Need advice: Short Term Stay in Florida - Should we??

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Need advice: Short Term Stay in Florida - Should we??

Postby butterwaffles » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 am

Dear fellow parents

My spouse will be on a 5 month course in Florida. I'm trying to decide if i should join him, together with the kiddos. My boy is currently 3 and my girl is 1. I'm a FTWM. I'm not sure how i'm going to cope there. It would be my first time having to be with the kids 24/7 for 5 months :scared: My boy would have to stop Berries. I would have to be a SAHM. Some friends encouraged me to join my spouse as it would be a good experience for the kids. Some asked what i'm gona do with them there :shrug: Should i follow? Or should i just bring them along for a holiday there for 2 weeks while my spouse is having his term break? :smile:

butterwaffles
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Need advice: Short Term Stay in Florida - Should we??

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:51 am

The kids are only 3 and 1. I don't think they will remember their experience there...

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby butterwaffles » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 am

Oh, i thought my boy will remember...and get to spend winter there. My girl will definitely be clueless. So no point joining my spouse? I'm personally quite keen to go but if its of no point for the kids, then i wont...will stay put in sg :cry:

butterwaffles
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Nihauma » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:19 pm

go go go! 5 months actually quite short. by the time u r familiar with the life there u need to come home. u will find lots of things to do...the novelty and all...but your job how? need to quit? or take unpaid leave.

even if your kids cant remember they will have photos to see. go now before they need ti go primary school and u cant go anywhere freely.

Nihauma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby butterwaffles » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Oh, i don't have to quit...i can take unpaid leave cos as you've said, 5 months is not very long. Im keen to go as i've never been to US. I can cope alone in sg but not sure i can cope alone there. Things like where to see doctor if the kids are ill. What to do with them at home...Good thing is, we get to be together and will return to sg right before CNY.

butterwaffles
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby coolbaby » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:38 pm

if I were you, I would go.
It's an experience and shouldn't miss this opportunity, especially since your kids are not in Pri school yet.
Florida is nice... you have go to Disney World and many more theme parks!

coolbaby
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Go. Your kids may not remember much, but you will have lots of good memories as a family. As you say you haven't had experienceas a SAHM, try it (get tips first) - it's worth it! I have been a SAHM all my kids' lives (older girl is 16yo) and we have travelled and lived in many countries since they were born. It can be tough but the family bonding and common memories makes it worthwhile.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby keroppi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Do you drive? It's easier to get around if you do.

As for doc's visit, its not the same as Singapore. You need to make an appointment beforehand and you probably need to get health insurance for the entire family (and just make co-payment on every visit).

Florida is good, at least the weather is tropical so don't have to worry about autumn/winter wear.

Yes, your kids will be too young to remember but if you take lots of photos, they could show them the kodak moments when they are older.

Just go lah. Take a break from work.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Go because of yourself. Not because of your kids. They won't remember but you will remember. Since you can keep your job, this is a rare opportunity.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby butterwaffles » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:16 pm

coolbaby wrote:if I were you, I would go.
It's an experience and shouldn't miss this opportunity, especially since your kids are not in Pri school yet.
Florida is nice... you have go to Disney World and many more theme parks!

Florida reminds me of hurricanes. Totally forgot abt the disney part! Wow....Yes both are still very young. Intitally was still thinking about logistics if my spouse is not around. Then his colleagues suggested i just follow. Because 难得 his share is paid for. For me, i've never been so far. You guys are encouraging!

butterwaffles
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time