Bookshelves

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Bookshelves

Postby heyhoe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Actually, not sure if I'm posting this at the right section.

I need to purchase bookshelves to accommodate my growing books collection :oops:

Any suggestions? Currently, I'm using Billy bookcase from Ikea.

Cheers,

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Bookshelves

Postby iLoveChubby » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:57 pm

My Billy collapsed on me some time back.
I m also in search for a good & sturdy one.
Thk shelves fr vhive r rather reasonably priced for e quality?..

iLoveChubby
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby laughingcat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Don't use ikea as they can't last long for books especially if you have alot of books! :evil: like me! :wink: (keep going to book fairs)

Best to buy scanteak. Although it is ex but can last very very long and the shelves did not warp. I am still using them for close to 6 years.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hercules » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:30 pm

If intention for the shelves is for books, then avoid any width that is more than 80 cm long. Any width longer than that is not so ideal for storing books. Basically the shorter the width, the stronger the plank is.

Ikea's shelves give way quite easily for books.

Vhive have heavy duty range that is priced reasonably. Heavy duty range refers to those wood that is thicker.

Other than scan teak which is more costly, you may visit furniture fair and look for Indonesia stall. Talk to the seller as some maybe able to tailor make for you from solid wood and this is cheaper compare to scan teak. My bookshelves are mostly from these stalls and have been in used for 10 over years with not a single sign of wood 'bending'. (remember my 80 cm x 180 cm shelves cost me about $300 each at time of purchase. They come with back design of wood strips that I using those shelves as room dividers as well.)

hercules
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cimman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:34 pm

get a Kindle. It will save you the cost of bookshelve and you can carry entire library of books with you always. EBooks are also cheaper than paper books.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Imami » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:48 pm

Oh this thread is Sooooo timely! I was about to get a Billy from ikea. Luckily I read this in time.

Any recommendation for carpenters if we were to customize a bookcase? My kid has many small books, like ladybird books. How do you store small books?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:49 pm

cimman wrote:get a Kindle. It will save you the cost of bookshelve and you can carry entire library of books with you always. EBooks are also cheaper than paper books.

kindle cannot store assessment books leh :laugh:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:57 pm

i hv much much to share about book shelves... my this current one already lasted me for 13yrs.. i bought it donkey yrs ago in 1999 in carrefour, yes in carrefour... now no more liao...

u may be thinking that i bought expensive ones... but no, i just used another way to stack the bookshelves to make it super sturdy... i bought the cheapo 3 compartment shelves from carrefour back in 1999, i still rmb it cost only $6.90 each.

if u guess it correctly, yes, its the cheapest one which requires u to self fix them together to get 3 compartments... there is still similar versions selling in giant and ntuc hypermart nowadays, i think $12.90 or $9.90 each.

instead of stacking the shelves vertically, i placed them horizontally, this makes the side walls to be the base where u put ur books... i stack 4 shelves tall and used it for nearly 13 yrs now... no breakage, no falling, no problems at all... =)

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:10 am

Ours is from Goodfurn.

Used to be located at Kovan, then moved to Upper Bukit Timah Shopping Center.

Our study tables are also from there.

They are more than 10 years old. Made of teakwood.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby phtthp » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:47 am

verykiasumummy wrote:i hv much much to share about book shelves... my this current one already lasted me for 13yrs.. i bought it donkey yrs ago in 1999 in carrefour, yes in carrefour... now no more liao...

u may be thinking that i bought expensive ones... but no, i just used another way to stack the bookshelves to make it super sturdy... i bought the cheapo 3 compartment shelves from carrefour back in 1999, i still rmb it cost only $6.90 each.

if u guess it correctly, yes, its the cheapest one which requires u to self fix them together to get 3 compartments... there is still similar versions selling in giant and ntuc hypermart nowadays, i think $12.90 or $9.90 each.

instead of stacking the shelves vertically, i placed them horizontally, this makes the side walls to be the base where u put ur books... i stack 4 shelves tall and used it for nearly 13 yrs now... no breakage, no falling, no problems at all... =)

u got any picture to show us ... not sure how it look like if stack horizontally, not vertically ?
are the shelves made of steel or wood ?

got door ? how to keep off dust ? clean regularly ?

what is the name of these bookshelf, if go Giant or NTUC or Carrefour ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time