Support MINDS (Movt for Intellectually Disabled)

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Support MINDS (Movt for Intellectually Disabled)

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:51 am

Hi. Today we chanced upon car wash operated by MINDS (Movement for the Intellectually Disabled of Singapore) at the Telok Blangah Road (inside SPC).

The car wash takes longer than usual (so please be patient) but they clean more thoroughly than some other places.

Do support them if you need car wash and you happen to be around that area :rahrah: . It is heartening to see them trained to be independent.

Here is the link to their website:
http://www.minds.org.sg/Wash.html

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Re: Support MINDS (Movt for Intellectually Disabled)

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:04 am

Thanks for the heads up! I wasn't even aware there was such an initiative.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:18 am

There is a supervisor there to ensure that the washing is thorough. Most of them take pride in the work and work hard in doing their part. Sometimes, there will be a couple of more playful ones, that need the supervisor to urge them to do a proper job.

The washing is more thorough than most other manual car wash, thus may take slightly little longer.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Dora1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:52 am

This is great! But it's quite out of the place for me leh.... Hopefully we can have more of these type of social enterprise, or businesses who support hiring of the disabled (mentally or physically).

May the mods can help to create a sticky somewhere and we can consolidate a list of businesses who hire the disadvantaged so that KS Parents here can support.
Let me start the ball rolling.
A few years ago I boycotted Han's as a couple of restaurants that I went to seemed to be staffed by foreigners exclusively.
But last year, I visited one of the outlets at Jurong Safra, and realised that the some of the foreigners there were gone. Instead, they hired a few that were intellectually challenged and they were wiping tables and laying out the sauces. I dunno if it's linked to the tightening of the foreigner worker quota and thus they started to hire these group of people, when they would previously have chosen to hire foreigners instead. I was very happy that these group of people are finally given a chance at fair employment. Sadly the Jurong Safra Han's closed already, as the human traffic there is really quite low.
Any others to share? I know KFC do hire the deaf.

Dora1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby winchester » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 pm

thanks for heads up. will support when in the area.

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:20 pm

When going to Sentosa or Vivo City, please drop by to support the MINDS car wash :)

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time