Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Should foreign spouses with SC kids be granted PR?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Should foreign spouses with SC kids be granted PR?

Yes, as a matter of course.
25%
Yes, unless there are exceptional circumstances such as criminal convictions.
53%
No, unless they or their spouse demonstrate that the family won't need financial support.
13%
Heck, no! We don't want more PRs!
9%

Total votes : 32

Re: Should foreign spouses with SC kids be granted PR?

Postby Nihauma » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:22 am

Harlequin wrote:
Nihauma wrote:limlim u hv summarised my situation and my fear accurately. u may be right about me being influenced by all these rumours etc...maybe i should stop surfing ksp so much..haha...most likely i will take the go back to work path la...kiasu kiasi ma...

thanks all for listening and offering advice...

btw i told hubby my fear today and he said dont worry la...if they chase u out we all pack and go with u ...

Hi, Nihauma.

Your PR status will remain regardless if you are working or SAHM, at least up to your children are 16yo. The only stressful part is if you are a SAHM, not directly contributing to the economy, you may get the renewal at 1yr or 2yr term. If you are gainfully employed, you would get the 5yr renewal.

If you have any son/s, when he is at 16yo, enlisting to NS. You will start to get your 5yr renewal even you remain a SAHM. If he should choose to change his citizenship to yours before he is enlisted, then you will lose your PR.

If your children are daughters, then you should start looking for employment before their turned 16, just in case; if you have yet to successfully gained SC status till then.

Hope this helps.

hi harlequin thnks for the info. where do u get this info from? i didnt know that children gender also play a part.

Nihauma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pirate » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:42 pm

But why should someone who is already a PR before marrying a SC and giving birth be in a worse off position than someone who is not a PR before marrying a SC? That makes no sense.

I suggest shooting off an inquiry to ICA now rather than waiting until the Re-entry Permit is due for renewal. It can't hurt to ask, so why wait till the last minute? You may save yourself a whole load of anxiety. For all you know, it may be as simple as just filling in your spouse's NRIC no. at the eREP portal when you apply to renew your Re-entry Permit. You may even already be tagged as 'spouse of SC' the last time you applied to renew your Re-Entry Permit. Since your first child is already in pri school, you must have re-newed your Re-Entry Permit at least once after marriage.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nihauma » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:54 pm

pirate wrote:But why should someone who is already a PR before marrying a SC and giving birth be in a worse off position than someone who is not a PR before marrying a SC? That makes no sense.

I suggest shooting off an inquiry to ICA now rather than waiting until the Re-entry Permit is due for renewal. It can't hurt to ask, so why wait till the last minute? You may save yourself a whole load of anxiety. For all you know, it may be as simple as just filling in your spouse's NRIC no. at the eREP portal when you apply to renew your Re-entry Permit. You may even already be tagged as 'spouse of SC' the last time you applied to renew your Re-Entry Permit. Since your first child is already in pri school, you must have re-newed your Re-Entry Permit at least once after marriage.

ok i will ask. will keep u guys updated.

Nihauma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Harlequin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:34 pm

pirate wrote:But why should someone who is already a PR before marrying a SC and giving birth be in a worse off position than someone who is not a PR before marrying a SC? That makes no sense.

Employment PR has to stay employed.

Permanent residency is granted for a certain contribution to the nation, in her case, was her employment. Her marriage to SC does not play a important part here, but her children, her income tax and her CPF.

Those who applying PR through marriage with SC are subject to another different set of criterial, eg. spouse income/CPF. They also have to go through a period of residency with temp visa, long term visa, dependent visa etc; before they are granted PR (like the one wrote to ST Forum)

In Nihauma's case, if she stopped working for 2 years in SG, her PR would not be renewed; but with her children she is being given a 1yr/2yr term PR; so it's not worse off.

Not being renewed does not equate to PR being revoke, it only mean that if you leave SG, you can't re-enter SG. Since PR supposed to be "permanent" thus only the re-enter part that the ICA is exercising it's control. One still can write in to apply for per entry permit if circumstances arrises that required to travel aboard and re-enter to SG.

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:53 pm

It would be interesting to see what sort of red tape, if any, our ICA has. :wink:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nihauma » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Harlequin wrote:

Employment PR has to stay employed.

Permanent residency is granted for a certain contribution to the nation, in her case, was her employment. Her marriage to SC does not play a important part here, but her children, her income tax and her CPF.

Those who applying PR through marriage with SC are subject to another different set of criterial, eg. spouse income/CPF. They also have to go through a period of residency with temp visa, long term visa, dependent visa etc; before they are granted PR (like the one wrote to ST Forum)

In Nihauma's case, if she stopped working for 2 years in SG, her PR would not be renewed; but with her children she is being given a 1yr/2yr term PR; so it's not worse off.

Not being renewed does not equate to PR being revoke, it only mean that if you leave SG, you can't re-enter SG. Since PR supposed to be "permanent" thus only the re-enter part that the ICA is exercising it's control. One still can write in to apply for per entry permit if circumstances arrises that required to travel aboard and re-enter to SG.

what do u mean that PR is permanent? does it mean that aftef the expiry of rep i am still a pr and can stay legally in singapore. as long as i dont leave the country?

Nihauma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby limlim » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Nihauma wrote:
Harlequin wrote:

what do u mean that PR is permanent? does it mean that aftef the expiry of rep i am still a pr and can stay legally in singapore. as long as i dont leave the country?

Seems that she is right. If you read the Entry Permit, it states that the holder may enter and reside in Singapore. There is no expiry date, unless the holder breaks the law or anything to that effect.

However, if you would to leave Singapore, you would need a Re-Entry Permit to return to SG. In other words, need to renew the Re-Entry Permit(PR).

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chenwj » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:27 am

If singles PRC Beer aunties or Peidu mama can get PR but not those with family here, then they really have to revamp the whole immigration system.

Do they verify the applicant's educational background with applicant's home country? Last time there were those fake degree peddlers. I'm not sure whether ICA or MOM was conned by these fake degree, which resulted in granting of SC or PR..

chenwj
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby phtthp » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:54 am

chenwj wrote:If singles PRC Beer aunties or Peidu mama can get PR but not those with family here, then they really have to revamp the whole immigration system.

Do they verify the applicant's educational background with applicant's home country? Last time there were those fake degree peddlers. I'm not sure whether ICA or MOM was conned by these fake degree, which resulted in granting of SC or PR..

frankly, i find it ridiculous that PRC Beer aunties or Peidu mama can ge PR so easily here. Like that - any tom, dick or harry PRC can just fly in to SG, be a beer lady or Peidu mama, and then ... get their PR. Something wrong !

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dora1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:27 am

phtthp wrote:
chenwj wrote:If singles PRC Beer aunties or Peidu mama can get PR but not those with family here, then they really have to revamp the whole immigration system.

frankly, i find it ridiculous that PRC Beer aunties or Peidu mama can ge PR so easily here. Like that - any tom, dick or harry PRC can just fly in to SG, be a beer lady or Peidu mama, and then ... get their PR. Something wrong !

The PRC lady that cleans our office toilet has a PR. And I'm not joking!!! Dun ask me how she got it! That's why a couple of years ago, before the GE2011 and before the gov tighten the immigration criteria, I overhead her telling her fellow PRC cleaners that SG PR is so easy to get, it's very cheap and common, like a piece of toilet paper!! :yikes: I was in the toilet cubicle and I walked out and shot daggers at them :stompfeet:

Dora1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Recess Time

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres