Top schools obsession!

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Top schools obsession!

Postby TheAnswer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:04 am

Who are the ones being obsessed about entering top schools? Parents or students?

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Top schools obsession!

Postby janet88 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:15 am

TheAnswer wrote:Who are the ones being obsessed about entering top schools? Parents or students?

Probably the parents more than the kids.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vinegar » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:05 am

top school? no big deal....in fact, they're more problematic.

Admin staff r so ya-ya. The msg that we left to admin staff,always nvr reach the teacher.Wonder if the admin doesn't bother or the teacher creates excuse not to call bk the parent.

some teachers r good,give h/phone to parent,some don't...then got prob to contact them,coz they're not responsive to phone or email.

During parents n teacher meeting, some parents r so anxious to make sure their children in always good class every yr n asked every little single things.A mother who doesn't understand Chinese,made the chinese teacher to translate to english.At the end,the session ended up 2hrs instead of 1hr.

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Peony » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:26 am

Neither me nor my DD are obsessed with top schools.

She's in Sec 1 now in a school where she exceeds the COP comfortably. When new friends ask for her PSLE results, a common response after her answer is "why didn't u go to ___?" (RGS, NJC etc).

Nope, we have our own set of criteria which these schools do not meet.
I'm not saying they are not good enough for others.. just not good enough for us.

Others may think I am "depriving" my child of "good" education, but I simply do not believe that only top schools give good education. I want a balanced life for my DD and since school is mostly full day, location is equally important to me. She's spending 6 years there after all.

So, it's not how others define the "best" school. But the best fit for her. I know my child and the environment she best thrives in. Hence our selection criteria is unique to us.

Peony
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

2 people like this post

Postby Peony » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:29 am

vinegar wrote:top school? no big deal....in fact, they're more problematic.

Admin staff r so ya-ya. The msg that we left to admin staff,always nvr reach the teacher.Wonder if the admin doesn't bother or the teacher creates excuse not to call bk the parent.

some teachers r good,give h/phone to parent,some don't...then got prob to contact them,coz they're not responsive to phone or email.

During parents n teacher meeting, some parents r so anxious to make sure their children in always good class every yr n asked every little single things.A mother who doesn't understand Chinese,made the chinese teacher to translate to english.At the end,the session ended up 2hrs instead of 1hr.

Oh yes! SORRY if I offend anyone but this is a good point. Top schools attract certain negative side of parents even more.

I hardly encounter them in DD's primary school and now (so far) secondary school :dancing:

Peony
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:32 am

Wait a min!

Are we talking about the 4 TOP schools or TOP schools?? :scratchhead:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:45 am

vinegar wrote:Admin staff r so ya-ya. The msg that we left to admin staff,always nvr reach the teacher.Wonder if the admin doesn't bother or the teacher creates excuse not to call bk the parent.

Not just top schools but also popular schools.
The admin staff at the general office are arrogant.

Some parents are so obssessed that their kids are in top classes...they never fail to ask which is the top class and the top 3 classes. Classroom in son's primary school is used by 2 teachers...so we just had to hop over whichever queue is shorter. There was one mother who asked so many questions that we parents got pissed.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:53 am

vinegar wrote:
A mother who doesn't understand Chinese,made the chinese teacher to translate to english.At the end,the session ended up 2hrs instead of 1hr.

These type I detest a lot.. The MT teachers are not obligated to communicate in English, I feel.

Singnese maybe okay.. or MT peppered with English.. but to expect the MT teachers to speak entirely in English is too much. They are Language teachers, not Sci or Maths where English is the assigned medium.

If the parents cannot speak MT, get a translator themselves..

Don't hold up other parents who wants to talk to the teachers as well as give the MT teacher additional stress. MT teachers may not be well versed in English.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:17 am

limlim wrote:
vinegar wrote:
A mother who doesn't understand Chinese,made the chinese teacher to translate to english.At the end,the session ended up 2hrs instead of 1hr.

If the parents cannot speak MT, get a translator themselves..

Don't hold up other parents who wants to talk to the teachers as well as give the MT teacher additional stress. MT teachers may not be well versed in English.

each parent should be given just 10 min...like those actors/actresses who receive award. parents who ask so many questions are very inconsiderate bcos they don't put themselves in others' shoes.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:05 am

Peony wrote:
vinegar wrote:top school? no big deal....in fact, they're more problematic.

Oh yes! SORRY if I offend anyone but this is a good point. Top schools attract certain negative side of parents even more.

I hardly encounter them in DD's primary school and now (so far) secondary school :dancing:

oh dear! mine neighourhood school but i also anxious to ensure my kid in good class n ask every single details including criteria for next assessment! :siam:
this, i feel is not only limited to Top schools. :oops: :siam:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time