After school...

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

After school...

Postby shinri » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:47 am

I need some opinions & advice..
DD is going N1 in Feb, of course school ends at 5pm and the school can take care of her until 7pm.
The thing is, DD has been cared for by a nanny all along & her dinner time is always at 5pm. I can only reach home around 6.30pm at maybe pick her up 6.45pm.
I have a few options:
1) If I cook her dinner, it can only be ready around 7pm+. Worried she'll be too hungry, plus it's bit hassle & tiring to cook after work & wash the dishes afterwards.

2) Ask my mum-in-law (who's living 1 floor above) to fetch her & cook, feed her dinner. I don't really like this because MIL's cooking tends towards salty side. Besides, although there is a maid, she still has to take care of her husband (who has stroke) & another 2 yr old & 4yr old who are extremely naughty. I also worry DD will pick up bad habits & become naughty like them.

3) Ask the nanny to pick her up, provide her dinner & care for her until we pick her up. Probably about 2hours or more per day.
I haven't asked the nanny yet, worry she may reject.

4) Ask company for special arrangement; i.e. leave work an hour early to pick DD up & cook her dinner. Of course I'll have to take a pay cut, probably around $200-300.
Not sure if company can actually have this type of arrangement though.
But if all else fails, I'd rather take this option than having MIL option...

I'll be happy to hear your opinions & advice on this.
How do the average FTWM handle this kind of issue?

shinri
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: After school...

Postby nms1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:45 am

If it were me, I would just try to gradually change her routine. You can probably give her a small snack to eat at school while she is waiting - bread, fruit, crackers - just enough to take the edge off her appetite.

Prepare dinner in advance as much as possible - something that can be warmed up while she plays or just watches TV for a while. There are a lot of things that you can cook in bulk then freeze into portions. Just take it out of the freezer and put into the fridge in the morning. I know a lot of people use slow cookers or electric hotpots to have something ready when they are home. You can also buy back sometimes - maybe once a week - to give yourself a break.
Last edited by nms1 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:50 pm

My personal take on these

1) Kid need to adjust dinenr time and parents need to rush home and cook...that would be my last choice.

2) Extremely naughty? What makes you think she will not meet the same kind in school? Salty food? Does the kids take the same food as the adult?
Personally, having parents or IL living nearby is a huge bonus if you have no relationship problem with them. If she can pick her up at 5.30/6pm, then bathe and makan...just nice for you to come home.

3) Also an option...money only mah since nanny was already looking after her before.

4) You can always ask your HR dept or your immed boss if can come in earlier and leave earlier. But still back to (1).

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ran1977 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:19 pm

nms1 wrote:If it were me, I would just try to gradually change her routine. You can probably give her a small snack to eat at school while she is waiting - bread, fruit, crackers - just enough to take the edge off her appetite.

Prepare dinner in advance as much as possible - something that can be warmed up while she plays or just watches TV for a while. There are a lot of things that you can cook in bulk then freeze into portions. Just take it out of the freezer and put into the fridge in the morning. I know a lot of people use slow cookers or electric hotpots to have something ready when they are home. You can also buy back sometimes - maybe once a week - to give yourself a break.

I agree - that is what I am doing:)

Ran1977
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby shinri » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:41 pm

Nebbermind wrote:2) Extremely naughty? What makes you think she will not meet the same kind in school? Salty food? Does the kids take the same food as the adult?
Personally, having parents or IL living nearby is a huge bonus if you have no relationship problem with them. If she can pick her up at 5.30/6pm, then bathe and makan...just nice for you to come home.

Well, I hope to reduce as much 'naughty' environment as possible. My MIL's cooking is very salty by adult standards so I think having as less salt as possible is more healthy.
Most times, if the grandchildren want to eat snack or tidbits for dinner, she also allows.. which I don't want happening on DD.
Anyway this will be my last choice...

Thanks everyone for your input!

I think tonight I will check with nanny whether she is ok.
Perhaps I'm bit lazy but thinking to cook everyday and then wash the dishes.. Washing the dishes puts me off

shinri
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby shinri » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:44 pm

nms1 wrote:If it were me, I would just try to gradually change her routine. You can probably give her a small snack to eat at school while she is waiting - bread, fruit, crackers - just enough to take the edge off her appetite.

I'm new to cooking.. still beginner stage, so what things can be frozen & then reheated later?
Rice? Soup? Vegetables?

shinri
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:15 pm

shinri wrote:I'm new to cooking.. still beginner stage, so what things can be frozen & then reheated later?
Rice? Soup? Vegetables?

I prefer not to freeze vegetables as they lose their crunchiness. I mostly freeze meat, with or without a sauce. If I freeze with a sauce, then I add vegetables during the reheating. If I freeze without sauce, I add seasonings and vegetables during the reheating. One-dish meals save time and washing. Rice cooks quite fast or you can set a timer and have the rice cooker switch on before you get home. I don't find that there is a lot to wash - one pot for the food, one pot for the rice, plates and cutlery.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shinri » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:52 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I prefer not to freeze vegetables as they lose their crunchiness. I mostly freeze meat, with or without a sauce. If I freeze with a sauce, then I add vegetables during the reheating. If I freeze without sauce, I add seasonings and vegetables during the reheating. One-dish meals save time and washing. Rice cooks quite fast or you can set a timer and have the rice cooker switch on before you get home. I don't find that there is a lot to wash - one pot for the food, one pot for the rice, plates and cutlery.

Marinated meat can be frozen?
Setting timer is a good idea.. thanks for the idea!
Hmm I heard rice can be kept in the fridge (not freezer compartment) & used the next day, is this true?

shinri
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby limlim » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:43 pm

2 is the most sensible.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:44 pm

shinri wrote:Hmm I heard rice can be kept in the fridge (not freezer compartment) & used the next day, is this true?

That is how fried rice are prepared... isn't it?

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time