How many of your kids DID NOT have a 1 week break?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Gems
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How many of your kids DID NOT have a 1 week break?

Post by Gems » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:28 pm

My child also did not have a 1 week break. Out of that 1 week March hols, 6 days in school for around 4-5 hours. On top of it still have homework, project work, on-line learning, etc.

Education in Singapore is crazy. No life! Parents have time for kids but kids have no time for us. Even a joyous occasion like Chinese New Year cannot be enjoyed. My kids have no tuition already so busy with school life. Everyday need to stay back for CCAs, extra lessons, projects, etc. Reached home 6-7pm. I pity my kids.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:8

Post by bebebub » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Dd had to go back for 2 days of training. Homework inudes 2 full maths paper, 1 compo, 1 science research, 1 PowerPoint presentation n a couple of Chinese worksheets. Her piano theory n practical exams also fall on the holiday week. So the piano T gave her additional 2 sessions of coaching.

Though very busy, we manage to squeeze in a movie, 1 afternoon tea date n a few quick dips in the pool. No revision was done. Dd commented that it didn't feel like there was any holiday

Big fish
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Big fish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:35 pm

I think CCA took up too much time, mine dd end at 6 45pm, reach home 7 40pm, late dinner than me,can't stand it. I think all CCA should be once a week and ends around 5 to 5 30pm. Then they can have proper dinner and have a balance life, sometime I really pity these kids. But I guess nothing will change right, no one listens.....

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:25

Post by jedamum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:46 pm

Big fish wrote:I think it happens to most sec sch than pri students. Most of her classmates still need to go back 2 to 5 times for CCA.

i remembered i last time sch holidays also need to go back frequently for CCA...and i enjoyed it very much! stay at home also nothing to do. :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:318

Post by ChiefKiasu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:50 pm

jedamum wrote:i remembered i last time sch holidays also need to go back frequently for CCA...and i enjoyed it very much! stay at home also nothing to do. :)

Stay home got things to do... plenty of assessments from Popular :evil:

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:85

Post by Augmum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:55 pm

Big fish wrote:My sec 3 dd spent all the time rushing her work. She spent 2 full days in sch for forum (end at 6 pm). She has 100 chem questions to complete plus at least 2 assignments from each subject , plus project work, plus a competition research, ALL squeeze into a week. Worst than a normal sch week.I think it happens to most sec sch than pri students. Most of her classmates still need to go back 2 to 5 times for CCA.

So she would rather NOT have a holiday...

Pls don't give them so much work for a short holiday , let them rest!

Precisely.....this is what i have posted in DHS thread.....

I understand some of them went back to sch for their CCA practices, practically everyday of the 1 wk holidays.

Augmum wrote:As what often heard/seen fr the students......
"The workload given for the 1 week March school holidays is even worse then the normal school days"

already few projects and assignments on hands and likely plenty of Maths worksheets to follow (as usual).....
still need to allocate 1 day for conducting on-site survey (HCL project)....
with completed typed-out and self reflections.

Isit really giving them a break as the initial definition of School holidays ?? :shrug:

Hence, Primary school pupils.....do enjoy while u still can....
when u go to sec sch, likely,u wont be looking forward to the 1 wk March holidays..... :wink: :evil:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:86

Post by buds » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:00 pm

jedamum wrote:
Big fish wrote:I think it happens to most sec sch than pri students. Most of her classmates still need to go back 2 to 5 times for CCA.

i remembered i last time sch holidays also need to go back frequently for CCA...and i enjoyed it very much! stay at home also nothing to do. :)

Like Jedamum, I thoroughly enjoyed my extra days of CCA. :love:

Psst Jedamum, your CCA... was it book club? :duck:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:86

Post by buds » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:01 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
jedamum wrote:i remembered i last time sch holidays also need to go back frequently for CCA...and i enjoyed it very much! stay at home also nothing to do. :)

Stay home got things to do... plenty of assessments from Popular :evil:

:rotflmao:

Chief, plus top school papers. :siam:

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:85

Post by Augmum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:01 pm

TheAnswer wrote:May I ask which school is this? 100 chemistry questions is scary.

Fo gal's sch, it is 100 Maths questions......
Every yr is the same....but "fortunately" it is during the Dec Holidays.....

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:25

Post by jedamum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:32 pm

buds wrote:Psst Jedamum, your CCA... was it book club? :duck:

:scared: didnt have book club back then leh...
was in the BAND!!! 3x a week!! Saturdays training was from 8.30/9am (can't remember) to 5pm. would borrow instrument (and music stand) home and went on and on on Sundays. but still...CCA points only B4 nia because not leadership post. :shrug: