NLB invites public feedback on new library@orchard design

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

NLB invites public feedback on new library@orchard design

Postby tankee » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:21 pm

SINGAPORE: The National Library Board (NLB) wants the public to have a say in what they would like the new Orchard library to look like.

NLB has collaborated with Singapore Polytechnic to conceptualise ideas based on initial public consultation for the library@orchard, which will open in 2014.

After two months of conducting hour-long interviews with members of the public along Orchard Road, it was back to the drawing board for students and lecturers of Singapore Polytechnic's School of Architecture and Built Environment.

This resulted in design concepts that created a memory bank of inspiring local stories. Some also give users access to multi-media content through the latest gadgets and applications.

More importantly, the new library@orchard will cater to a different crowd of library goers.

"I think this is very much the demographic that we're going to reach out to with the new library@orchard; people who come to Orchard Road for various reasons, and those who work at Orchard Road… we hope to attract people who don't read or visit public libraries to come to the library@Orchard," said Jasna Dansukhlal, NLB's assistant director of library services and management.

Four of the prototypes are on display at the Central Library in Victoria Street until 31 January. The public is encouraged to give their feedback on the four prototypes online at NLB's blog (http://blogs.nlb.gov.sg/orchard) or submit their suggestions via feedback forms at the Central Library.

- CNA/jc

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 17/1/.html

tankee
Site Admin

Re: NLB invites public feedback on new library@orchard desig

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:28 am

I'm not sure why NLB is continuing to invest in brick and mortar libraries. It seems like a struggle to remain viable in the age of the Internet. I would much rather they start pushing their e-library services in a big way since that has a much greater reach and a whole lot less operating costs.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:37 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:I'm not sure why NLB is continuing to invest in brick and mortar libraries. It seems like a struggle to remain viable in the age of the Internet. I would much rather they start pushing their e-library services in a big way since that has a much greater reach and a whole lot less operating costs.

I think there's room for both print books and ebooks. Each type has its benefits.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AceTutors123 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:51 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:I'm not sure why NLB is continuing to invest in brick and mortar libraries. It seems like a struggle to remain viable in the age of the Internet. I would much rather they start pushing their e-library services in a big way since that has a much greater reach and a whole lot less operating costs.

The government could make going to the library an 'in' thing among students who normally only shop in Orchard. This may just help raise the literacy level of the bottom few percent :celebrate:

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:28 am

slmkhoo wrote:

I think there's room for both print books and ebooks. Each type has its benefits.

I understand. I'm under no illusion about the benefits of print books over ebooks. For young readers, print books can be a lot more effective, and permit readers to retain narrative details better than e-books. But if the goal is to encourage reading, e-libraries has much greater potential, and are most heavenly for voracious intermediate to advanced readers.

And e-libraries save trees :)

Anyway, I'm just bitching because NLB's current e-library's lending scheme leaves some much to be desired that it is basically useless.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:05 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:

I understand. I'm under no illusion about the benefits of print books over ebooks. For young readers, print books can be a lot more effective, and permit readers to retain narrative details better than e-books. But if the goal is to encourage reading, e-libraries has much greater potential, and are most heavenly for voracious intermediate to advanced readers.

And e-libraries save trees :)

Anyway, I'm just bitching because NLB's current e-library's lending scheme leaves some much to be desired that it is basically useless.

I agree with your plus points for ebooks. I've recently been borrowing and reading quite frequently for myself and my teen girls as we live overseas and can't get English books readily. We still miss some features of print books and the whole physical library experience though. What do you feel are the problems with NLB's e-library lending? Other than the search categories not being fine enough for easy browsing, we've found the e-lending experience fine so far.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:09 pm

slmkhoo wrote:.. What do you feel are the problems with NLB's e-library lending? Other than the search categories not being fine enough for easy browsing, we've found the e-lending experience fine so far.

The availability of books!!! It is impossible to get books that we want to read without being put on the waiting list for weeks. :faint:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:41 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:.. What do you feel are the problems with NLB's e-library lending? Other than the search categories not being fine enough for easy browsing, we've found the e-lending experience fine so far.

The availability of books!!! It is impossible to get books that we want to read without being put on the waiting list for weeks. :faint:

I guess we are more the 'read whatever is available' type. We just pick from what is available, and when we do get on a waitlist, it usually takes only a week or 2.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winchester » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:24 am

depends lah. not every kid got access to smartphone or ipad to read ebooks, if young children is one target audience.

what bugs me is that opening libraries is good, but use taxpayers money to open in orchard? siao. i clapped and cheered when they closed the one at taka. they already have "city" brances at esplanade and the flagship at bras basah. why another high rental orchard one!

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schweppes » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:13 am

winchester wrote:

depends lah. not every kid got access to smartphone or ipad to read ebooks, if young children is one target audience.

:hi5:

Agree, not every households have access to handheld or electronic devices. So, must cater to this segment of the market.

Also, I always feel that pre-primary and primary sch students should still read books the old fashioned way. Enjoy the simple pleasures of turning the page or running our fingers along the bookshelves at bookstores or library to find a title that calls out to us, or the ease of re-reading favorite passages of a physical book. There's time and place for kids to be exposed to e-books as they grow older.

winchester wrote:what bugs me is that opening libraries is good, but use taxpayers money to open in orchard? siao. i clapped and cheered when they closed the one at taka. they already have "city" brances at esplanade and the flagship at bras basah. why another high rental orchard one!

Maybe NLB wants to make the library more accessible via mrt? :idea: The ones at Esplanade (out of the way?) and Central Library (near but not that near to mrt stations) can be far for the elderly and parents with strollers and prams to walk to from City Hall or Bras Basah mrt stations.

Think there'll always be this appeal of Orchard to the public - it's all about lifestyle now.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Recess Time