Our 10,000th member

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Our 10,000th member

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:55 pm

I've been sitting here refreshing my screen for the past 15mins, trying to catch the moment when KiasuParents.com reaches a key milestone - our 10,000th member. It reminds me of the days back in Dec 2007 when we were so excited when the very first stranger actually took the trouble to sign up as a member and make a post in our Kiasu Forums.

We named ourselves KiasuParents.com, partly tongue-in-cheek, but mostly as a reference to the fundamental motivations that drive parents' supposedly "kiasu" behavior.

The last 21 months have been an incredible and most fulfilling journey for us, where we have total strangers coming onboard with us to share their deepest fears, concerns and hopes for their children. Along the way, some have come and gone, while others have continued to stay to help out in our quest to equip Singapore's parents with the necessary information and knowledge to bring up our children in the best way we can. Regardless, every single post and comment leaves that bit of wisdom which may seem insignificant for those who already possess it, yet immeasurably useful to others who are desperately looking for it. And all these pieces come together to form our huge repository of shared knowledge, derived from practitioners (ie. parents like ourselves), and not merely the brain-child of some talented expert in child education.

Like most people, before I had a child, I had a few theories myself about parenting. Now I have 2 children and no theories. We all have our own ideas about bringing up junior, but every child is too unique to respond uniformly to a specific parenting style. What works for one may not work as well for another, even amongst siblings. So as parents, it is necessary to see our role as navigators for our children, not to push them, but to tell them what may lie ahead depending on which fork they choose to take whenever they reach a crossroad they must pass in their lives. And what we ourselves know about what lies ahead is limited by our own experiences. This is where the true benefit of having an open platform for parent-sharing lies. We learn from each other's experience, and being open, the community itself will serve as the ultimate moderator and help sieve the facts from the myths.

Through KiasuParents.com, I have personally benefitted from the shared wisdom of the community. I have met so many wonderful and caring people which I treat as my personal friends. And I can finally understand why Maria Montessori made the fundamental rule in her early childhood education programme - always treat the child as a young adult. Our children are not ours to control or to push to meet our own objectives - they are human beings with their own predilections and dreams to follow. And every dream is good - it is unnatural for anyone to aspire to be a bad or useless person! Our duties as parents are to respect our children, encourage compassion, instill strong principles, and a thirst for learning - essentially preparing them to do their own duties effectively in the not-so-distant future when THEY take over our roles in nation building while caring for their own children.
Let me take this opportunity to welcome our first 10,000 member at 4:40pm 15 Aug 2009 - chillypadi, and to thank our KiasuParents.com community for the wonderful times we've had. And may we gather in strength and wisdom, so that we can continue to help more Singapore parents to become better parents to our children!

Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:05 pm

Considering visiting forums are usually mummies' forte, this 10,000th member is a daddy (as per profile); what are the odds?

welcome on board chillypadi! 8)

Postby tankee » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:42 pm

congrats KSP !

Site Admin

Postby westmom » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Congrats Chief and KSP! May KSP continues to grow with strength and wisdom....

Postby kaydenbrown » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:04 pm

All the best to kiasu forums and I really enjoy my stay here though it has only been a few days.

Postby Jennifer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Chief, :thankyou:

Postby ZacK » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Wow... Another achievement for KSP :celebrate:

Postby phantom » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:27 pm

Well written! Thanks to all the knowledge KSP members shared with all of us. :celebrate:
Last edited by phantom on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Congrats KSP

Postby AnalectsReader » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:00 pm

Dear Chief & KSP,
Wow what an event! Lucky didn't miss out the fun today :celebrate:
:thankyou: ...for bringing more colours into my life...

Postby Andaiz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:03 am

Indeed a milestone for KSP.com!

:rahrah: :rahrah: :rahrah: :rahrah:

I'm usually not much of a forumer but the ppl here and the topics discussed really touch a chord in my heart! :love:

:congrats: Chief...let's aim for our quarter of a 100k!

Return to Recess Time