siblings- single sex or co-ed

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

siblings- single sex or co-ed

Postby wimdils » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:31 pm

hi again, have bee at the pc since morning.. looking for pri sch for kids.

some questions:

would someone care to share if they have children of both sexes going to single sex schools? how do u manage? eg, applying for the school, transport? PTMs? or do u send them both to a co ed school? my kids are a year apart. there are three schools which i have narrowed it down to

IJ tp (less than 1km)
ACS Pri (less than 2km)
Pei Chun Public Sch (less than 2 km)

another question, is it very challenging for non Chinese students to immerse themselves in the Pei Chun culture? anyone knows??

wimdils
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kaydenbrown » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:14 pm

with regards to non chinese students in a chinese school, the common feedback I get is that they tend to stand out in terms literally. This could be both good or bad. The good thing is that they tend to be more recognised by the peers and school if they are outstanding in some ways.

kaydenbrown
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sleepy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:05 pm

I send both to co-ed school. Chose the nearest school for convenience.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby edanson » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:39 pm

I sent both to co-ed school too. Reason being that it will be easier to manage and aslo you will not need to offer volunteer services twice to get them into your prefered school.

edanson
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kiasimom » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:18 pm

edanson wrote:I sent both to co-ed school too. Reason being that it will be easier to manage and aslo you will not need to offer volunteer services twice to get them into your prefered school.

I sent my two children to co-ed primary school as it will be easier for me to manage the meet the parents session.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:28 pm

i dont face this problem.
but just want to add that you have to consider the character traits of your child. is he/she able to survive better in single-ed or co-ed school? will they do better (emotionally) if they are schooled together or separately? that brings me to the questions on
- is what is best for the parent (logistics), best for the kid?
- is what is best for academic, best for logistics (school distance; different schools)?
- is what is best for the elder, best for the younger? and vice versa (if considering same school)

there is no correct or wrong answer; it just lies in your priorities and personally, i feel that at times, it is perfectly ok to put parent's needs ahead of kids. you just have to make the choice, and live with it and don't second guess your decision (ie having all those 'what ifs' thoughts). jmho.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby edunloaded » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:14 pm

jedamum wrote:i dont face this problem.
but just want to add that you have to consider the character traits of your child. is he/she able to survive better in single-ed or co-ed school? will they do better (emotionally) if they are schooled together or separately? that brings me to the questions on
- is what is best for the parent (logistics), best for the kid?
- is what is best for academic, best for logistics (school distance; different schools)?
- is what is best for the elder, best for the younger? and vice versa (if considering same school)

there is no correct or wrong answer; it just lies in your priorities and personally, i feel that at times, it is perfectly ok to put parent's needs ahead of kids. you just have to make the choice, and live with it and don't second guess your decision (ie having all those 'what ifs' thoughts). jmho.

I think u bring up some great points!

I think that it is better to have parents who are not mentally tired due to shuttling the kids around.

Besides - the western system does not seem to favour a particular system, so I don't feel that there is any conclusive research on whether a single sex or a co-ed school is better.

edunloaded
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby wimdils » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:29 pm

hi, all thanks for the valuable advice and feedback.

undoubtedly, a parent would only wich the best for their children. And that's why I stress myself silly on choosing the best (or what i can afford for them!) while making sure they grow up to be children with character.

I also want to do away with the hassle of logistics(ferrying them & PTMs) but i don't see much of a choice in terms of a co-ed pri sch near my area. nearest and best pri sch in tp being (pei chun). n again my concern stands:"how much will my kids stand out, being non- chinese??" I called up the school recently and asked the same questions. the receptionist, (I assume) was frank in her reply. "Ya, non chinese are very few and sure stand out."

So i don't think i want that kind of stress upon myself worrying if my two will fit in.

sad la, but i guess i gotta give up my pei chun dream.
No choice, but i'll settle for ij(tp, as 2 min walk from place) and the nearest boys' sch for my son..

wimdils
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:14 pm

wimdils wrote:sad la, but i guess i gotta give up my pei chun dream.
No choice, but i'll settle for ij(tp, as 2 min walk from place) and the nearest boys' sch for my son..

if you stay TPY, nearest boys sch should be St Andrews ba.
but, your profile state CCK?? :?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hmsg » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:00 pm

mine will be in co-ed sch...

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time