Do teachers teach these days?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do teachers teach these days?

Postby kamom » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Or they expect the kids to know because they all have tuition. I am probably one of the minorities who have refused tuition for my kids. How many parents here DO NOT send their kids fro tuition classes?

kamom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Do teachers teach these days?

Postby J and J » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:27 pm

Me too. You are not alone. I emailled all my DD's teachers highlighting to them my dd has no tuition. :celebrate: :dancing:

J and J
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sunflower » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 pm

My children do not have tuition and their school teachers DO teach. :smile:

sunflower
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby CayennePepper » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:39 pm

kamom wrote:Or they expect the kids to know because they all have tuition. I am probably one of the minorities who have refused tuition for my kids. How many parents here DO NOT send their kids fro tuition classes?

I have a p2 and a p4. No tuition/academic enrichment. In my p2's class, many have CL enrichment only. When my ds was in p3, i gathered most had CL only at the beginning of the year. But by the end of the year, 75% were looking for science tuition because a surprising SA2 paper caught parents off guard.

CayennePepper
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Skyed » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Just graduated from Sec 4... All teachers teach... The issue is whether they teach well or not =.=

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:05 pm

kamom wrote:Or they expect the kids to know because they all have tuition. I am probably one of the minorities who have refused tuition for my kids. How many parents here DO NOT send their kids fro tuition classes?

My kids have no tuition either, unless you consider their weekly Chinese enrichment classes as tuition. But certainly not on a one-on-one basis. So you are actually not in the minority.

If teachers do not teach, what do you think they do in school?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Suz855 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:43 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:

My kids have no tuition either, unless you consider their weekly Chinese enrichment classes as tuition. But certainly not on a one-on-one basis. So you are actually not in the minority.

The teacher helps our children to build character by telling them stories .... :rotflmao:

Honestly that is what my girl English teacher does, n we succumb to tuition :moneyflies: :shrug:

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kamom » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:50 pm

Skyed wrote:Just graduated from Sec 4... All teachers teach... The issue is whether they teach well or not =.=

That's a good one :wink:

ChiefKiasu wrote:

They are facilitators? :roll:

Teach as in explaining concepts, teaching how to apply these concepts in their work, allow Q & A.

kamom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:56 pm

kamom wrote:They are facilitators? :roll:

Teach as in explaining concepts, teaching how to apply these concepts in their work, allow Q & A.

There are 2 broad approaches to education: constructivist vs objectivist. A brief but effective comparison of these approaches can be found here.

I believe you subscribe more to the objectivist view :) . But for better or worse, education in Singapore is shifting more to the constructivist approach. The case in point are the changes to the 2015 English PSLE exam format, which requires higher ordered critical thinking, and not just mastery of the English language.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby kamom » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:17 pm

I like critical thinking and I think they are excellent for children BUT only at a higher level. I allow my older kid to engage in mental sparring with me.

Children at elementary level should focus on writing using good grammar, strong vocab. How to write critically when one can't even write fluently.

Our system is so wishy washy.

kamom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time