SEAB Test - 2013

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

SEAB Test - 2013

Postby buds » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:56 pm

My daughter mentioned they had to do a test from MOE today.

According to her, it was an 80min test. Two old teachers (1 female and 1 male) came into her class and the female madam said , "Come on everyone. Stand up. Greet me." :skeptical: The test took up a couple of periods. Teacher(s) in charge of those periods were not present during the test.

The test was on Math topics. It had patterning questions and fraction questions.

Booklet A had 30 questions. (30 mins). She did it very fast to ensure she had time to check. According to her, she set her watch timer with spare 10 minutes to check. She eventually had 12 minutes in the end. Paper A consisted of MCQs. Answers were to be shaded on OAS.

At the end of the paper, students were reminded to write their birth cert numbers and school name.

She thought that the patterning questions was a tad challenging. The way she explained it was so funny.. got boxes.. got shapes.. got shadings.. like see until no eye see liddat. :rotflmao:

Paper B had 14 questions. (50 mins). Once again, she timed herself to try and finish the paper in 30 minutes but this time the paper consisted of open ended questions and word problems.

Her observation:
It was like a very secretive mission. Her own words hor. Not mine. :evil:

Their (class) teachers were not supposed to know what subject was tested. The lady said no point copying either because everyone had different papers. The papers were labelled with either a "H" or a "J".

She mentioned something about this test was to see whether students can do intelligently... like how competent the students were in the level... about how children had different learning abilities and how students arrive at these solutions. As students from top class they expected to see 85 and above. She was a lil scared the results from the paper was gonna be added into their report books. :scared:

Math test or IQ test?

Anyone else's children mentioned this test?

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: SEAB Test - 2013

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:58 pm

buds wrote:... Anyone else's children mentioned this test?

Your daughter? The one in P4 or P6?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:02 am

If in p4, my boy took a moe test last year too. The school issued a circular to notify us that results are for moe reference only, not included in school report book.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

SEAB Test - 2013

Postby octoberbaby » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:03 am

whole cohort taking or selected students?

octoberbaby
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:05 am

jedamum wrote:If in p4, my boy took a moe test last year too. The school issued a circular to notify us that results are for moe reference only, not included in school report book.

Maybe it is one of those data-gathering surveys from which the smart researchy people came to the conclusion that poor children did not really fare poorly compared to kids from more well-to-do backgrounds, as reported in the papers today.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby buds » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:14 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
buds wrote:... Anyone else's children mentioned this test?

Your daughter? The one in P4 or P6?

P4.

But.......

She mentioned she had to take a T-break ie. toilet break :laugh:...

The school grounds were cemetery-quiet...

"You could hear someone's shoes screeching on the classroom floor, mom. That was how quiet it was." :rotflmao:

In the loo another student from another level (P6 i think) who said her class was also in the middle of a test.

Funny thing is though... my P6 didn't mention anything. :shrug: Image

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:17 am

No circular jedababe.

She remembered seeing there was an ...AB test initital or something at the back of the paper some sort. Then when i asked, "AB?" She replied with, "Got something MOE also.."

Then i said, orhhh... "I know. SEAB issit?"

"You so clever, mom... how did you know?"

"From the huge MOE clue." :evil:

:rotflmao:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:55 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
jedamum wrote:If in p4, my boy took a moe test last year too. The school issued a circular to notify us that results are for moe reference only, not included in school report book.

Maybe it is one of those data-gathering surveys from which the smart researchy people came to the conclusion that poor children did not really fare poorly compared to kids from more well-to-do backgrounds, as reported in the papers today.

I wonder about that surveys. Looks like the sample size is very small (100). Needs statistician to tell us whether the results is valid or not. And I think the period is short (3-4 years old children were tracked for 3 years). I think they should check the children around 18 years old. I am sure there are differences between children from poorer backgrounds and from more well-to-do backgrounds.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:46 am

My Sec1 DS also mentioned about a surprise Maths test (by MOE) ~a month ago. Only told of it on the day itself & the students were asked to stay behind for ~1.5 hours after school.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time