6%
Whut? Only 3 years?!?!
94%
By the way, who is this guy anyway?
No votes

Total votes : 16

Ex-Romanian diplomat Ionescu sentenced to 3 years' jail

Postby tankee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:01 pm

BUCHAREST: Former Romanian diplomat Silviu Ionescu has been found guilty in a hit-and-run accident in Singapore and sentenced to three years' jail by a Romanian court.

In its verdict, Ionescu was cleared of the charge of making false statements, but was found guilty on three other counts - manslaughter, causing injury and fleeing the scene.

He received a term of three years for manslaughter, eight months for causing injury and another three years for fleeing the scene. The sentences are to run concurrently.

His jail term will also take into account the six months he had spent in preventive custody.

Ionescu will also have to pay 38,000 Romanian lei (or about S$13,700) as judicial expenses.

Several of his civil rights will also be suspended for the duration of his sentence.

Ionescu was not present in court when the verdict was delivered. His lawyer told AFP he will appeal.

The court denied the request by a witness to be reimbursed wages for the time spent giving testimony via video link.

The victims' families will also receive no compensation, as they have not filed any requests in this respect.

Ionescu, who was Romania's charge d'affaires in Singapore, was found guilty of hitting three pedestrians in December 2009 while driving a car belonging to the Romanian mission.

One of the pedestrians, a 30-year-old Malaysian, died.

Ionescu, who fled Singapore shortly after the accident, has claimed the Romanian mission's car was stolen. He has been on trial since October 2010.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 54/1/.html

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Ex-Romanian diplomat Ionescu sentenced to 3 years' jail

Postby Jennifer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:36 pm

The incident happened in Sg. Why the sentence is passed by a Romanian court?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Ex-Romanian diplomat Ionescu sentenced to 3 years' jail

Postby isetan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:40 pm

Becos he escape out of the country fast enough for our policemen to catch him.

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Was Justice Served?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:24 am

Asiaone: Singapore welcomes verdict on Ionescu case: MFA

SINGAPORE - Singapore welcomes the Bucharest court verdict on the hit-and-run case involving former Romanian diplomat Silviu Ionescu, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) said on Wednesday.

The court had sentenced Ionescu to 3 years in prison for hitting 3 pedestrians while driving in Singapore in 2009.

MFA said in its statement released on Wednesday night:

"Singapore welcomes the verdict delivered by the Bucharest Sector 3 Court, which sentenced former Romanian charge d'affaires in Singapore Dr Silviu Ionescu to three years in jail after a trial lasting two years and eight months.

"Dr Ionescu was found guilty of the charges of manslaughter, negligent bodily injury and leaving the scene of an accident."

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNe ... 11850.html

There have been many cases of real life dubious cases of failure of justice systems around the world - and imho, this ranks amongst one of the most curious. The purpose of judicial systems is to uphold the law. While the law could be interpreted in many different ways, essentially, the process should mostly be one of establishing the degree that accused might have infringed upon the law, and to mete the appropriate punishment befitting the crime.

In this case, the accused has not only run away from the accident scene, but sought to obfuscate the matter by lying and setting up all kinds of conspiracy theories. And he is not a tiny bit sorry for causing the death of one person and seriously injuring another two, at least not from the public interviews he continues to give.

I find it strange that the Romanian court would find the accused guilty, and yet issue a sentence that is less than half the maximum (7 years) that is allowed for the crime.

I hope Ionescu is happy with his sentence of 3 years in jail, and can sleep well at night.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: Was Justice Served?

Postby buds » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 am

NO! :mad:

I dunno abt him.

I cudn sleep thinking of those victims.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby isetan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:42 am

If sentence is passed in Singapore, I doubt it will be 3 years.

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:45 am

Of cos not.

Had it been in sg, he can look forward to years and years of free food and lodging.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:46 am

I just have this feeling that whatever sentence he received was just a 'wayang' for diplomatic reasons.

For all we know, they may be a lengthy appeal process and eventually everyone forgets if he really went into prison.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:56 am

buds wrote:NO! :mad:

I dunno abt him.

I cudn sleep thinking of those victims.

I can't sleep thinking about how sorry Ionescu is for running away and continuing to try to wriggle his way out of trouble.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby raysusan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:57 am

isetan wrote:If sentence is passed in Singapore, I doubt it will be 3 years.

3 weeks? :lol:

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time