MOE develops code of conduct for educators

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

MOE develops code of conduct for educators

Postby tankee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 pm

SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Education (MOE) has announced the development of a Code of Professional Conduct for Educators.

This will apply to all officers who are in the teaching service including school leaders, education officers in MOE HQ and relief teachers.

MOE sent a letter to all educators on Thursday, informing them about the newly-consolidated code of conduct which incorporates the relevant values and regulations from the Government Instruction Manuals for civil servants as well as MOE's internal conduct guidelines.

Choy Wai Yin, MOE's cluster superintendent, said: "This code is a codification of the professional practices that already exist in our teaching fraternity today. In view of the current more complex operating environment, educators have also called for greater guidance in the area of professional conduct and behaviour. In view of this, the code is really co-developed by educators for educators and building on the earlier work that's been done."

The code of conduct also recognises the increasingly complex environment teachers today find themselves in. With the rise of social media, many teachers find it difficult to know where to draw the boundary when interacting with their students.....

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 63/1/.html

tankee
Site Admin

Re: MOE develops code of conduct for educators

Postby janet88 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:32 pm

DOE_admin wrote:To think things have come to such a stage where you need explicit rules to essentially tell teachers to behave appropriately, it is just...............a sad day for humanity in Singapore.

It is very sad that professionalism is lacking in today's education industry.
Our educators are holding important roles...they are the ones who groom our children. They are the ones who chose to be in this industry to educate.

My son was informed by his classmate there was to be a graduation party on 14 Nov from 230-530pm. I emailed his form teacher to enquire more.
He replied via email there would be a party and asked if my son was keen to attend, to which i say yes. I indicated that I would pay the $15 cash on that day. However he said it was not finalized. I indicated that I can be reached via email or my mobile. I checked my email daily and up till 2 days before the proposed party, there was no confirmation whether the party was on or off. This is definitely lacking in efficiency and professionalism.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:57 pm

I always thought that graduation party is usually driven by PSG.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Nebbermind wrote:I always thought that graduation party is usually driven by PSG.

I don't know.
I indicated I can be reached via email and even stated my mobile no...clearly there is a lack of professionalism. I am not wrong to be feeling upset. Whether the party is ON or OFF, I should be informed.

A couple of my friends attended their kids' P6 graduation...I am not kept in the loop.

How can such teachers groom the kids to face the competitive world ?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time