

FMz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sashimi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:29 am

insider wrote:sashimi,

which level of JLPT are you at now? My daughter is planning to take Level 2 two years later (self study with notes from JC students taking Japanese as a 3rd language).

Level 1 seems to be very hard. I have two friends who have taken about 5 times and still can't pass the paper and they are now still doing self study to try and try again... (sometimes they may have private tuition at about $80/hr by a Japanese lecturer but they don't go for classes anymore).

Oh I'm only at JLPT4 :) Taking JLPT3 this year.

JLPT1 is not very hard - it is apparently insanely hard. I hear even the Japanese are scared of it. schellen can tell you more - she nearly passed it last year, alas but for a handful of marks.

btw you should inform your daughter that starting 2010, the system is changing from the 4 levels (JLPT4-1) to a new 5-level system, N5 to N1. N2 will be the equivalent of JLPT2, but there'll be a new level between JLPT2 and JLPT3 called N3. I'm aiming for that qualification in 2010. N1 is apparently going to be even harder than JLPT1.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time