Punggol East By-Election coming ? MP steps down

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Michael Palmer resigns as Speaker, MP

Postby BlueBells » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:15 pm

'I had a relationship with PA staff,' he admits

Updated 02:01 PM Dec 12, 2012

SINGAPORE - Mr Michael Palmer has resigned as Speaker of Parliament and as a member of the People's Action Party following his admission today of a relationship with a member of the People's Association staff.

"I have resigned to take full responsibility for a grave mistake that I have committed. I had a relationship with a member of the PA staff working in Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC," said Mr Palmer today.

"My conduct was improper and it was a serious error of judgment. I have resigned in order to avoid further embarrassment to the PAP and to Parliament."

Mr Palmer won the Punggol East SMC seat in last year's General Election. "While the individual did not work with me directly, Punggol East used to be part of the Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC and continues to work with it," said Mr Palmer at a press conference this afternoon in which he announced his resignation flanked by Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean.

DPM Teo said the PAP first came to know about the matter on Saturday, Dec 8, and Mr Palmer offered his resignation that night.

"I am sorry we have let the residents of Punggol East down. I assue you we will put things right and continue to look after you," said DPM Teo.

Quoting the Prime Minister, DPM Teo said: "It is necessary that all PAP MPs and grassroots advisors uphold the highest standards of personal conduct, especially in dealings with constituents, grassroots activists and staff, and that the PAP be seen to hold its MPs and advisors to those standards."

Added the Deputy Prime Minister: "Those involved are suffering much hurt from this episode. They need time and space for the healing to take place."

Mr Charles Chong will take on the Speaker's responsibilities for now, while Mr Teo Ser Luck will oversee Mr Palmer's Punggol East constituency. Mr Zainal Sapari will be appointed new Chairman of Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council, DPM Teo said. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong will nominate a new Speaker for consideration when Parliament next meets.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Punggol East By-Election coming ? MP steps down

Postby Strparent » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:16 pm

Strparent
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Michael Palmer resigns as Speaker, MP

Postby BlueBells » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:17 pm

:faint: :faint: :faint:

At least he didn't run away like YSL, but still disappointing ...

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Ran1977 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:21 pm

BlueBells wrote:'I had a relationship with PA staff,' he admits

Updated 02:01 PM Dec 12, 2012

SINGAPORE - Mr Michael Palmer has resigned as Speaker of Parliament and as a member of the People's Action Party following his admission today of a relationship with a member of the People's Association staff.

"I have resigned to take full responsibility for a grave mistake that I have committed. I had a relationship with a member of the PA staff working in Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC," said Mr Palmer today.

"My conduct was improper and it was a serious error of judgment. I have resigned in order to avoid further embarrassment to the PAP and to Parliament."

Mr Palmer won the Punggol East SMC seat in last year's General Election. "While the individual did not work with me directly, Punggol East used to be part of the Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC and continues to work with it," said Mr Palmer at a press conference this afternoon in which he announced his resignation flanked by Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean.

DPM Teo said the PAP first came to know about the matter on Saturday, Dec 8, and Mr Palmer offered his resignation that night.

"I am sorry we have let the residents of Punggol East down. I assue you we will put things right and continue to look after you," said DPM Teo.

Quoting the Prime Minister, DPM Teo said: "It is necessary that all PAP MPs and grassroots advisors uphold the highest standards of personal conduct, especially in dealings with constituents, grassroots activists and staff, and that the PAP be seen to hold its MPs and advisors to those standards."

Added the Deputy Prime Minister: "Those involved are suffering much hurt from this episode. They need time and space for the healing to take place."

Mr Charles Chong will take on the Speaker's responsibilities for now, while Mr Teo Ser Luck will oversee Mr Palmer's Punggol East constituency. Mr Zainal Sapari will be appointed new Chairman of Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council, DPM Teo said. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong will nominate a new Speaker for consideration when Parliament next meets.

Never expected this from PAP!

Ran1977
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Punggol East By-Election coming ? MP steps down

Postby concern2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Wa, you all super fast man! Was going to post... :laugh:

This time I have chance to vote again.. :evil: :rubhands:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby straffan23 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Same lesson - - Mind over body... ohm....

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby raysusan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:35 pm

waiting for more juicy news to surface

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:40 pm

So sad, we just took kid's graduation photo with him. :sad:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:40 pm

concern2 wrote:Wa, you all super fast man! Was going to post... :laugh:

This time I have chance to vote again.. :evil: :rubhands:

Post so many same comment? :rotflmao:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:43 pm

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Tell me about it! But :itwasntme:

Someone sabo-ed me - I did not submit so many posts!!!

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time