Foreign cyclist causes traffic jam as he blocks car after be

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Foreign cyclist causes traffic jam as he blocks car after be

Postby MR06 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:51 pm

Saw this in Stomp, have you had any problem with cyclists on the road?
Text as copied, go to the link to see photos.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp ... oving.html

Stomp reader John's father sounded his car horn to alert this foreign cyclist to his presence, the cyclist reacted angrily and stopped his bike right in front of the vehicle, refusing to budge and causing a jam.

John elaborates;

"This happened on the Jan 13 at 11.30am.

"I was in the car with my dad (who was driving) along the road behind Beauty World when this occurred.

"Do note that the road has two lanes and we were in the first lane from the left about to enter the filter lane when we spotted this cyclist (foreigner) cycling between (right in the middle of the road from the left and the right lane).

"As we wanted to pass safely to the filter lane, we horn to let him know we were behind about to past just in case he wanted to go back to the left side of the road.

"This is the best part. He accelerated from the middle of the two lanes to right IN FRONT of our car in the first lane and promptly stopped.

"This caused us to jam break just to avoid a collision with him. After which he got off his bike and started shouting vulgarities and showed rude hand gestures and even INVITED US TO A FIGHT.

"This also caused a jam as he refused to move thus forcing us to overtake him via the middle lane. I took out my hand phone and snapped a few pictures just in case we needed them for evidence.

"We were also in a rush for an appointment and decided to ignore him and carry on.

"But the horror was far from over. As we were passing him, he punched and hit the side of our car wanting to break our side mirror.

"Honestly, I am an avid cyclist myself although not a roadie but a MTB rider and I do use the road at times as it's necessary, but I have never strayed from the left side of the road and I am really disgusted at this guy’s actions.

"To him: You are currently a very aggressive cyclist and pose a road hazard to other road users. You should be removed from cycling on the road and punished accordingly.

"You may not know the road rules in Singapore being a foreigner but you should take the effort to read up on the rules and safety before even cycling on our roads.

"Being and choosing to stay in Singapore means you must abide by our rules in our country, if this kind of outrageous behaviour and road etiquette is allowed in your country, I suggest you stay there and not come here to our country and cause such trouble."

MR06
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Foreign cyclist causes traffic jam as he blocks car afte

Postby tankee » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:41 pm

IMHO

that's just one side of the story which may or may not be the whole truth

:)

tankee
Site Admin

Postby pirate » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:59 pm

I suppose it may depend on the definition of "horn", "safely" and "rush". :wink:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Attolia » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:44 am

I would say the cyclist seems overly aggressive, but on the other hand, speaking as someone who lives overseas, when I went to Singapore last year, I noticed a lot of excessive honking, even from my relatives. In NZ, honking generally means ‘what the hell are you doing?’ and is an expression of anger or frustration. Nobody honks to warn cyclists that they’re behind them, as it’s liable to cause alarm and then accidents. That said, many (but not all) cyclists tend to hog roads, and there’s nothing more frustrating than being behind a pack of cyclists riding three abreast. That’s just selfish.
Last edited by Attolia on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attolia
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Just relax » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:24 am

In Singapore a honk can be both a friendly reminder that I am behind you or to move on or an angry response to another road user. It all depends. I guess each country has its own driving culture. For example in India you are expected to use your horn all the time. It is not right to drive on the road in India without even once using your horn! Nobody takes offense. It is part of the hustle and bustle of India and the cacophony of sounds that you hear everyday.

Just relax
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 3Boys » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:17 am

It's interesting that the title has to be 'Foreign cyclist', as opposed to 'Cyclist'. Try being stuck behind a peloton all the way up South Buona Vista road, plenty of locals in that mix.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MR06 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:20 am

3Boys wrote:It's interesting that the title has to be 'Foreign cyclist', as opposed to 'Cyclist'. Try being stuck behind a peloton all the way up South Buona Vista road, plenty of locals in that mix.

Me lazy lah, just copy title from Stomp.....

MR06
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Irrelevant » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 am

tankee wrote:IMHO

that's just one side of the story which may or may not be the whole truth

Agree.

pirate wrote:I suppose it may depend on the definition of "horn", "safely" and "rush".

Agree 2. :smile:

Irrelevant
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 3Boys » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:18 am

MR06 wrote:
3Boys wrote:It's interesting that the title has to be 'Foreign cyclist', as opposed to 'Cyclist'. Try being stuck behind a peloton all the way up South Buona Vista road, plenty of locals in that mix.

Me lazy lah, just copy title from Stomp.....

Not referring to you, just the stomp title.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:30 pm

The author have been trying very hard to emphasize "foreigner".

Maybe he feel that he may not get as much support if he didn't highlight this.. :evil:

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time