What does 'less pen and paper assessment' at PSLE mean???

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

What does 'less pen and paper assessment' at PSLE mean???

Postby janet88 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:18 pm

I read with interest regarding this issue. How is it possible to use less pen and paper? Oral doesn't use pen and paper...but is it possible to test students orally for other components?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: What does 'less pen and paper assessment' at PSLE mean??

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:27 pm

What is it about? :yikes: Where did you read it? Not affecting this year's PSLE, right?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:07 pm

ngl2010 wrote:What is it about? :yikes: Where did you read it? Not affecting this year's PSLE, right?

I don't think it will take effect so soon.
I worry more about the 2016 PSLE (daughter's turn) bcos the 2015 batch before her will be using new format.

Read this article in CNA...something about 'Ask Minister'. Yesterday.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:58 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:I read with interest regarding this issue. How is it possible to use less pen and paper? Oral doesn't use pen and paper...but is it possible to test students orally for other components?

Maybe use typing answers and email?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Oppsgal wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:I read with interest regarding this issue. How is it possible to use less pen and paper? Oral doesn't use pen and paper...but is it possible to test students orally for other components?

Maybe use typing answers and email?

Using a new approach and moving away from less pen/paper is new...but are our teachers equipped and trained to prepare our kids for PSLE ??? That is a big question mark. Still find it hard to comprehend why introduce all these stuff to 11/12 year old kids :sweat:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joule » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:42 pm

off hand / my impression

they will test the kid things that the parent will find it hard to make the kid prepare for.

no pen/ paper? no problem. Make videeeooo presentation / editing

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Pen88n » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:59 pm

Take multiple choice questions online - no need for paper n pen and easier marking by computer!

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:10 pm

This is taken from CNA

Minister open to less pen-and-paper assessments at PSLE
Posted: 19 March 2013 1939 hrs

SINGAPORE: Education Minister Heng Swee Keat says he is open to moving away from pen-and-paper assessments at the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE).

But he cautions that even holistic methods of assessment have drawbacks.

He said: "For instance, if we use a broader range of assessment, it means the child is subject to even more modes of assessment. This by itself can also be another source of stress.

"And I think if we have to do this across the entire system - and you're looking at something like 40,000 students - how do we ensure standards are maintained right across these different modes?"

Mr Heng was responding to a suggestion on the debut episode of "Ask Minister", a Channel NewsAsia show which airs at 8pm Tuesday.

The show, a Talking Point special on Budget 2013, gets ministers into the studio to discuss the Budget with Singaporeans via web chat.

Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew takes the hot seat next week.

- CNA/ir

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:25 pm

Hmmmm, I think less paper and pen assessment would be like show and tell for lower primary which the kids are doing. Maybe other examples could be setting up experiments to test hypothesis for science, performance task for maths. If really less paper and pen for PSLE then prepare to expect more days allocated for exams.

Parents are rather stressed by oral exams now right? So how would less paper and pen help wor?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Han Seo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:49 pm

Moving away from pen and paper assessment (aka exam) means other forms of assessment e.g. portfolio, project work. If the whole culture of being obsessive about grades does not change, changing the mode of assessment isn't going to be of much help, really. Parents and teachers will work around the system. For example, in project work, the teachers (and parents) may hand hold the students all the way, editing and re-editing their work until it is almost perfect, if they are under pressure to produce results.

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time