Moonbear Rescue project!

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Moonbear Rescue project!

Postby smurf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:48 am

recently, I came across this when my niece is making cookies to help fund these pitiful bears.

For years, china people extracted biles from moonbears to manufacture into traditional chinese medicine, however, it is known that such medicine can be easily replaceable by cheaper herbs or synthetics.

These farmers (bear bile farm), put the bears into cages smaller than the bears and each cage is smaller than the bear, and then, they put a tube-like thing into the bear stomach (or belly button, can't remember) to extract out the bile.

can you imagine the torture of people extracting bile from these bears but also the mental part of caging??!!

the bear has to stay inside the cage until there is no more bile to collect, after which, the bear will be THROWN AWAY TOGETHER with the cage.

you read this at this webpage:

http://www.animalsasia.org/index.php?UID=97PHBYFBNQP7

My niece (she is 14 year old) is trying to organize a fund raising campaign to help save these bears, and she is making these bear cookies at $5 per packet. Any idea where can she sells these cookies or any one want to buy from her?hee. :wink:

This is a packet (sample) of the bear cookies she made:

This is a picture (extracted from animalsasia.com) of a caged bear.

This is a bear after she is rescued from those merciless bear bile farmers.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi Smurf, I guess you like smurfs :D

Actually I was thinking to pair your niece up with my girl's team in the coming competition they have. In this competition, they would need to set up a booth to sell whatever things. But if its food items, it not so easy ... So this idea is out. I heard there was a case, the food sold at the booth caused food poisioning and it happend that the food were made by the kids themselves. The team was disqualified and later discovered, its not allowed to make the food items themselves to sell. It has to come from proper food merchandise that have licenses.

Maybe you can suggest your niece to do something else. Home made food items, might be a little difficult for fund raising. Its just my idea, maybe I am wrong :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:28 pm

HI daisyt,

thanks for the contribution. :D

for food wise, I think it depends on what you make. if like those must eat on the same day of preparing such as bee hoon, etc, then it's not advisable for teenagers to make. but if like cookies, biscuits kind, I think it's still ok. My niece has supervision, so I think hers is still ok. :D

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi smurf, you are welcome ! Did she try selling in her school ? I think its easier that way :D

p/s : my girl is anti-shark fins, she never eats shark fins. :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:44 pm

Hi daisyt,

didn't know u replied.hehe.:)

not sure leh, I thnk she did ask around, likes friends and relatives.:)

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time