Teacher's Day gifts

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

What the gifts that you've given to your kid's teachers?

Ask the child to make cards and put their art & craft skills to good use.
31%
Flowers
5%
Pens
11%
Something homemade eg. bake a cake, cookies,etc...?
15%
Others
31%
Never bother to get any gift.
7%

Total votes : 147

Teacher's Day gifts

Postby MMM » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:45 pm

With teacher's day approaching, wanted to hear what are the gifts that parents usually get or do you simply get the kid to make a card?

I am always in the dilemma on what to give because given the no. of teachers each child has + enrichment lessons, this number can be significant... In addition, there are also some teachers that we want to make use of this opportunity to show our appreciation and wonder what to get.

So was hoping to get some good affordable gift ideas.

Last year, we happened to be in BKK before teacher's day. As 90% of the kids' teachers are female, I actually bought them Naraya pouches, etc... I personally it presentable and "cheap" as the Naraya products are known to be significantly cheaper in BKK.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby csc » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:27 pm

I usually get boxes of chocolates for their main teachers and fav teachers. As for subject teachers, it's red pens. I believe in practical gifts.
Other than Teachers' Day, I usually get my kids to write a Thank you card and present a farewell gift for their teachers when the year ends.
It's the thought that counts. :lol:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:34 pm

DD has asked me about this and I told her she could make cards for them since she loves crafts. I think she was intimidated by the no. of cards she'll need to make so I suggested giving her ready-made blank cards which she can customise. Luckily, I have the habit of buying nice mutli-purpose card sets when I travel.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:39 pm

csc wrote:As for subject teachers, it's red pens. I believe in practical gifts. :lol:

Hi,

I am just curious.... Do you think the teachers are being provided free flow of red pens in school (eg. like the office stationery supplies)??? :?

A friend did mentioned before the gift should not be expensive other otherwise they must declare or cannot accept. I wonder if that is really practised.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby RRMummy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:42 pm

MMM wrote:A friend did mentioned before the gift should not be expensive

just wondering.. in this case, what is the definition of expensive?

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schellen » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:44 pm

MMM wrote:
csc wrote:As for subject teachers, it's red pens. I believe in practical gifts. :lol:

Hi,

I am just curious.... Do you think the teachers are being provided free flow of red pens in school (eg. like the office stationery supplies)??? :?

A friend did mentioned before the gift should not be expensive other otherwise they must declare or cannot accept. I wonder if that is really practised.

As far as I know, no, teachers do not get free flow of pens unless the sch is rich and generous. But get good boxes of red pens to save money and choose good-enough brands to avoid horrible "bleeding" incidents on the marked work with lousy pens. Just add a personalised (gift) card and it's complete.

Yes, also cannot be expensive cos it's difficult to accept. However, if it looks expensive but is made by the student, it should be okay since it was made with care and love and given with sincerity.

Teachers appreciate practical gifts cos teachers have limited space and live in homes like ours too. If you were the recipient of 5-6 "Thank you Teacher" cushions or table decor, how would you feel?

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ImMeeMee » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:47 pm

My girls go to clay class and have accumulated quite a lot of clay pieces along the way. So this year I have told them that we can choose one piece for each teacher. and they can help to do the wrapping.

the girls are quite excited. just that i havent got down to doing it with them yet :P

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:52 pm

RRMummy wrote:
MMM wrote:A friend did mentioned before the gift should not be expensive

just wondering.. in this case, what is the definition of expensive?

I think $5 max should be ok for a gift, provided the giver can afford it. The teacher should know whether $5 is acceptable depending on the student's family financial status. However, if it costs more but is shared among a no. of people, then it is up to the teacher to decide.

So you see, it is best to not buy expensive stuff or not buy at all to prevent dilemmas like these from occurring. Just make something simple will be enough. (Or if the student is rather playful, maybe he/she can write a "promise" to be on good behaviour for a period of time. :wink: )

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby RRMummy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:04 pm

schellen wrote:(Or if the student is rather playful, maybe he/she can write a "promise" to be on good behaviour for a period of time. :wink: )

Good idea, schellen!

I'm sure DD1's teacher will be very happy if she promise to stop talking even for one-day!! :wink:

Wah... that will be a torture for my DD.. :lol:

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Andaiz » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:33 pm

schellen wrote:(Or if the student is rather playful, maybe he/she can write a "promise" to be on good behaviour for a period of time. :wink: )

Wonderful idea, Schellen!

My gals' school principal sent a circular for the pupils NOT to send any presents over....except perhaps homemade cards.

I think I'd get them to start baking :-) :wink:

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time