How to explain EMA from the media to children?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How to explain EMA from the media to children?

Postby resgmom » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:23 am

They're bound to read or hear about it either from the papers themselves, or from their friends. How do you parents explain to your children about

Abortion/Pregnancy out of wedlock
EMA / The reason a married guy would stray and have affairs
Prostitution
The reason a smart, highly educated girl would fall into so many traps that it's almost unthinkable (is it parenting? not enough attention? what's wrong?)

etc etc?

I am struggling to explain and discuss all of these adult issues with my P6 boy. I feel that these media attention are great opportunities to discuss issues on BGR and even deeper issues like the above, and I don't want to miss the opportunity. But I don't know where to start!

resgmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to explain EMA from the media to children?

Postby Mawar » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Different folks different strokes. It depends on the level of communication in each family.

For us, we start from the beginning. We level with the kids. You ask we answer albeit a bit of tidying around the edges, and depending on level of maturity.

We emphasis the sanctity of marriage. My kids see us squabble but they also see how we compromise. They know what it means to have a complete home vs a broken one. They have friends who come from single parent families.

We teach them Choice. We teach consequences of making a Choice. Whatever they choose, they must be able to live with it.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:31 am

Explaining EMA was tricky...but explaining oral sex was many times worst !!!
When Gay's case with Cecilia was splashed on newspapers, son asked me what IT was. I looked at hubby and he looked at me. After I told him what oral sex is, he covered his mouth in horror...disgusted.
No point hiding...it's about time to teach him more about birds and bees...after all, P6 science does have a topic on reproduction in human.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:05 am

janet_lee88 wrote:Explaining EMA was tricky...but explaining oral sex was many times worst !!!
When Gay's case with Cecilia was splashed on newspapers, son asked me what IT was. I looked at hubby and he looked at me. After I told him what oral sex is, he covered his mouth in horror...disgusted.
No point hiding...it's about time to teach him more about birds and bees...after all, P6 science does have a topic on reproduction in human.

:faint: How to explain IT? :faint: :faint: :faint:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mawar » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:31 am

janet_lee88 wrote:Explaining EMA was tricky...but explaining oral sex was many times worst !!!

:siam: My kids have yet to ask us that. We have not gone there yet. :evil:

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:50 am

Well, there were lots of ahems and erm....and son was looking at me intently. Just say it with a straight face...I rather he gets such birds and bees info from home than listening to friends in school.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time