China - World Cleverest?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

China - World Cleverest?

Postby hercules » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Interesting article:

There were also major cultural differences when teenagers were asked about why people succeeded at school.

"North Americans tell you typically it's all luck. 'I'm born talented in mathematics, or I'm born less talented so I'll study something else.'

"In Europe, it's all about social heritage: 'My father was a plumber so I'm going to be a plumber'.

"In China, more than nine out of 10 children tell you: 'It depends on the effort I invest and I can succeed if I study hard.'

"They take on responsibility. They can overcome obstacles and say 'I'm the owner of my own success', rather than blaming it on the system."

Unquote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17585201

Pondering over that part about giving 'excuses' to kids with poorer background to perform not on par in their academics.
Last edited by hercules on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hercules
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: China - World Cleverest?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:49 pm

In Singapore, 10 out of 10 children will say... "Shhh... teacher say cannot tell others how successful I am."

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby wonderm » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks for sharing the link. Interesting perspective.

"This concept of 'fairness' is deeply unfair - because by making life easier for children from difficult circumstances, we lower their life chances."

hercules wrote:Interesting article:

There were also major cultural differences when teenagers were asked about why people succeeded at school.

"North Americans tell you typically it's all luck. 'I'm born talented in mathematics, or I'm born less talented so I'll study something else.'

"In Europe, it's all about social heritage: 'My father was a plumber so I'm going to be a plumber'.

"In China, more than nine out of 10 children tell you: 'It depends on the effort I invest and I can succeed if I study hard.'

"They take on responsibility. They can overcome obstacles and say 'I'm the owner of my own success', rather than blaming it on the system."

Unquote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17585201

Pondering over that part about giving 'excuses' to kids with poorer background to perform not to par in their academics.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:In Singapore, 10 out of 10 children will say... "Shhh... teacher say cannot tell others how successful I am."

You in quite the mood today, eh, Chief?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:00 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:In Singapore, 10 out of 10 children will say... "Shhh... teacher say cannot tell others how successful I am."

[couldn't resist channelling what the NYPS kid said to the reporter]...they will say "MOE say cannot say". :evil:

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ruohoo97 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:06 pm

hquek wrote:

[couldn't resist channelling what the NYPS kid said to the reporter]...they will say "MOE say cannot say". :evil:

:laugh: Yeah, MOE says.....

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:14 pm

3Boys wrote:

You in quite the mood today, eh, Chief?

Yeah. Grumpy. We are not even willing to define success anymore. So how to compete with others?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:20 pm

3boys? :rotflmao: wt :censored: ! :rotflmao:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:28 pm

Nebbermind wrote:Image

3boys? :rotflmao: wt :censored: ! :rotflmao:

Heh heh! :lol:

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hercules » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:28 pm

I am pessimistic over the long term labour force here, when most kids don't seem to have internal strength to stand on own to fight for self but have to rely on external means to compete only in the academic arena.

Our kids will lose out when even many educated parents fail to see the needs to groom their children to compete on a future global basis by putting too much emphasis in chasing after the IPs or what nots.

Most will whine and complain and cry foul, what other better things do they actually know?

hercules
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time