How to "search"?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How to "search"?

Postby westmom » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:41 pm

I realise that when I try to search for something - i am not brought right to the page but to the topic headings (which probably has the word) which can be many many...looking for needle in the haystack! Am I doing this right?

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby bwpj2000 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:53 pm

which search engine are you using? most search engines like google, yahoo, msn etc. use crawling machines which look for matching title or words. try searching with more specific terms. the above is from my experience. sometimes these searches can really make me :stupid: [/i]

bwpj2000
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: How to "search"?

Postby BigDevil » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:56 pm

westmom wrote:I realise that when I try to search for something - i am not brought right to the page but to the topic headings (which probably has the word) which can be many many...looking for needle in the haystack! Am I doing this right?

On the left side of the search page under search options, there is an option to "Display results as:" and radio buttons for you to choose "Posts" or "Topics". The default is Topics, so perhaps you change it to Posts and try again?

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby bwpj2000 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:15 pm

oh i thought it was a public search! :lol: :oops:

bwpj2000
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby westmom » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:00 pm

I tried again & it didn't seem to work. For example, i tried the word "calculator" and these posts came up. It didn't have the word "calculator" in these postings?

Forum: Languages, Speech and Drama Posted: 28 Jul 2009 05:43 Subject: Teaching Chinese at Home
Hello Tamarind

Thanks for sharing so much. I you. With full time work and coaching kids yourself seemed really super to me.

I need your advise. With my k1 dd only started berries las ...
Topic: Teaching Chinese at Home
tamarind

Replies: 68
Views: 4807
Forum: Languages, Speech and Drama Posted: 27 Jul 2009 10:56 Subject: Teaching Chinese at Home
Thanks Tamarind

I went to popular yesterday and got a copy of the Ji Chu Han Zi as recommended in your earlier post. But its a pity that they have only 1 book left. Will check out Union if they sti ...
Topic: [Choa Chu Kang] Primary Schools
ChiefKiasu

Replies: 711
Views: 30707
Forum: Primary Schools - Selection and Registration Posted: 17 Jul 2009 18:48 Subject: [Choa Chu Kang] Primary Schools
Treat it as a maths quiz... your training as a mother to a child who is about to enter the tough world of Singapore Primary school education, where the math is so much tougher than this.

So did i p ...
Topic: [Choa Chu Kang] Primary Schools
jedamum

Replies: 711
Views: 30707
Forum: Primary Schools - Selection and Registration Posted: 17 Jul 2009 15:59 Subject: [Choa Chu Kang] Primary Schools
Treat it as a maths quiz... your training as a mother to a child who is about to enter the tough world of Singapore Primary school education, where the math is so much tougher than this.

So did i p ...

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby BigDevil » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:39 pm

westmom wrote:I tried again & it didn't seem to work. For example, i tried the word "calculator" and these posts came up. It didn't have the word "calculator" in these postings?

Forum: Languages, Speech and Drama Posted: 28 Jul 2009 05:43 Subject: Teaching Chinese at Home

Hi westmom,

I tried what you did, searching for calculator and came up with the same search results.

Then clicking the subject (quoted in red above), I was taken to the post and it does have the word calculator in it.

So the search does work for me. :celebrate:

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby schellen » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:49 pm

Maybe you can help the search engine by being more specific with your keyword(s)? Then, the "hits" will be more relevant to you.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby westmom » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:53 pm

BigDevil wrote:
westmom wrote:I tried again & it didn't seem to work. For example, i tried the word "calculator" and these posts came up. It didn't have the word "calculator" in these postings?

Hi westmom,

I tried what you did, searching for calculator and came up with the same search results.

Then clicking the subject (quoted in red above), I was taken to the post and it does have the word calculator in it.

So the search does work for me. :celebrate:

Thank you Big Devil- you are a gem & i am a blur! One more thing, after clicking on one post, and i click "back" arrow, it does not bring back to the original search postings. I have to type the search all over again. right?

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:05 pm

westmom wrote:Thank you Big Devil- you are a gem & i am a blur! One more thing, after clicking on one post, and i click "back" arrow, it does not bring back to the original search postings. I have to type the search all over again. right?

Maybe you can do this instead:
1. Right-click on the link that you want to check out.
2. A drop-down window will appear.
3. Choose "Open in new tab".
4. The link will open in a new tab.
5. When you are done checking that link, you can choose to close that tab if you don't want it anymore.
6. This will "preserve" the original search list in a separate tab.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BigDevil » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:05 pm

westmom wrote:Thank you Big Devil- you are a gem & i am a blur! One more thing, after clicking on one post, and i click "back" arrow, it does not bring back to the original search postings. I have to type the search all over again. right?

Er...no leh. It goes right back to the search results for me. Would you happen to click the back arrow twice?? What web browser are you using? :?

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Next

Return to Recess Time