Hundreds of pigs, dogs die in Chinese city

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Hundreds of pigs, dogs die in Chinese city

Postby tankee » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:04 pm

BEIJING - Chinese health officials and police were on Wednesday probing the mysterious deaths of hundreds of pigs and dogs whose carcasses were discovered in a central Chinese city, authorities said.

A total of 410 pigs and 122 dogs died on Monday in a village within the city of Yanshi, according to a statement on the city's website. The deaths came after the discovery of more than 16,000 dead pigs last month in Shanghai's main river sparked public health concerns.

The statement said that livestock experts have eliminated an animal epidemic or the H7N9 strain of bird flu as the cause of the deaths of the pigs and dogs.

But all chemical plants in the area near to where the dead animals were found have been ordered to suspend operations, their power supplies have been cut off and managers are not allowed to leave as part of a police probe, the statement said.

The state-run Xinhua news agency reported that some village residents blamed the deaths on gas emissions from a local chemical plant, saying there had been an "extremely strong odour" on Monday morning.

The city of Yanshi, located in central China's Henan province, has a population of 558,800 people, according to Chinese government figures.

The deaths of the pigs found in Shanghai's Huangpu river, which supplies almost a quarter of the commercial city's drinking water, highlighted public health fears in China.

Authorities announced about two weeks ago that they had found the H7N9 strain of avian influenza in people for the first time. It has so far killed 16 people and infected 78, mostly in eastern China.

No vaccine to protect against the virus currently exists.

Health authorities in China say they do not know exactly how the virus is spreading, but it is believed to be crossing to humans from birds, triggering mass poultry culls in several cities.

- AFP/ir

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asi ... 41748.html

tankee
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17790
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 18


Re: Hundreds of pigs, dogs die in Chinese city

Postby tankee » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:05 pm

last month 16000 dead pigs floated down river, now this :roll:

tankee
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17790
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 18


Re: Hundreds of pigs, dogs die in Chinese city

Postby Harlequin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:46 pm

:yikes: :nailbite:

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5249
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:16 am
Total Likes: 43


Re: Hundreds of pigs, dogs die in Chinese city

Postby ammonite » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:49 am

Gam siah Tai Gong Tai Ma for biting the bullet, braving the treacherous seas and sailing to Singapore in a filthy rat-infested boat years ago. Because you took that step, I can now drink water and breath without fear of being poisoned. Must take my children to Bright Hill's Temple to offer joss sticks to their ancestors.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 am
Total Likes: 64


Re: Hundreds of pigs, dogs die in Chinese city

Postby vinegar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:50 am

China will be building more dams.Countries nearby worry they would deplete or contaminate the water.However,china doesn't bother discuss wf these countries n carry on their plan.

While indonesia will continue their fire burning every oct, australia will continue to build plant in Msia, North Korea continue to threaten South korea/japan/US n makes their own people suffer in hunger,terriost...fight btw religious..muslim & buddhist in Myammar...etc.....

As for sg,more bribery n sex for trade cases in public & private sectors...more inconsiderate drivers...etc...

Longer drought expected in NZ & USA,etc....Hottest summer in australia....etc,etc,

Sigh...the world is changing...to the worse.

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:28 am
Total Likes: 2



Re: Hundreds of pigs, dogs die in Chinese city

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:00 pm

vinegar wrote:China will be building more dams.Countries nearby worry they would deplete or contaminate the water.However,china doesn't bother discuss wf these countries n carry on their plan.

While indonesia will continue their fire burning every oct, australia will continue to build plant in Msia, North Korea continue to threaten South korea/japan/US n makes their own people suffer in hunger,terriost...fight btw religious..muslim & buddhist in Myammar...etc.....

As for sg,more bribery n sex for trade cases in public & private sectors...more inconsiderate drivers...etc...

Longer drought expected in NZ & USA,etc....Hottest summer in australia....etc,etc,

Sigh...the world is changing...to the worse.


Everything you say is true... if you choose to see things in the worst possible light. Our memories are defined by decades, while the world has been around for milleniums. Maybe the less stressful view of life is that things are bad, but could be worse, and it is up to us to decide on how we can make life more bearable for ourselves.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Re: Hundreds of pigs, dogs die in Chinese city

Postby pinky » Thu May 02, 2013 8:19 am

hope that the dead pigs and dogs don't end up in those hei xin factories and eventually to restaurants and roadside stalls there... :sick:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Hundreds of pigs, dogs die in Chinese city

Postby Mawar » Thu May 02, 2013 8:23 am

pinky wrote:hope that the dead pigs and dogs don't end up in those hei xin factories and eventually to restaurants and roadside stalls there... :sick:


Gulp! And they may process and freeze the meat for a year or two, until the wind blows over, before serving the delicacies.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:50 pm
Total Likes: 11


Re: Hundreds of pigs, dogs die in Chinese city

Postby pinky » Thu May 02, 2013 8:39 am

Mawar wrote:
pinky wrote:hope that the dead pigs and dogs don't end up in those hei xin factories and eventually to restaurants and roadside stalls there... :sick:


Gulp! And they may process and freeze the meat for a year or two, until the wind blows over, before serving the delicacies.


base on their track record, hmmmm....
read from newspapers how the factories masked the rotting smell with strong seasonings, chemical, dark sauce etc and re-sell to eateries. not sure if they are talking about this case but this practice has been done for long long time already.. :sick: :nailbite: :scared:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Hundreds of pigs, dogs die in Chinese city

Postby sundaymorning » Fri May 03, 2013 10:41 am

pinky wrote:
Mawar wrote:
pinky wrote:hope that the dead pigs and dogs don't end up in those hei xin factories and eventually to restaurants and roadside stalls there... :sick:


Gulp! And they may process and freeze the meat for a year or two, until the wind blows over, before serving the delicacies.


base on their track record, hmmmm....
read from newspapers how the factories masked the rotting smell with strong seasonings, chemical, dark sauce etc and re-sell to eateries. not sure if they are talking about this case but this practice has been done for long long time already.. :sick: :nailbite: :scared:


Oh my this is bad like a chain effect, thank god our ava here very strict.!

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Recess Time