Should foreign spouses with SC kids be granted PR?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Yes, as a matter of course.
25%
Yes, unless there are exceptional circumstances such as criminal convictions.
53%
No, unless they or their spouse demonstrate that the family won't need financial support.
13%
Heck, no! We don't want more PRs!
9%

Total votes : 32

Postby pirate » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:30 pm

So far, I have heard nothing but silence from our gov when the issue of foreign spouses with SC kids being denied PR or even long-term visit plus passes are raised. This despite all the noise generated by the White Paper.

I am not talking about marriages of convenience here. I am talking about the fathers or mothers of Singaporean kids here.

Personally, I think it is outrageous that so many spouses from countries such as Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia, Indonesia etc are denied PR (I don't even want to talk about the LTVP+ because I feel it is a disgraceful cop-out) even after they have given birth to children who are Singapore citizens. I do not know what the rationale is. The gov has never, to my knowledge, published any rationale for this.

Apart from the obvious familial link, there is a certain hardiness about these people. I actually think that the majority of such spouses would make (in times to come if they apply for citizenship) good, resilient citizens. I would be more than happy to welcome them as fellow citizens, certainly more so than those 'better qualified' applicants who only look to Singapore as stepping stones to somewhere else, not to mention those much vilified cases where one spouse convert to SC while the other spouse remain PR.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Should foreign spouses with SC kids be granted PR?

Postby insider » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:41 pm

pirate,

My nephew married a Filipino. She only has an equivalent of O levels. My nephew met her while having a 3 months training in the Philippines.

They now have a daughter coming to two years old.

My nephew is drawing a salary of about $2000 per month. His wife was then on social visa for about two years (need to renew regularly). She cannot work as it is difficult to get a Work Permit. So my nephew has to slog with his salary to maintain his family.

Then the LTVP+ was introduced.

My nephew applied but was rejected without any reason given. Immigration just advised him to try again few months later.

My nephew requires the wife to work so that their financial situation will improve.

He went to the MP to write an appeal letter.

Just about 2 weeks ago the appeal was successful.

Now his wife is looking for a job.

Talking about the wife manages to obtain a PR status, I think it will be very tough coz Immigration has their own set of rules to qualify applications.

I really dont understand it either. I have a China Chinese teacher who obtained her PR after working less than 2 years in Singapore (I was so surprised that her application was approved so swiftly). Why my nephew's wife who looks like a decent enough person who will be going in to the service industry can be denied of even a LTVP+ in the first place.

Those go-by-the-book people set their own rules that puzzle others...

PS:

There was a stage whereby my mum and siblings were toying with the idea of getting my nephew's family to go and live in the Philippines (lower cost of living and then if they live there, both can work = better quality of lives).

I rationalised that the child must preferably be educated here (after all I own childcare centres and I am more confident that the child can develop better under part of my care here and also I prefer her to learn Chinese). After much discussion, the family stays put here (and I helped to secure a roof over their head coz that was my mum's main worry that I have to resolve for her. My this nephew is my mum's eldest and seem favourite grandson and if he were to shift, my mum may carry with herself more unnecessary 牵挂 til the day she kicks the bucket.).

If at that point of time the decision was for the whole family to shift to the Philippines, Singapore may have lost at least two citizens... (my niece in law is likely to produce another child later when financially they are more stable.)

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:02 am

insider wrote:pirate,

My nephew married a Filipino. She only has an equivalent of O levels. My nephew met her while having a 3 months training in the Philippines.

They now have a daughter coming to two years old.

My nephew is drawing a salary of about $2000 per month. His wife was then on social visa for about two years (need to renew regularly). She cannot work as it is difficult to get a Work Permit. So my nephew has to slog with his salary to maintain his family.

Then the LTVP+ was introduced.

My nephew applied but was rejected without any reason given. Immigration just advised him to try again few months later.

My nephew requires the wife to work so that their financial situation will improve.

He went to the MP to write an appeal letter.

Just about 2 weeks ago the appeal was successful.

Now his wife is looking for a job.

Talking about the wife manages to obtain a PR status, I think it will be very tough coz Immigration has their own set of rules to qualify applications.

And I shall continue to rail against the discriminatory policy and rules until the likes of your nephew's wife gets PR.

All these criteria about the sponsor's (ie. Singaporean spouse) qualification and income are poppycock. How is not allowing the foreign spouse to work in Singapore supposed to be beneficial to the kids, family and Singapore, other than by making the whole family go away? :rant:

It is a perfect example of elitist penny pinching scroogeism on the part of our policy makers.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lenny08 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:14 am

My cousin, O level education, married a foreign wife.After five years, with two kids, his wife is a singapore citizen.His wife is only pri education.

Lenny08
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby straffan23 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:36 am

I suspect they have different quota and treatment for different nationality. To my personal view (and what I seem to be hearing), Vietnam and Phillipines doesn't seem to be one of those that is easy to get PR/Citizenship - A friend of mine married a Vietnamese - they have 2 children and the eldest will be 5 this year. Still on LTVP.

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Joule » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:36 am

friend of mine married a china wife.

she has been working here for 2 years, MBA holder, speaks decent enough English, softspoken, can pass as a Singaporean

Still no PR, on E-pass, every year they get very anxious whether her work contract is renewed.

They want to start a family

She once told me it was quite upsetting that the beer auntie in the coffeeshop downstairs has PR (I cannot verify this) and she doesn't.

I mean like, duh? :siao:

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pirate » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:22 pm

Joule wrote:She once told me it was quite upsetting that the beer auntie in the coffeeshop downstairs has PR (I cannot verify this) and she doesn't.

No need to verity. Gov already say that those in hawker stalls and coffeeshops are not FTs but are spouses of Singaporeans and PRs.

Maybe immigration waiting for a baby. :wink:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joule » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:37 pm

pirate wrote:
Joule wrote:She once told me it was quite upsetting that the beer auntie in the coffeeshop downstairs has PR (I cannot verify this) and she doesn't.

No need to verity. Gov already say that those in hawker stalls and coffeeshops are not FTs but are spouses of Singaporeans and PRs.

Maybe immigration waiting for a baby. :wink:

not sure. I think beer auntie is from the heydays 07-09? where PR is very cheap. Could be that scenario

besides, she is a talent! The talent is for pouring beer and easing the stress of middle aged Singaporean uncles who work very hard by making small talk. If you want to calculate by the how many people she has 'helped', it should be quite a number = )

(not notti one hor, chit chat, joke a bit, flatter the uncle a bit, it goes a long way)

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pirate » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Joule wrote:not sure. I think beer auntie is from the heydays 07-09? where PR is very cheap. Could be that scenario

besides, she is a talent! The talent is for pouring beer and easing the stress of middle aged Singaporean uncles who work very hard by making small talk. If you want to calculate by the how many people she has 'helped', it should be quite a number = )

(not notti one hor, chit chat, joke a bit, flatter the uncle a bit, it goes a long way)

Yah. Maybe one baby not enough. Must demonstrate she is a talent by having seven.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joule » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:48 pm

pirate wrote:
Joule wrote:not sure. I think beer auntie is from the heydays 07-09? where PR is very cheap. Could be that scenario

Yah. Maybe one baby not enough. Must demonstrate she is a talent by having seven.

pregnant beer auntie? I see already I :siam:

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time