Hoarding...

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do you think ChiefKiasu is suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Behavior?

Definitely - lock him up and throw away the key!
6%
Sure - but he'll get better with a bit of therapy and medication.
11%
Yes - but don't waste the money on his medical bills lah - better to use it to pay for KSP's hosting charges!
78%
No - I think I'm more siao than him.
6%

Total votes : 18

Postby jedamum » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:02 pm

i am definitely a hoarder.
i keep until my husband make noise. :oops:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby daisyt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:17 pm

I am definately NOT !
I only chuck the credit cards receipts in a box and throw them away after one year, no filling because I hate filling.
Whatever bills - I open, see, tear and down to the dustbin. Nowadays with internet banking, on-line statement, I don't bother to keep. I would keep receipts of items bought that come with warranty.

I am the type throw until everyone make noise ! haha
Long long ago, one day, I was tidying my girl's table, I torn her worksheet. Hearing the tearing sound, she asked me what I torn. I really don't know lor and after taking a second look, I showed her. She screamed and cried, its her school worksheet ! Lucky able to tape it back and photocopy, not seriously torn. :D Good point is, from there onwards, she never allow me to touch her desk or bookshelf, she would tidy herself.

My hubby also never allow me to touch his things or tidy his stuffs because once I threw away his medical cream and I forget I actually threw it. After some serious thought, then I remember I threw away a flat, used up tube cream. But to him, there is still a little bit left to use. :D :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:21 pm

insider, you are really a neat and organise person !! :celebrate:

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:34 pm

DD and DH hoard more than me, way way more. I have given up packing for DD. If I clear them away from her work table, she may later (sometimes, months later) look for it and then DH and DD will blame me for putting it away without telling her. So now, all the stuff she brings back from sch/childcare/grannies' homes/outings/travels, I will just dump them on her work table. If they stray to common areas, I will shove them back to her table. If she complains about her table, I will insist that she clean it up herself (which is like once in a blue moon). :roll:

As for DH, his areas are always cluttered, like DD. So the same goes for him too. If his stuff block the common areas, I shove them back to his areas. He doesn't complain about the mess though but I notice that he also takes forever to clean up the messes I shoved over. :|

As for me, my hoarded stuff look less cluttered and I do "spring clean" more often than DD and DH (for stuff that is easily accessible and only owned by me). As for bills, statements, etc, I will keep for a while but rather messily. Maybe after a year or so, when the drawers/boxes are full, I will get rid of the older stuff. :wink:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:42 pm

insider wrote:May I say hoarders are more kiasi people and 'thrashers' are more ching-chai ones (as in care free...)?

or hoarders are more sentimental people while thrashers are more practical?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schellen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:43 pm

insider wrote:Ah...sashimi may drop by to say "that's an ORGANISED MESS!" later...

Interesting to see the difference in character in terms of keeping or thrashing papers... May I say hoarders are more kiasi people and 'thrashers' are more ching-chai ones (as in care free...)?

sashimi can find what he needs, most of the time whereas DD tends to forget and then blames me for "forcing" her to pack up her table, where it was more accessible. I think her wish is to have a table with infinite capacity yet still look neat. :roll:

I wish to be more chin-chai but still a bit kiasi so I keep but can't be bothered to file properly. The only filing I do is that bank statements will be together, CPF statements together, etc.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:47 pm

jedamum wrote:or hoarders are more sentimental people while thrashers are more practical?
Yap ! Yap ! I am a very practical person leh ... :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:50 pm

i'm a thrower. And most of my important documents are in electronic formats with backups so I tend to throw most of the unimportant papers.

Dh is a hoarder. I was wondering why he keep saying he wants to get another shelf or 2 for the study cos i feel that we have more then enuf. Finally realised it recently when we had to shift the shelves to make space for the new piano. While emptying the shelves so that we can move them, I realise that my stuff occupy only 1/4 of all the shelves while his hogs the rest. And guess what they are, past issues of golf and motoring magazines!!!! From as far back as 2 years ago!

DH is also very appalled by the way I will throw out cartons of stuff without looking through them. My motto is if you haven't opened the box for the last 3yrs, you dun need what's in them so out they go. But DH will rummage through and then salvage practically everything. Well I guess in that sense we complement each other.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby daisyt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:56 pm

Funz wrote:While emptying the shelves so that we can move them, I realise that my stuff occupy only 1/4 of all the shelves while his hogs the rest. And guess what they are, past issues of golf and motoring magazines!!!! From as far back as 2 years ago!

My motto is if you haven't opened the box for the last 3yrs, you dun need what's in them so out they go. But DH will rummage through and then salvage practically everything. Well I guess in that sense we complement each other.

Oh my god ! You sounds exactly like me ! hahaha
My hubby's magazines are even older, more than 5 years !
My motto's period is slightly shorter than yours. I always tell them, anything you don't touch or use it for the last 1 year, its not important, therefore can throw.

Our store room is full of his stuffs ! sigh ..... Its his territory ...

Each time during spring cleaning, on one side, I throw. On the other side, they would go through and take out. :x

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:35 pm

insider wrote:I thot usually will be husband throws and wife picking from behind...

Not where our husbands are concerned. I was clearing out our closet and packing away some clothes to be brought to the salvation army. Here I am folding and putting the pieces of clothings into the box, there DH is picking out this or that piece saying nice wat why u dun want or still so new, so wasted. My reply, too small oredi, out of fashion, etc. His reply to that, you trying to lose weight rite, maybe after that can still wear, fashion goes in cycle, will be back in fashion again, etc. :stupid:

Daisyt, your timeframe is shorter cos you do more spring cleaning then me I guess. I hate housekeeping so will do such major cleaning only when absolutely necessary. Heheh.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time