WHY IS THE SCHOOL DEMANDING STUDENTS TO BUY MAC BOOK?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:85

Re: WHY IS THE SCHOOL DEMANDING STUDENTS TO BUY MAC BOOK?

Post by BeContented » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:16 pm

FQW wrote:
Imami wrote:
FQW wrote:What happens if in every cohort we've 2 strong-headed parents, one believing that Mac is better, the other windows is better. How is the sch going to appease both of them? Sometimes we have to understand the difficulties faced by the other party as well.

fqw, can u elaborate on the above? I don't quite get your point. :?

What I was trying to say is that it's difficult for sch to propose a solution that fits everyone's (parents') preference.

Agree with FQW.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:151

Post by Sun_2010 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Wonder why is the topic heading in capital letters?
Wonder Why is the word "demanding" used in the heading?
Er... Any such "demand" letter from school ? Wondering because I never got any "demands" from school so far.....

Oops is this OT :oops:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:131

Post by janet88 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:15 pm

did the school really demanding students to buy mac book ? it's unreasonable if this is the case...can't be expecting all the parents to be able to afford it (even if they can)...that cost $1588 few months back...saw in the ad about apple reducing prices.

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by raysusan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:Wonder why is the topic heading in capital letters?
Er... Any such "demand" letter from school ? Wondering because I never got any "demands" from school so far.....

Copy and paste :evil:

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:37

Post by Imami » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Dreamgear wrote:
Imami wrote:
Dreamgear wrote:The school materials are built around that platform. If you have such strong feeling regards as to which platform are used, then dont go to that school lor...

I am perfectly fine with A secondary school asking me to get a laptop for my son if he is in secondary school (because I am quite sure he is not going to get one of his own at that age). And I am not fazed by it anymore, especially after hearing how a primary school is asking their primary one cohort to get an iPad. All primary one student, one each.

While not all schools are like this, how would a parent know which school won't be like this for as long as the kid is enrolled in there? Boh bao eh mah...

Primary school need ipad? Can share which school?

For sec schools, usually they will start from new intake.... Like sji start with their year one this year.....

There are also schools which stopped the program after trial runs, like chs..

Better not name it la. But I can share that this is a relatively new neighbourhood pri sch in the west.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Imami » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:59 pm

FQW wrote:
Imami wrote:
FQW wrote:What happens if in every cohort we've 2 strong-headed parents, one believing that Mac is better, the other windows is better. How is the sch going to appease both of them? Sometimes we have to understand the difficulties faced by the other party as well.

fqw, can u elaborate on the above? I don't quite get your point. :?

What I was trying to say is that it's difficult for sch to propose a solution that fits everyone's (parents') preference.

Oh ok, then I didn't interpret wrongly. Of cos cannot please everyone la. Already to buy or not to buy so many camps.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Imami » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Sun, I honestly believe that no sch under moe would demand parents to buy. Perhaps except textbooks. :wink: besides, how one interprets the content of letter determine if it is a demand.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Imami » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:05 pm

osim wrote:There is a reason why the school use MacBooks. It is not about it being glam. You must understand that Windows OS runs on so many brands of hardwares. It is very tough for an IT dept to help maintain the school intranet with so many students laptop of so many brands. Also there is a lot of bloat in the Windows OS, also many virus and security problems. The Mac is more user friendly and stable and that's the price you pay for.

As for cost, there are ways to get aid via the school to purchase the laptop.

I am not from the school authority. I use both Windows and Mac OS. I just want say something fair and objective for the school.

Thanks osim! I think osim has raised a very good points.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:151

Post by Sun_2010 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:29 pm

Imami wrote:

Sun, I honestly believe that no sch under moe would demand parents to buy. Perhaps except textbooks. :wink: besides, how one interprets the content of letter determine if it is a demand.

My point is the two shows it to be more of a rant than issue.
Just that it could have been done without making such a biased question.
Anyways it's good to discuss the reasons. It dispels doubts and myths . :smile:

AC_Power
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:12

Post by AC_Power » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:05 am

Like someone mentioned earlier, the learning platform should always be web-based, so that you do not tie down the make and model of laptops student can use or the OS the student can use.

The school can then allow the students to get the laptop their parents can afford, stating min requirement like, having a wireless connectivity and the web browser to be installed.

For students who are from lower income family, the school maybe can sponsor them refurbished sets or offer installment plans.

By only recommending a certain brand or make of laptop for students to buy, does not sound right, regardless how you are to argue the merits.