WHY IS THE SCHOOL DEMANDING STUDENTS TO BUY MAC BOOK?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

WHY IS THE SCHOOL DEMANDING STUDENTS TO BUY MAC BOOK?

Postby raysusan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:00 am

An ex colleague of mine messaged me today asking about when will be the next IT Show. I am surprised as just about 2 weeks ago, there was an IT show and I was there. I told her she just missed one. She was sad and said she needs to buy a Mac Book as soon as possible.

I am surprised why she needs a Mac Book since I know she does not know how to use one. She gave me a shock when she said her daughter needs it in school as her school only use Mac Book for teaching and every students were told by the teacher that they must have a Mac Book so that they can continue their study.

Further probing found out that the school actually tied up with Apple in Singapore and that the school will only use Apple Computer in the school. That really makes me wonder about student with family that is not well off, as the simplest Mac Book would cost around S$1400 and above. So how is the family going to be able to afford a Mac Book for a secondary school student?

Question to MOE – does the school have the authority to demand and force students to get such expensive equipment for study? Why choose Mac Book over generic Window laptop which is much cheaper and practical? What if the student really can not afford to buy a Mac Book, what will happen to them? Will these students be discriminated? Will they be laughed at or even bullied by their peers in school?

These questions need to be answered as soon as possible because I believe there are many malpractice in schools these day as schools are trying to move up the ranking ladder even though it has been abolished but it’s still an unspoken practice among schools. There is much to be done with our education system and practices in schools.

is this the new learning era? :sweat:

Article taken from online citizens
Last edited by raysusan on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: WHY IS THE SCHOOL DEMANDING STUDENTS TO BUY MAC BOOK?

Postby concern2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:36 pm

Heard about this from a relative a few years back. Relative looking for 'lobang' from DH as he is an Apple fan. Think some schools require students to buy Mac Book. They do bulk purchase, but students are free to purchase on their own if they prefer. Not too sure about those who cannot afford, though, whether there is assistance scheme.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joule » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:25 pm

can use edusave or not ah?

no point force student to buy but parent no $$

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Imami » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:38 am

My niece and nephew were told to buy a laptop each some time back. The school got a good deal for the students but it is still a good $700+ per laptop. My bro said those families who couldn't afford could apply for further subsidy from the school. There is also instalment schemes in place. In short, the school ask u to buy but they will try their best to help u.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:52 am

Imami wrote:My niece and nephew were told to buy a laptop each some time back. The school got a good deal for the students but it is still a good $700+ per laptop. My bro said those families who couldn't afford could apply for further subsidy from the school. There is also instalment schemes in place. In short, the school ask u to buy but they will try their best to help u.

Our son is still in primary school so we have not experienced this. If we are faced with the problem, the issue is not about whether we can afford it or not (we can afford it) but the issue is about given a choice what kind of laptop we want to have. I don't like it when I am forced to buy something that I don't like. We have both Mac and Windows based laptops at home so I have used both of them. I don't understand why some people consider Mac is better than Windows based laptop. Why is the school forcing the students to buy Mac? If my son is forced like that, I will definitely complain to MOE.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamgear » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:00 am

ngl2010 wrote:
Imami wrote:My niece and nephew were told to buy a laptop each some time back. The school got a good deal for the students but it is still a good $700+ per laptop. My bro said those families who couldn't afford could apply for further subsidy from the school. There is also instalment schemes in place. In short, the school ask u to buy but they will try their best to help u.

Our son is still in primary school so we have not experienced this. If we are faced with the problem, the issue is not about whether we can afford it or not (we can afford it) but the issue is about given a choice what kind of laptop we want to have. I don't like it when I am forced to buy something that I don't like. We have both Mac and Windows based laptops at home so I have used both of them. I don't understand why some people consider Mac is better than Windows based laptop. Why is the school forcing the students to buy Mac? If my son is forced like that, I will definitely complain to MOE.

The school materials are built around that platform. If you have such strong feeling regards as to which platform are used, then dont go to that school lor...

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:36 am

So while the ave-joe gets a laptop at a subsidized price, poorer ones will get additional financial assistance. That's great to hear.

Thanks to TS for starting this thread, so now I know schs do help. :lol:

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:46 am

Dreamgear wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:

The school materials are built around that platform. If you have such strong feeling regards as to which platform are used, then dont go to that school lor...

What happens if in every cohort we've 2 strong-headed parents, one believing that Mac is better, the other windows is better. How is the sch going to appease both of them? Sometimes we have to understand the difficulties faced by the other party as well.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:59 pm

Dreamgear wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:

It is not about I have a strong feeling about one platform or another. As I mentioned earlier, I have both. It is about waste. Why are we wasting money to buy another laptop when we already have one (albeit different platform) at home? The money used can actually be saved to our savings for old age when we need medical costs. $1400 can buy a few months of medicine if we have chronic illnesses. Why can't the materials be built around common platform? What programs that Mac has that Windows doesn't have such that the school is forcing everybody to own a Mac? :?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:59 pm

The more important question is what kind of message is the school sending to the kids?

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time