Birthday present - how much do you give?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How much is your present?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Less than $5
6%
$5.10 to $10
12%
$10.10 to $20
29%
$20.10 to $30
35%
$30.10 to $40
12%
$40.10 to $50
6%

Total votes : 17

Birthday present - how much do you give?

Postby acforfamily » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:18 pm

If your kid's classmate is having a party for his birthday, what is the value of the birthday present that you will give?

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby westmom » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 pm

Depends on how close is the friend and where is the party or what kind of activities will be carried out. It's anything from S$5 to $20 for me.

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby acforfamily » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:42 am

Sometimes we don't even know what activities as these are not close friends but kid's classmates. I sometimes get my kid to find out what his classmate likes, else the present will be wasted if the birthday child does not like it.

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:06 am

My answer is not fixed as it depends on my child's relationship with the birthday child and how she views him/her. Therefore, I will only "step in" if the choice of present is impractical or too expensive.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby westmom » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:06 pm

acforfamily wrote:Sometimes we don't even know what activities as these are not close friends but kid's classmates. I sometimes get my kid to find out what his classmate likes, else the present will be wasted if the birthday child does not like it.

I usually will take it a point to find out about the activities. If the kid does not know, I will call the RSVP tel no in the invitation or even ask for the home tel no to speak to the mom. This was when my kid was younger. This is more to screen through whether the activities are "safe" (like got swimming?) for the kid and whether I will allow her to join in (looking at security aspect too). From there, I can more or less gauge whether the party is an extensive one or not.

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Birthday gift for classmates

Postby mocharita » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:40 pm

My child receives plenty of invitations to attend classmates’ birthday parties’ years after years, and I'm always lost of how much to spend on gifts.

It's alright to give cash vouchers inserted in the birthday card? I know giving a gift is usually represent as from the heart, but I don't really know what these kids like or dislike. I feel is safer to give vouchers instead.., like those from CKTang, Taka…I hope it’s not impolite though.

How much do you spend on your kid’s classmate birthday gift?

mocharita
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby schweppes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:18 pm

My budget is usually about $15 - $20 for the birthday child. I think it's ok to give gift vouchers too, although I would get book vouchers from Popular or Borders. At least the kids can buy the books they want with those vouchers. Hopefully it's story books and not assessment books. haha :lol:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby westmom » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:32 pm

Similar topic can be found here:

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... php?t=5264

If it's close classmates, i normally make effort to shop for something instead of vouchers cos dd will tell me what her friends like....

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mocharita » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:10 pm

schweppes wrote:My budget is usually about $15 - $20 for the birthday child. I think it's ok to give gift vouchers too, although I would get book vouchers from Popular or Borders. At least the kids can buy the books they want with those vouchers. Hopefully it's story books and not assessment books. haha :lol:

Haha! :D Yup, hopefully the kids will spend the vouchers on books, only if they are readers. I gave CKTang and Taka because they can use the vouchers on toys or clothes/shoes.

My budget used to be $15-$20 too, but now it’s getting higher. Sometimes, I feel party like this is getting more and more like the Chinese wedding. All about venues and the cost they spend on the occasion. :idea:

mocharita
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mocharita » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:12 pm

westmom wrote:Similar topic can be found here:

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... php?t=5264

If it's close classmates, i normally make effort to shop for something instead of vouchers cos dd will tell me what her friends like....

I didn’t know there is a similar topic. Please merge. :wink:

I used to shop for my kid’s classmate too. Not anymore.

They will grow up and the ‘good friends’ that they claimed, are unknown to me. During kindy to lower primary, it was very easy to mingle around with the mothers around. After that, it was tough to guess who are really good friends, because they tend to hide things from you. :x

mocharita
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time