Need advice: Short Term Stay in Florida - Should we??

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:86

Re: Need advice: Short Term Stay in Florida - Should we??

Post by buds » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:19 pm

I say you go girl! :rahrah:

Given similar opportunities I'd surely go!
I have 4 but yes yes yes, die die will go!

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:332

Post by Funz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Since you don't have to quit and have a job waiting for you, I say go for it. Experience what it is like living in another country. So exciting.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:332

Post by Funz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:54 pm

keroppi wrote:Actually it does get confusing when it's night time and there are no cars on the street. You turn into a lane and then see headlights in your direction. Happened to me quite a number of times when picking up my DD from her violin class or when I head out to get groceries in the evening (in winter, it gets dark very early).

Haha, yah happened to me too. But I love their parking spaces, big and spacious, just zoom head in, makes sense especially when you are doing grocery shopping.

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by straffan23 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:48 pm

:rahrah: :rahrah: Go! Go! Go!

My daughter was one when I followed my husband to UK. We spent about 10 months there while I was on no-pay-leave. I was a FTWM too, and had never spend much time alone with my daughter - I was very simple-minded and didn't think too much. Just thought it would be such a great break from the routine in Singapore. It was a novel experience - in so many ways!

A few examples.... in SG, we are always busy with our own work, too caught up in a pre-set routine. And then we have colleagues, friends, parents and in-laws hovering all around us. UK was a most refreshing break to our marriage, where we mostly focused on us! My daughter is now five, and although she might not have day-to-day memory of UK, that precious stint provided a great opportunity for us to bond and we are very close. I also found a new perspective in motherhood and learned to enjoy and appreciate different things. It was an enriching experience to each one of us in its own ways. Go! Go! Go! :rahrah: :rahrah:

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:208

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Just to add, as I said, going will be a great experience, but do go prepared. I don't mean bringing loads of things from home (and some Singaporeans do!), but be prepared for a different pace of life, different activities, not earning etc. Although I have followed my husband through many moves with kids from newborn to teens and found all the experiences enriching (I won't say all enjoyable), I do know some women who found the switch from FTWM to SAHM coupled with going overseas hard to take. Some even went into depression as they were unprepared for the feeling of dependency (not earning), no maid, no family support, differences in lifestyle, food etc.

butterwaffles
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by butterwaffles » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:44 pm

I wish to thank all for the wonderful advices! My unpaid leave has been approved and i will be dragging my kiddos along to join my spouse at florida. We will be taking korean air & delta airways. I am not a seasoned traveller & this is the first time on the plane for my kids so feeling abit apprehensive. Realised formula milk is not readily available there either ^^ Im hoping i will not go crazy staying home with the kids during the day. Hopefully we'll be able to get a suitable apartment with some kind of facilities. Visas are done as well but have yet to purchase insurance. Anyone here happened to take korean air before?

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by kylene » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:22 am

Hi,

Not sure if I can help but I'm currently in Sydney with my spouse and 2 kids for a year. We've been here about 3 months. I was working part time in Sg. I send my 5 year old to a local Kindy and my 1 year old is home with me.

The weekdays are tough for me but I love the weekends when we explore new places together as a family. I've learnt to cook simple meals . In Sg, I didnt cook much, my mother and mil used to cook for us.

The best part about this is the weather lol. It's cool here , but not too cold. And we escaped the haze!

I think it'll be an enjoyable experience for u overall.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:108

Post by limlim » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:19 am

丈夫丈夫,一丈之内才是夫。。 Go go go.... :evil:

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:220

Post by 3Boys » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:25 am

butterwaffles wrote:I wish to thank all for the wonderful advices! My unpaid leave has been approved and i will be dragging my kiddos along to join my spouse at florida. We will be taking korean air & delta airways. I am not a seasoned traveller & this is the first time on the plane for my kids so feeling abit apprehensive. Realised formula milk is not readily available there either ^^ Im hoping i will not go crazy staying home with the kids during the day. Hopefully we'll be able to get a suitable apartment with some kind of facilities. Visas are done as well but have yet to purchase insurance. Anyone here happened to take korean air before?

Congrats! Keep your wits about you and you'll have a great time.

butterwaffles
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by butterwaffles » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:18 am

kylene wrote:Hi,

Not sure if I can help but I'm currently in Sydney with my spouse and 2 kids for a year. We've been here about 3 months. I was working part time in Sg. I send my 5 year old to a local Kindy and my 1 year old is home with me.

The weekdays are tough for me but I love the weekends when we explore new places together as a family. I've learnt to cook simple meals . In Sg, I didnt cook much, my mother and mil used to cook for us.

The best part about this is the weather lol. It's cool here , but not too cold. And we escaped the haze!

I think it'll be an enjoyable experience for u overall.

My elder boy attends childcare & my girl infantcare. Am working full time now and the thought of having to be at home with both...very daunting. But yes i will stay positive, keep an open mind. Who knows i can tahan staying home :smile: I do cook but one dinner a day is nothing compared to having to prepare 3 meals a day! Tao hin liao.