Freakonomics -- Parents: Being, or Doing?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve

Freakonomics -- Parents: Being, or Doing?

Postby 3Boys » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:43 pm

I must be way behind the curve on this, but finally got round to reading this book (Freakonomics) on a long flight. In it, author Steve Levitt had a largish section on parenting, and the links between life outcomes and parents/parenting. In a nutshell, it appears that who you are as parents matters much more than what you do as parents.

I.e. is it all an exercise in futility, your kids will be what they be, regardless of what you do? Other studies (such as 'minimal parenting standard' concept) appear to bear this out.

To me, if true, its a big relief, actually..........

Postby skunk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:34 pm

There could be some truth in it....or at least based on my own experiences.

I was the eldest child, my parents put in alot of effort into me, sending me for special classes (very exp in the old days LOL) and generally doing alot on me/for me.

Progressively down the line, another 3 kids later, as they age and have less energy and time, they did less and less with each progressive brother I had. (4 of us in all).

Today, with all of us as adults, on the career front, I would say that I'm the least performing, and it gets progressively better with each brother, the youngest being a scholar and the 2nd youngest a double-degree honours accountant.

Of course, there's also a possibility of someone else experiencing something totally opposite from me. My point is that it could well be true, as much as it could be untrue!

Return to Recess Time