Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Revise or pre-teach academic stuff during hols?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do your kids study during the hols

Poll ended at Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:04 am

No, it is all play and explore
19
49%
Yes, revise this year's work or pre-teach next year's syllabus
20
51%
 
Total votes : 39

Re: Revise or pre-teach academic stuff during hols?

Postby concern2 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:16 am

janet_lee88 wrote:I was out yesterday...kids were with parents and they had fun. This morning, got them to do some English. Now in the mood for some fun...just so lethargic and thinking of monotonous routine :gloomy: when school reopens.


Ya, hols is a good time for get-togethers. It is really a break from the routine. Even working adults need them - badly.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4900
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:18 pm
Total Likes: 29


Re: Revise or pre-teach academic stuff during hols?

Postby sleepy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:45 am

Somehow I feel that this school holiday time passes quickly. It's almost the end of 3rd week of holiday. Left 3 weeks to school reopen. Still so many things not done yet!

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9768
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 38


Re: Revise or pre-teach academic stuff during hols?

Postby MMM » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:58 am

sleepy wrote:Somehow I feel that this school holiday time passes quickly. It's almost the end of 3rd week of holiday. Left 3 weeks to school reopen. Still so many things not done yet!


That is sooo true... :sad: Happy times seem to pass by so quickly. Before we know it, it is the night before school reopen..

Wanted to build kids' EL for next year.... but it seems that we've only done alittle....

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4813
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 80


Re: Revise or pre-teach academic stuff during hols?

Postby Mawar » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:15 am

MMM wrote:
sleepy wrote:Somehow I feel that this school holiday time passes quickly. It's almost the end of 3rd week of holiday. Left 3 weeks to school reopen. Still so many things not done yet!


That is sooo true... :sad: Happy times seem to pass by so quickly. Before we know it, it is the night before school reopen..

Wanted to build kids' EL for next year.... but it seems that we've only done alittle....


Same here. Year end hols is my favorite time of the year. The weather is cooler, the school year has ended, malls are decked with festive cheer, and kids can enjoy themselves.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:50 pm
Total Likes: 11


Re: Revise or pre-teach academic stuff during hols?

Postby Funz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:35 am

Sometimes I feel that I am such a bad example for my kids. I will choose to do everything else over studying.

Very honestly, before the start of the hols, I thought this hols we will complete some of the more useful assesments that we have not done. Use it as a form of revision. At least keep some of the studying momentum going.

1st week, aiyah, let them play lah, still so many weeks to go
2nd week, maybe next week we start
3rd week, ummm, think we clear out the assessment books, dun think we will ever touch them again.

So I console myself....

This the end product of yesterday's charity bake.

Image

We wanted to raise at least $500. Each pack of cookies consisting of 10 pieces each of 3 flavours is going for $10. So how many packs do we need to bake. From there, we looked at the recipe. Each portion yields about 60 cookies, so how much flour, butter, sugar, etc do we need to buy, and we worked that out. We worked those out a few days before we started. And we went shopping.

Along the way, I talked to them about factoring in time to see if we can complete baking so many cookies within 1 or 2 days and also to cater to the unforeseen like burnt batches or recipe yielding lesser than expected, etc. All these can be learnt only from experience.

....we did do some studying afterall. :wink:

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 12102
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:48 pm
Total Likes: 334



Re: Revise or pre-teach academic stuff during hols?

Postby Mawar » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:46 am

Funz wrote:Sometimes I feel that I am such a bad example for my kids. I will choose to do everything else over studying.

Very honestly, before the start of the hols, I thought this hols we will complete some of the more useful assesments that we have not done. Use it as a form of revision. At least keep some of the studying momentum going.

1st week, aiyah, let them play lah, still so many weeks to go
2nd week, maybe next week we start
3rd week, ummm, think we clear out the assessment books, dun think we will ever touch them again.

So I console myself....

This the end product of yesterday's charity bake.

Image

We wanted to raise at least $500. Each pack of cookies consisting of 10 pieces each of 3 flavours is going for $10. So how many packs do we need to bake. From there, we looked at the recipe. Each portion yields about 60 cookies, so how much flour, butter, sugar, etc do we need to buy, and we worked that out. We worked those out a few days before we started. And we went shopping.

Along the way, I talked to them about factoring in time to see if we can complete baking so many cookies within 1 or 2 days and also to cater to the unforeseen like burnt batches or recipe yielding lesser than expected, etc. All these can be learnt only from experience.

....we did do some studying afterall. :wink:


This is what they will remember. I am all for depositing sweet moments into my kids's memory piggyback. The returns and dividend payouts are compounded and spill into other areas of our lives.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:50 pm
Total Likes: 11


Re: Revise or pre-teach academic stuff during hols?

Postby metz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:35 pm

Funz wrote:Sometimes I feel that I am such a bad example for my kids. I will choose to do everything else over studying.

Very honestly, before the start of the hols, I thought this hols we will complete some of the more useful assesments that we have not done. Use it as a form of revision. At least keep some of the studying momentum going.

1st week, aiyah, let them play lah, still so many weeks to go
2nd week, maybe next week we start
3rd week, ummm, think we clear out the assessment books, dun think we will ever touch them again.

So I console myself....



I knew we won't have time for unused assessment books during holidays. Hence, I have given them away before the school holidays started. One albatross off my neck.

Funz wrote:This the end product of yesterday's charity bake.

Image

We wanted to raise at least $500. Each pack of cookies consisting of 10 pieces each of 3 flavours is going for $10. So how many packs do we need to bake. From there, we looked at the recipe. Each portion yields about 60 cookies, so how much flour, butter, sugar, etc do we need to buy, and we worked that out. We worked those out a few days before we started. And we went shopping.

Along the way, I talked to them about factoring in time to see if we can complete baking so many cookies within 1 or 2 days and also to cater to the unforeseen like burnt batches or recipe yielding lesser than expected, etc. All these can be learnt only from experience.

....we did do some studying afterall. :wink:


A great and fun learning experience!

Studying/Learning doesn't have to be confined to just doing assessment books. In truth, I always have mixed feelings about assessment books. On one hand, I feel assessment books are pretty boring and drilling. On the other hand, if the kids did none, there's always this sense of guilt that I am too lax with them :nailbite: ...
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:38 pm
Total Likes: 4


Re: Revise or pre-teach academic stuff during hols?

Postby janet88 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Gosh, please don't remind me it's going to be jan soon :cry: I am still enjoying myself after the PSLE mad rush. Yesterday, I cleared some chores as I planned to stay overnight at parents place. Away from usual 4 walls...some kind of holiday.

Kids did some cloze passages this morning (brought along 1 assessment). Later we will go out together for some shopping...maybe get some bb stuff for little niece who will be due soon. :rahrah:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 39919
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 126


Re: Revise or pre-teach academic stuff during hols?

Postby Funz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:00 pm

metz wrote:I knew we won't have time for unused assessment books during holidays. Hence, I have given them away before the school holidays started. One albatross off my neck.


I know too that we will most probably not even look at any of the assessment books. But there is that side of me, that my sis calls delusional or forever in denial, that sometimes take over the more conscious side of me and I do things like that.

metz wrote:A great and fun learning experience!

Studying/Learning doesn't have to be confined to just doing assessment books. In truth, I always have mixed feelings about assessment books. On one hand, I feel assessment books are pretty boring and drilling. On the other hand, if the kids did none, there's always this sense of guilt that I am too lax with them :nailbite: ...


Yes it was fun. We all swore off cookies after the whole baking session. But it was fulfilling.

I have the same feeling about the assessment books. And yes! That same feeling of guilt. That's why this poll loh.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 12102
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:48 pm
Total Likes: 334


Previous

Return to Recess Time

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres