WHY IS THE SCHOOL DEMANDING STUDENTS TO BUY MAC BOOK?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:13

Re: WHY IS THE SCHOOL DEMANDING STUDENTS TO BUY MAC BOOK?

Post by Dreamgear » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:28 am

AC_Power wrote:Like someone mentioned earlier, the learning platform should always be web-based, so that you do not tie down the make and model of laptops student can use or the OS the student can use.

The school can then allow the students to get the laptop their parents can afford, stating min requirement like, having a wireless connectivity and the web browser to be installed.

For students who are from lower income family, the school maybe can sponsor them refurbished sets or offer installment plans.

By only recommending a certain brand or make of laptop for students to buy, does not sound right, regardless how you are to argue the merits.

Web-based is good for e-learning, but will not be able to replicate or replace the integrated classroom platform.

I dont think school deploying e-learning will dictate the make of the machines....for example CHS does not dictate that ownership is a must....but judging by the amount of work being done online, ownership is certainly a benefit....

that leads to another question, if the school does not dictate that ownership is a must, can the poorer student still qualify for subsidies, like that available at the schools which are implementing the Bring Your Own Device integrated classroom?

One more thing is that we should try and understand the rationale behind the decision on the platform and appointment of vendor / supplier by the school. We are look at this from a basic point of view, like how we go online for KSP.com.... it goes beyond that for a smart classroom set-up, and the appointed vendors / supplier provide set-up services, and drop off repair support at the school, for example....and i dont think the school also dictate that it a must to buy from the appointed supplier, as long as the spec is similar...

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by pirate » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Dreamgear wrote:
AC_Power wrote:Like someone mentioned earlier, the learning platform should always be web-based, so that you do not tie down the make and model of laptops student can use or the OS the student can use.

The school can then allow the students to get the laptop their parents can afford, stating min requirement like, having a wireless connectivity and the web browser to be installed.

Web-based is good for e-learning, but will not be able to replicate or replace the integrated classroom platform.

Not able to or don't know how to? I find it hard to reconcile the fact that MMORGs like Petpet Park can be web based with the argument that a web based classroom platform cannot be done.

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:13

Post by Dreamgear » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:40 pm

Why dont you find out and let us know? i'm also interested to know....

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:76

Post by ngl2010 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:00 pm

For students who are from lower income family, the school maybe can sponsor them refurbished sets or offer installment plans.

By only recommending a certain brand or make of laptop for students to buy, does not sound right, regardless how you are to argue the merits.

Completely agree.
:goodpost:

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:108

Post by limlim » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:16 pm

agree with this.

let's ask KSP site admin.. is it VERY TOUGH to maintain KSP for members using Windows, Mac, iPad or Android to access?

is it VERY tough to support all the different Hardware accessing KSP forum?

if KSP (I assume with limited resources..?) can do it, a school cannot?

from the way I view it, either the IT dept CMI or $ motive is suspicious..

If they "force" students to use a certain web browser like Safari, IE, maybe still acceptable.. but to force to use a certain hardware is ridiculous.

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by raysusan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:37 pm

Agree with limlim and ac power too
really make me wonder about second motive .

And must be imac but no other kind of laptop. How ironic
Btw thr article was taken from the online citizens

chenwj
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by chenwj » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:34 am

Niece's school requires ipad. Her school gave lots of help to ensure you can get it with subsidy and installment plan. The article can be better by listing down all the assistance or subsidy schemes the school have in place to help the students. Otherwise looks a little like MOE / MIW / PAP / government bashing (if you consider it comes from online citizen). LOL

imwithchild
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by imwithchild » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:52 am

while the schools are trying to make these devices "affordable" for everyone... i cannot help but to feel that it is rather passive-aggressive. granted, we as parents will get the devices for them. but what abt kids from lesser off families? their parents will be so stressed and will most probably tick their child off even tho it is not the child's fault

chenwj wrote:Niece's school requires ipad. Her school gave lots of help to ensure you can get it with subsidy and installment plan. The article can be better by listing down all the assistance or subsidy schemes the school have in place to help the students. Otherwise looks a little like MOE / MIW / PAP / government bashing (if you consider it comes from online citizen). LOL

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:82

Post by MMM » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Nebbermind wrote:I've heard of a pri school...think p3 niah...need to buy netbook for some schoolwork.

Makes me wonder. There are alot of web based assignments these days for primary schools.

I wonder how those lower income family are able to cope. Eg. Parents who might be computer iliterate and does not have broadband or computer at all. They potentially have to buy a computer or subscribe to internet due to that???? :?

I suppose buying a mac is more for on site support? Maybe Apple provides that to the school without the school having to pay for/ maintain additional IT headcount just for this purpose???? I really don't know. But the sec schools that my P6 and P5 are targetting for happen to fall into schools that require a Macbook.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:101

Post by jtoh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:49 pm

MMM wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:I've heard of a pri school...think p3 niah...need to buy netbook for some schoolwork.

Makes me wonder. There are alot of web based assignments these days for primary schools.

I wonder how those lower income family are able to cope. Eg. Parents who might be computer iliterate and does not have broadband or computer at all. They potentially have to buy a computer or subscribe to internet due to that???? :?

I suppose buying a mac is more for on site support? Maybe Apple provides that to the school without the school having to pay for/ maintain additional IT headcount just for this purpose???? I really don't know. But the sec schools that my P6 and P5 are targetting for happen to fall into schools that require a Macbook.

i believe students who do not have a PC/internet connection at home are allowed to go to school and use the PCs there. Although numbers are limited.