MOE - We wish, we want.... so we write

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

MOE - We wish, we want.... so we write

Postby MR06 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:54 pm

This thread aims to collate good suggestions and recommendations to improve or revolutionize any aspects pertaining to education.

ForumMers can discuss about what had been suggested and hopefully some good ideas can find its way to MOE.

MR06
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: MOE - We wish, we want.... so we write

Postby MR06 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:06 pm

I couldn't recall when was the last time a single-sex school was built in Singapore.

I feel there is still demand for such schools at the primary and secondary level.

Perhaps we can have a girls' and a boys' school built within the same compound but housed in separate wings. It can be joined and at the same time separated by a common building for shared facilities like auditorium, sports hall ect.

The pupils study in a single-sex environment but with plenty of opportunities to interact with the opposite sex through organized sports or games between the 2 schools.

They should be affiliated, so a younger sibling of the opposite sex can study in the other wing.

Any opinions?

MR06
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 3Boys » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:28 pm

MR06 wrote:I couldn't recall when was the last time a single-sex school was built in Singapore.

I feel there is still demand for such schools at the primary and secondary level.

Perhaps we can have a girls' and a boys' school built within the same compound but housed in separate wings. It can be joined and at the same time separated by a common building for shared facilities like auditorium, sports hall ect.

The pupils study in a single-sex environment but with plenty of opportunities to interact with the opposite sex through organized sports or games between the 2 schools.

They should be affiliated, so a younger sibling of the opposite sex can study in the other wing.

Any opinions?

May I ask why?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:30 pm

3Boys wrote:
May I ask why?

Me 2. :scratchhead:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MR06 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:05 pm

To give parents more choice.......

There is a demand for single-sex school and most existing boys' and girls' schools are too popular for even those living within 1km in P2C to get in.

For discussion on single-sex school or co-ed schools go to

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... w=viewpoll

MR06
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 pm

MR06 wrote:To give parents more choice.......

There is a demand for single-sex school and most existing boys' and girls' schools are too popular for even those living within 1km in P2C to get in.

I believe most of them are popular coz of their rich heritage.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MR06 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:56 am

Nebbermind wrote:
MR06 wrote:To give parents more choice.......

I believe most of them are popular coz of their rich heritage.

Definitely, apart from heritage there is real demand for single-sex school, some parents prefer to send their kids to single-sex school instead of co-ed school......

Instead of having all new schools as co-ed schools, I feel we can designate maybe 2 single-sex schools out of 20 new schools?

MR06
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pirate » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Instead of having new schools, for the sake of heritage, we should be resurrecting schools that have been "killed" in the past for various reasons. Every old school that no longer exists is a piece of history lost.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:42 pm

pirate wrote:Instead of having new schools, for the sake of heritage, we should be resurrecting schools that have been "killed" in the past for various reasons. Every old school that no longer exists is a piece of history lost.

What schools do you have in mind?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ponyo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Since this is a wishlist...so let me put in mine too. Instead of focussing on hardware/infra, I would like to see some changes to the curriculum. If you believe that schools are to prepare the kids for the real world... then perhaps

1) we should introduce a current affairs lesson (once a week for lower primary and more perhaps for upper primary). During this lesson, kids get to bring newspapers to school, or teachers can share interesting nuggets from the papers and get the kids to discuss. To prevent such lessons from being hijacked for other purposes (e.g. additional revision), it will be good for this to be conducted by teachers not responsible for that class.

2) Brief Introduction of world history/geography lessons
This will help complement 1) and also help the kids to widen their horizon.

3) Research skills (incorporated into IT/library lessons)
Teach students how to ask questions, look for information, assess, critique

Rather than churning out study machines, education should be about opening up minds and imparting the skills to learn

As I said, it's a wishlist...

ponyo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

2 people like this post

Next

Return to Recess Time