Savings lost in JB lucky-draw con

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Savings lost in JB lucky-draw con

Postby tankee » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 pm

By Adrian Lim
My Paper
Monday, Mar 25, 2013

SINGAPORE - A Toyota Camry and a trip for two to Australia were just some of the prizes that she was told she could win by taking part in a "lucky draw" in Johor Baru (JB).

Instead, the 24-year-old Singaporean private student, who wanted to be known only as Ms Poh, lost her entire UOB bank savings of $1,000 in an elaborate scam.

The incident, which happened during a visit across the Causeway on Feb 26, has made her wary of going back, Ms Poh told My Paper last Thursday.

According to statistics provided by the Singapore Police Force last week, there were 89 reported cases of the "scratch and win" lucky-draw scam in JB last year, with Singaporean victims cheated of a total of at least $420,000.

The number of such scam cases has increased 10 times since 2010, when eight cases were reported, with victims losing about $12,000 in all. In 2011, there were 38 reported cases, with victims being cheated of about $112,000 in total.

A source close to the Malaysian police said that lucky-draw scams have been prevalent for a decade. He added that the authorities have stepped up awareness campaigns - through signs, pamphlets and radio programmes - to warn the public.

The source said: "I believe that most Singaporeans are smart, but, in these cases, most of the victims are Singaporeans."

Ms Poh was near the Johor Baru City Square mall when she was handed a lucky-draw card. It entitled her to take part in a draw promising prizes worth a total of RM1.5 million (S$601,000).

She was persuaded by the alleged scammers to take a taxi with them to their company office in Taman Sentosa nearby. There, she was shown a stack of purported newspaper clippings, depicting past winners with their prizes.

She was then asked to produce RM6,300 in cash, to pay off the taxes on the prizes she could win. Ms Poh was accompanied to an automated teller machine, where she withdrew S$1,000 - all she had in her bank account. She handed the cash to the scammers, who told her they needed to make a note of the bills' serial numbers.

"I was asked to sign two or three documents, including one which offered RM24,000 compensation if I didn't win anything," she said.

In the end, Ms Poh was told that she won a jade mattress, which they offered to sell off for her for RM26,000 over the next few days. An alleged buyer was also introduced to her over the phone. Ms Poh was then sent on her way - with a multi-cooker they handed her as part of her "prize".

"I was distracted by the sale of the mattress. It was only after leaving that I realised my money was still with them," she said.

Ms Poh later made a report with the Malaysian police but has received no news.

In a resigned voice, she said: "I seldom go overseas and I was really too naive."

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNe ... 026/2.html

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Savings lost in JB lucky-draw con

Postby tankee » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:03 pm

similar JB lucky draw con was shown in one of the crimewatch episode

tankee
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:04 pm

tankee wrote:similar JB lucky draw con was shown in one of the crimewatch episode

Yes, I remembered watching that particular episode. These con men are truly unscrupulous. But they are tapping on the single thing that drives many humans - greed and blind faith in luck.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:14 pm

Malaysian police said that lucky-draw scams have been prevalent for a decade.

..... and yet the bad guys are still not caught?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:06 am

tankee wrote:Malaysian police said that lucky-draw scams have been prevalent for a decade.

The mouth is willing, but the spirit is weak :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Mawar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:05 am

The professional conmen and conwomen prey on many levels of the human psyche. They study and choose their targets. Some resort to black magic involved. Some victims don't even believe they could fall for such silly scams.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AC_Power » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:44 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
tankee wrote:Malaysian police said that lucky-draw scams have been prevalent for a decade.

The mouth is willing, but the spirit is weak :)

Maybe the Police Chief is receive coffee money from the mastermind.

AC_Power
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby JJ1111 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:52 am

That is because of the "GREED" in mind. The conman put trap on people greediness. People who are blind by the greed, will fall into the trap.

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:12 am

I am quite amazed at how gullible these people can be. Shouldn't alarm bells be ringing the moment they say you have to pay even before you receive anything?

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Fri May 24, 2013 7:38 pm

10 fall prey to 'JB Lucky Draw' scam since April

SINGAPORE: Some 10 Singaporeans have fallen victim to the 'Johor Bahru Lucky Draw' scam since April 2013.

This is more than the total number of people scammed in the first three months of this year.

Most victims fall prey at the bridge linking Woodlands Customs and JB's City Square.

Scammers would approach the victims, telling them that they have won a lucky draw prize.

They would then ask the victims to withdraw money from their bank account to pay for taxes or administrative fees in collect the prize.

Some would offer victims a ride back to their country, where the victim can make the withdrawal.

'Madam Lee', a victim who lost S$12,000, said: "I told him that I had only a few thousand dollars in my savings account. I told him that I couldn't get any cash advance with my credit card.

"They said that they would only take a look at it, scan the card number, and then return the card to me. But they lied. I was told there wouldn't be any interest charged, that when I withdrew the money, they'd put it back immediately."

The police remind the public to be vigilant of "get-rich-quick" offers and lucky draws that come with payment.

Victims are advised to make a report at the nearest police station in the country where the scam took place.

- CNA/jc

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 86156.html

tankee
Site Admin

Next

Return to Recess Time