Teachers made students sign agreement

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Teachers made students sign agreement

Postby Kind_Soul » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:56 am

Dear Parents, I just wish to know your opinion...

Recently I realised the teachers in my daughter's secondary school made the students sign agreement. The agreement is basically behavioural commitment- to be good student, to respect the teachers, to attend all trainings...etc. It has no penalty. In addition, students were being asked to keep a secret of what happened in the 'room'.

When I questioned the teacher, I was replied that this is "commonly used by educators" to "enforce" and with no legal bindings.

I have this concern...

1. They are minor, and they are made to sign agreement out of obligations without parents knowing. The fact that there is no penalty, so what is the purpose? This is not a school rule either..

2. The side effect of such practice. Would the child have the mentality that to sign an agreement has no implications and start signing off agreeements?

3. To keep a scecret of what happened in the 'room'. Definitely not a parent's
wish to be kept uninformed of what happened in school and wonder what other things had happened behind closed doors?

4. Is there no better method to earn respect than to sign an enforcement agreement? :nunchuk:

Anyone experience this in other schools? Do let me hear your views... am I overly worried? :shrug:

Kind_Soul
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Teachers made students sign agreement

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 am

Should not be an issue as long as the intent is communicated properly and not done on tHe sly.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:31 am

I am OK with all of it except the part about keeping things 'secret'. I wonder why that was put in? The rest of it seems to be a way to focus the students' minds on what they are supposed to be doing and their responsibilities as students, and I see it as a reasonable way to get them engaged in their education. I don't see that there is an issue of 'enforcement' in any real sense other than moral, so I'm not sure if parental consent is legally required. If minors sign other contracts without parental consent, they will not enforceable anyway.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:48 am

Kind_Soul, I understand your concern.

Just a different thought -

Sec school is where the children ( most) are beginning to take charge of their learnings. Teenage - an age of contradictions - when one wants to be treated like a responsible individual, yet can be immature. They want to take charge while worrying inside if they can handle it. Dont know but wont ask. Sigh ! not an easy phase.

Giving them ownership is a great way to tell them I trust you. This agreement gives them the chance to take charge , with no strings attached - they have the assurance that if they slip , its ok, next time try not to. The "secret" could be a way to show this trust in them. To add that element of excitement. To show , hey we are one team.

Is there a better way? may be there are , but this is one darn good way I think.

One the other hand we hear of some bad apple teachers who took advantage of students. They may be very few such cases , all the same it is a cause for concern. We should educate our children - what is not ok behaviour, to confide in us no matter what , even if they have a small element of discomfort in any adult they interact with.

As our little ones toddles and fell and got up , and slowly learned to walk, then run and jump - we have to do so no too. Its a lot harder - there is the big bad world out there, we do what we can and trust our kids to reach for us when they need our support.

Let's not sanitise everything to the point that lot of good gets lost with the bad.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Yeah, my DS1 teacher did it too. But parents were in the loop. I think it's pretty good.....

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:41 pm

When school, student and parent had to sign an agreement on another matter recently, I went through it with DD clause by clause and taught her the necessary amendments to be made so that the scope of protection for the school is narrowed and her interest more protected.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sundaymorning » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:27 pm

Actually i think its fine , to establish the clause for students to have the right behaviour in school. In fact perhaps it could be a conducive learning as the students will be more well behaved if they adhere to the terms . :)

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby chenwj » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:22 am

It is a good idea. That teach the students the importance of respecting a signed agreement and that a contract was formed. Of course, the kids can argue that the contract is not valid because it was signed under duress. LOL

chenwj
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby iFirefly » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:14 am

OK lah...

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:42 am

Kind_Soul wrote:

3. To keep a scecret of what happened in the 'room'. Definitely not a parent's
wish to be kept uninformed of what happened in school and wonder what other things had happened behind closed doors?

I am not ok with this unless the parents is in the loop.

There should be no "secrets" between teachers and students that the parents should not be aware of.

I am disgusted by the prospects of this becoming some "habits" of teachers and then male teachers and female students (or vice versa) start to have all kinds of "secret pacts".... (just saying)

Or the teachers may do something unprofessional and ask the students to keep it a secret..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time