Ashvin Sivakumar, 12, from ACS (Pri) is Big Spell Champion

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Post Reply
tankee
Site Admin
Posts: 17852
Joined: Tue Jun 30,
Location: Singapore
Total Likes:23

Ashvin Sivakumar, 12, from ACS (Pri) is Big Spell Champion

Post by tankee » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Plucky Ashvin Sivakumar, 12, challenged judges to take the national spelling championship on Saturday.

He beat 30 other competitors after a full 10 rounds, finally leaving 10-year-old Kua Le Yi from Catholic High School (Primary) in second place and 11-year-old Loi Si Xian from Raffles Girls Primary School in third.

From the outset, the Primary 6 pupil from Anglo-Chinese School (Primary) was a standout at the microphone, towering a full-head above others and typically asking for a definition and root word.

Then, in a two-person fight for the winning word, Ashvin matched spirit to stature. When judges ruled that he had misspelt "pescatarian", as "pescetarian", he stood his ground, imploring them twice to make sure they had it right.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... hampion-20

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Posts: 15857
Joined: Mon Sep 03,
Location: Singapore
Total Likes:321

Re: Ashvin Sivakumar, 12, from ACS (Pri) is Big Spell Champi

Post by ChiefKiasu » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:43 pm

tankee wrote:Plucky Ashvin Sivakumar, 12, challenged judges to take the national spelling championship on Saturday.

He beat 30 other competitors after a full 10 rounds, finally leaving 10-year-old Kua Le Yi from Catholic High School (Primary) in second place and 11-year-old Loi Si Xian from Raffles Girls Primary School in third.

From the outset, the Primary 6 pupil from Anglo-Chinese School (Primary) was a standout at the microphone, towering a full-head above others and typically asking for a definition and root word.

Then, in a two-person fight for the winning word, Ashvin matched spirit to stature. When judges ruled that he had misspelt "pescatarian", as "pescetarian", he stood his ground, imploring them twice to make sure they had it right.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... hampion-20


What on earth is a "pescatarian"?? Nothing short of amazing, these kids.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 11328
Joined: Mon Mar 22,
Total Likes:101

Re: Ashvin Sivakumar, 12, from ACS (Pri) is Big Spell Champi

Post by jtoh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm

guessing it has something to do with fish or seafood?

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4750
Joined: Mon Feb 22,
Total Likes:151

Re: Ashvin Sivakumar, 12, from ACS (Pri) is Big Spell Champi

Post by Sun_2010 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:11 pm

This boy is also very good in chess I think. Saw him get one of the top 3 prizes in the inter school competitions.
What brains , what memory power :rahrah: :rahrah:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 3539
Joined: Mon Sep 07,
Total Likes:2

Re: Ashvin Sivakumar, 12, from ACS (Pri) is Big Spell Champi

Post by auntieM » Wed May 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:This boy is also very good in chess I think. Saw him get one of the top 3 prizes in the inter school competitions.
What brains , what memory power :rahrah: :rahrah:

Pleasant and intelligent boy with nice parents and super smart brother in P4 this year.. .. :smile:


phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 18591
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:179

Re: Ashvin Sivakumar, 12, from ACS (Pri) is Big Spell Champi

Post by phtthp » Wed May 01, 2013 11:47 pm

The p6 champion spelling boy displayed confidence in front of the judges.
He stand out amongst the contestants.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 18591
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:179

Re: Ashvin Sivakumar, 12, from ACS (Pri) is Big Spell Champi

Post by phtthp » Wed May 01, 2013 11:51 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:What on earth is a "pescatarian"?? Nothing short of amazing, these kids.

Yes, that p6 boy is really intelligent. The way he displayed confidence in front of the judges ... Is a cut above the rest.
( First time I come across such a vocab. )

AC_Power
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Mar 08,
Total Likes:12

Re: Ashvin Sivakumar, 12, from ACS (Pri) is Big Spell Champi

Post by AC_Power » Thu May 02, 2013 9:25 am

Well done boy!! You could spell a word which I don't even know of its existence until today.

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Jan 31,
Total Likes:1

Re: Ashvin Sivakumar, 12, from ACS (Pri) is Big Spell Champi

Post by winchester » Thu May 02, 2013 6:16 pm

AC_Power wrote:Well done boy!! You could spell a word which I don't even know of its existence until today.


quite scary these kids the words they know. must have really memorised!

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4890
Joined: Mon Oct 20,
Total Likes:29

Re: Ashvin Sivakumar, 12, from ACS (Pri) is Big Spell Champi

Post by concern2 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 am

Heard he's also learning French. :sweat:

Post Reply