Update of child's photo on passport

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Update of child's photo on passport

Postby MMM » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:45 am

Hi,

Anyone can shed light on how to update child's photo on Spore passport?

Can we do it online or do we have to go down personally to submit and then another day for collection,etc....

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby cmm » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:06 am

I believe this is no longer necessary with the use of bio-metric passports. ICA has also stopped this practice for the non bio-metric passports that are still in use.

I remember bringing my kids to ICA 1yr+ ago to update their photos for 1 last time just before they stopped this practice.

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:33 am

:? My 4 yr old is using the biometrics passport but her photo is probably taken when she was 1-2?? There are still some resemblance but we thought it might be advisable to update in case she has problem at the immigration.

What is so special about this biometrics that don't need to update photos??? Sorry I am just very puzzled. Wondering if it's some technology that has other forms of checks.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schellen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm

MMM wrote::? My 4 yr old is using the biometrics passport but her photo is probably taken when she was 1-2?? There are still some resemblance but we thought it might be advisable to update in case she has problem at the immigration.

What is so special about this biometrics that don't need to update photos??? Sorry I am just very puzzled. Wondering if it's some technology that has other forms of checks.

Have you ever been scanned at customs before? I have. They scanned my eyes and fingertips. That's using biometrics. So I guess what cmm is saying is that regardless of no resemblance to photo in passport, your child's "body" still matches their record (when your child made the biometric passport).

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby thebusybee » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:07 pm

MMM wrote::? My 4 yr old is using the biometrics passport but her photo is probably taken when she was 1-2?? There are still some resemblance but we thought it might be advisable to update in case she has problem at the immigration.

When i made my son's pp @ 2wk old, the officer @ ICA reminded us we can't update picture on the same passport since it's only Bio-metric they are issuing now. We have to make a NEW pp @$80 walk-in or $70 submit online (fast n easy, u collect within a week), if you need to update photo!

The point is : S'pore custom won't hold u up/refuse entry if the pic doesn't resemble your child. The foreign country's custom has the right to refuse entry if the officer think the person in the pic not the same. Better be safe than sorry. My son's coming 2YO, I also have to make a new one if we're traveling.....

For online submission, resize pic to 400x514px, not more than 60kb file size.

p.s. Bio-metric passport's only valid for 5 years!

thebusybee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:42 pm

Wow.. this is really getting technical. My 4 yr old has been to Msia. I am trying to recall if she has been scanned before.... Probably not as we usually drive in.

We are gg to Australia in Dec and wondering if we need to update her 2 yr old picture. It doesn't really make sense that in order to update the photo, we've to reapply her "relatively new passport". Young children grow up very fast and ICA should consider that. Otherwise it might appear that they are trying to earn more $70 re-submission :? The worst thing is having to queue up and waste the time waiting to collect the passport :x

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:44 pm

The greatest frustration is that I've been trying to call their 24 hour line (manned by human during office hours) to understand the situation better.... It's engaged all the time!!! What kind of service level is that???? :x

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi, Just saw somewhere on ICA that yes... need to apply for a new passport if we want to update personal particulars and photos, etc.... What lousy technology.... Haha stilll feeling frustrated about the inefficiency and the inconvenience.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hquek » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Yup, with bio-metric pp, validity is only 5 years and you cannot update child's photo.

Applying/re-applying is really easy - you can log onto their website and my experience is that it'll be ready in about 3-5 working days. Do remember to book an appointment (and don't show up too early) to cut down your waiting time. Apparently going too early invalidates your appointment.

Also, I usually take my own pictures - it should be in the lowest resolution possible on your camera. too high a resolution, you won't be able to load. Keep in mind their requirements (white background, etc) else you could be wasting more than time.

So far, I've only had my fingerprint scanned - never eyes. But I don't think most other countries have such scanning technology.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schellen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:09 pm

Is re-applying the same procedure as renewal? Cos I renewed my passport online and received a letter in the mail to tell me when to pick up my new passport. When I got to ICA, I didn't even have to wait. (Do note that I happened to go on a weekday, not a Monday or Friday, and not during so-called peak hours, if the timing matters.)

hquek, me and my DD were scanned at the Narita airport in Tokyo, Japan.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time