Afternoon naps

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Afternoon naps

Postby pea » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi. Was wondering how old your children were when they stopped taking their afternoon naps. :snooze:

My boy, who is turning 3 soon, has been enrolled into a preschool afternoon session. Unfortunately, its morning sessions are full and I've been put on waiting list, so I decided to try out the school's afternoon class first. The class runs from 1 to 6pm. Which means he can't take his usual afternoon nap.

Any parents out there facing this same problem too? Are your children able to miss the afternoon nap with no problems?

pea
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Afternoon naps

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:34 pm

pea wrote:Hi. Was wondering how old your children were when they stopped taking their afternoon naps. :snooze:

My boy, who is turning 3 soon, has been enrolled into a preschool afternoon session. Unfortunately, its morning sessions are full and I've been put on waiting list, so I decided to try out the school's afternoon class first. The class runs from 1 to 6pm. Which means he can't take his usual afternoon nap.

Any parents out there facing this same problem too? Are your children able to miss the afternoon nap with no problems?

Did the preschool specifically state no afternoon naps? I remember afternoon naps were removed when my kids were in K2.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:20 pm

When my DD reached 5 or so, she only took naps occasionally. However, we still asked her to rest her eyes, lie down or do something calming and relaxing like read or draw, etc. Anything that doesn't involve active, boisterous play. Now that she is in P1, she tells us that sometimes, she doesn't really take naps at After School Care.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:33 pm

Actually for 3yo, they still need their nap at least 1hr per day.

Since your child is attending school from 1-6pm, my suggestion would be to change your child's schedule:
7am - wake up
10am - nap for 1-2 hours
9pm - bedtime

Or you can forgo the nap but need to adjust bedtime to an earlier time. My boy is 2.5yo now and he still needs around 2 hours of nap a day. If he misses his nap, he'll fall asleep 2-3 hours before his usual bedtime. & you will see eyebags. So no matter what, we will arrange his enrichments before or after his nap times.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby IJJ » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Elder child did away her afternoon nap since 5 yo, younger one, currently 3 yo, afternoon nap is still a must-have.

IJJ
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pea » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks for all your replies.

The afternoon class is a repetition of the morning class, so no time for naps. I was told that most of the children in the class sleep early at night and wake up late (like 10am), so they don't need afternoon nap.

I too have reservations about putting him in afternoon class, but not much choice as all the pre-schools close to my place are full in the morning!

pea
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Fairy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:59 pm

pea wrote:Hi. Was wondering how old your children were when they stopped taking their afternoon naps. :snooze:

Hi,
My daughter is 12 and still taking her afternoon naps! Her school's single session and dismiss at 1.30pm. She'll have her lunch after she reaches home & sleeps till evening. When she has to stay back for supplementary class or CCAs, she'll reach home around 5pm & sleep till it's time for dinner. She wakes up at 5plus in the morning and sleeps around 9 plus to 10pm at night. She used to sleep at 8.30pm when she was in her lower primary. Don't understand why she needs so much sleep!

My son used to sleep as much as my daughter when he was in primary school. Now in sec1, he simply has no time for such luxury.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:41 pm

Fairy wrote:Hi,
My daughter is 12 and still taking her afternoon naps! Her school's single session and dismiss at 1.30pm. She'll have her lunch after she reaches home & sleeps till evening. When she has to stay back for supplementary class or CCAs, she'll reach home around 5pm & sleep till it's time for dinner. She wakes up at 5plus in the morning and sleeps around 9 plus to 10pm at night. She used to sleep at 8.30pm when she was in her lower primary. Don't understand why she needs so much sleep!

My son used to sleep as much as my daughter when he was in primary school. Now in sec1, he simply has no time for such luxury.

When I was schooling I took naps, even when I was in poly!
I would reach home around 2.30pm during sec sch time, bathe, eat lunch, nap from 3-6pm, wake up for TV & dinner, then proceed to do my homework. & I'll sleep by 10pm.

Even now I still take naps in the afternoons if time permits (usually once or twice a week).

Some people just need more sleep, some can do with very little sleep.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:14 pm

pea wrote:Thanks for all your replies.

The afternoon class is a repetition of the morning class, so no time for naps. I was told that most of the children in the class sleep early at night and wake up late (like 10am), so they don't need afternoon nap.

I too have reservations about putting him in afternoon class, but not much choice as all the pre-schools close to my place are full in the morning!

I am not comfortable with children waking up so late. It could be a very difficult habit to break in future. My elder boy was used to waking up late. He had a hard time adjusting to morning session in P2.

I believe the reason why presch are full in the morning is proof that the afternoon arrangement is not favourable. If you are a SAHM and could keep your child at home for the meantime, then put your name on waitlist for morning slot. Besides, a 3 y.o. really does not need to go to presch. JMHO

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby westmom » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:44 pm

Fairy wrote:Hi,

Fairy - Your dd's pattern is unusual ! I assume she is in P6 and most P6s do not have the luxury of sleeping many hours! She must be quite smart to be able to afford to "sleep" much more.

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time