KKH apologises for baby swap incident

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

KKH apologises for baby swap incident

Postby tankee » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:29 pm

SINGAPORE: Two new-born babies were wrongly discharged to different mothers at KK Women's and Children's Hospital (KKH) on Sunday.

The babies have been reunited with their biological parents and are doing well.

KKH said the incident came to light when one of the parents noticed that the baby taken home wore an identification tag belonging to another mother.

This happened about an hour after they brought him home.

KKH said all babies have double tags, and this baby had an incorrect tag and a correct tag on his legs when he was given to the wrong parents.

The hospital suspected that checks were not carried out properly when the baby was being discharged.

The other baby, also a boy, was with the wrong parents for about 10 hours.

He was wearing two correct tags but was given to the wrong set of parents during discharge.

The hospital informed the parents after a blood test of the first baby confirmed the mix-up...............

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 07/1/.html

tankee
Site Admin

Re: KKH apologises for baby swap incident

Postby iggy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:14 am

Thats very sharp of the parent. And what a relief that the babies are reunited with the families.

iggy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mother777 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:19 am

Wow so baby swaps really do happen! When I had my son in KKH 2 yrs ago my hubby kept looking for unique birth mark on my son to avoid any possible swap. He was worried that baby may get mixed up at infant care room, where most babies are kept..

Am glad he was so cautious.. Even though I made fun of him being paranoid that time..

Good to know that the swap was identified quickly... Very difficult if few months or years are gone.. The mother would have emotionally bonded with baby n vice versa..

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby iggy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:32 am

I think it is a protocol to tag baby once it is delivered. Wonder how that baby has a correct and incorrect tag on him? Does it mean if 2 wrong tags were prepared in the first instance, the mistaken identity would never been discovered. Scary thought

iggy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby phtthp » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:10 am

luckily, realized mistake fast.

else bring up somebody else's baby for 20 years :nailbite: :sweat: :yikes:

wonder other hospital maternity ward like :-
SGH, NUH, Thomson Medical centre, Mount Alvernia, Mount Elizabeth hospital, etc - whether have precaution steps implemented in place to prevent mistake like this.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:47 am

mother777 wrote:Wow so baby swaps really do happen! When I had my son in KKH 2 yrs ago my hubby kept looking for unique birth mark on my son to avoid any possible swap. He was worried that baby may get mixed up at infant care room, where most babies are kept..

Am glad he was so cautious.. Even though I made fun of him being paranoid that time..

Good to know that the swap was identified quickly... Very difficult if few months or years are gone.. The mother would have emotionally bonded with baby n vice versa..

My hubby too. But luckily my baby had his father's (my fil) eyes (according to hubby) and a birthmark which runs in his family (all the cousins and cousins' kid's have the same birth mark, boys have it on their left and girls have it on their right. Very amazing hor?) so all we need was to look for these two features. For me, I only looked for the birth make :wink:

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:23 am

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:37 am

Don't the nurses check the tags on discharge? I had my kids overseas, but I recall that the nurses read the tags and asked us to look and verify before they discharged us. Surely KH should have the same procedure. Obviously someone slipped up.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:44 am

The problem was that the baby was mistakenly tagged from the start with two different tags. If so, the baby might have been given to the wrong mother even during the nursing stage.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby phtthp » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:44 am

huh ?
you mean breast feed wrong baby ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time