Any SAHM with child in childcare?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Any SAHM with child in childcare?

Postby flim » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi,

Is there any stay-at-home mum here who sends her kid to a half-day or full-day childcare?

I'm a stay-at-home mum and I've been thinking, for quite some time now, of sending my daughter to a child care, in the hope of giving her more opportunity to interact with other kids and gain social skills. She's currently attending 2.5hr kindergarten daily, which I'm afraid is not enough.

On the other hand, I'd feel rather guilty about sending her to a childcare, since I'm a sahm and being a sahm, I'm supposed to be the one interacting with her, am I not? so by right she doesn't need to go to a childcare.

I'm soooo confused!!

flim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Any SAHM with child in childcare?

Postby IJJ » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:28 am

flim wrote:Hi,

Is there any stay-at-home mum here who sends her kid to a half-day or full-day childcare?

I'm a stay-at-home mum and I've been thinking, for quite some time now, of sending my daughter to a child care, in the hope of giving her more opportunity to interact with other kids and gain social skills. She's currently attending 2.5hr kindergarten daily, which I'm afraid is not enough.

On the other hand, I'd feel rather guilty about sending her to a childcare, since I'm a sahm and being a sahm, I'm supposed to be the one interacting with her, am I not? so by right she doesn't need to go to a childcare.

I'm soooo confused!!

I am a sahm with 2 kids, and #3 on the way. Yes, I placed my kid in cc. My #2 is currently placed under full daycare, reasons being 1) #1 needs me as her fulltime tutor, and I enjoy my time alone with her every morning. 2) I get to do housechores when #1 goes to school while #2 still not home yet. 3) I keep my sanity to have some 'me-time' so that I have time to rest and 'space' to think.

I pick #2 about 2 hours before #1 returns, so that I can bond with her(one-to-one) and feed her dinner.

I do not feel guilty, not at all. Being a good mother, I must be emotionally healthy too, aka sane. :wink:

IJJ
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby skunk » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:03 pm

if it's just for gaining social skills alone, and no other reason, i think it's better for her to play with other kids at the playground in the evenings, or enrol her in specific classes, like art class, music, ballet, martial arts or something. These type more bang for the buck heh heh

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:07 pm

I won't recommend a CC if you are looking more for your child to learn/interact. Unless you are willing to pay for a premium CC (maybe put half day will do), there really isn't much more your child will gain compared with a regular kindy.

Try drama classes, dance classes, etc.

What I do is to arrange my son's classes at a location where I have somewhere to go do my own stuff :)
Like his Saturday enrichment at Tampines, I'll book a facial/massage while he has his lessons :p Or I'll go to Mac & bring my laptop along to do some work/surf the net or just sit there & read a book :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:10 pm

Why do you feel there's insufficient interaction?

I'm a SAHM too. Sent my #1 to full day childcare when I just delivered my #2. Withdrawn #1 from childcare when I feel confident enough to handle both kids at home. Childcare center was a temporary arrangement for me at that time as I had no other helper.

If purely for interaction purpose, you can send your gal to speech & drama or enrichment classes of similar sort, outside kindy hours

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby foreverj » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 pm

I'm soooo confused!!

hihi, no need to feel guilty. sometimes we mummies are too hard and harsh on ourselves! we are unique human beings, not robots. so, whatever works for u, do it! just becos another SAHM can take care of child on her own plus settle all housework plus cook dinner etc does not mean u have to follow suit.

i think in a way, half-day cc 9suggest half-day since SAHM enjoy same subsidy as FTWM) provides more service than kindy becos able to settle breakfast and lunch (if opt for half-day) and lasts longer. can be as long as six hours depending on what time u drop the kid off. anyway, u likely only need to drop her off at eight plus to nine. then u got some "me time" to eat breakfast, go marketing, do housework b4 picking her up at 1230 to 1pm. this way u are more well-rested, your child may learn to be more independent and becos u had some time away from each other, u wil enjoy and appreciate each other more when u see each other. remember, being more well rested makes you happier and hence likely makes u better company when she's home :love:

anyway, it stil depends on whether there is a good cc near your place. otherwise stick to the kindy n go for classes...

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:34 pm

flim wrote:

Psst, SAHM also need 'day off'!!!! If can't arrange 'day off' then get 'time off'!

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby foreverj » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:54 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:Psst, SAHM also need 'day off'!!!! If can't arrange 'day off' then get 'time off'!

hehe, agreed! SAHM,even if sick, wil not have MC if the kids are sick too
:( so y not take a break when u can afford it! :D

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Recess Time