Road safety and correct driver behavior

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Road safety and correct driver behavior

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Dear Moderators,

Could you please move postings on speedings topic that have been embargoed by Chief to this thread? Thank you.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Road safety and correct driver behavior

Postby concern2 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:10 pm

I sort of understood what Insider was trying to say about passengers not commenting on what drivers do. I've had my fair share of frustrations when DH drives, and I think that kind of frustration arises due to the fact that I am also a driver (we tend to be on the alert too), although her case is that she isn't a driver, but that's not the point.

Anyway, the fact that there are so many accidents on the road these days, I tend to drive slower and especially careful when I am near zebra crossings. You won't know when a cyclist will just cross at the zebra crossing without stopping first and a young boy would suddenly turn around to pick up a toy he dropped.

So when DH drives, I would - or rather, used to yell out - "BE CAREFUL! "BICYCLE!" or "WATCH OUT! THERE'S A MAN IN BLACK!" (at night) - for fear that DH would miss him as his speed to me was still relatively faster than how I would drive. And every time I do that, he would turn around and bark at me,"I KNOW LAH! WHY YOU SCARED ME LIKE THAT!" Of course, I would explain that I thought he did not see. "OF COURSE I SAW LAH!" He would bark back.

I wouldn't give up. But this time, I would control my voice. I had to be calmer than him - "A boy" , "Old lady crossing", "Cyclist approaching" - and sometimes, he would still get annoying - "I know lah" or "I SAAAAW" - make me sound like I really busy-body and very loh soh right? Once or twice I got so hurt I just closed my eyes and :xedfingers: I just had to have faith - that kind of feeling.

Sometimes, it isn't DH. It could be others who are reckless and negligent. Who knows, right? Better to be safe than sorry - transport is just to carry us from one place to another, no need to be too kanchiong or kiasu - is my motto when it comes to driving.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Oh, oh, I have one slogan for LTA/ traffic police consideration -

Be Kiasi on the road - not Kiasu! :laugh:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:33 pm

concern2 wrote:So when DH drives, I would - or rather, used to yell out - "BE CAREFUL! "BICYCLE!" or "WATCH OUT! THERE'S A MAN IN BLACK!" (at night) - for fear that DH would miss him as his speed to me was still relatively faster than how I would drive. And every time I do that, he would turn around and bark at me,"I KNOW LAH! WHY YOU SCARED ME LIKE THAT!" Of course, I would explain that I thought he did not see. "OF COURSE I SAW LAH!" He would bark back.

I am luckier than you in this aspect. Hubby takes my alert calls quite nicely as there are a few times he did not see due to blind spots.

I usu. say 车啊 人啊

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:41 pm

Jennifer wrote:
concern2 wrote:So when DH drives, I would - or rather, used to yell out - "BE CAREFUL! "BICYCLE!" or "WATCH OUT! THERE'S A MAN IN BLACK!" (at night) - for fear that DH would miss him as his speed to me was still relatively faster than how I would drive. And every time I do that, he would turn around and bark at me,"I KNOW LAH! WHY YOU SCARED ME LIKE THAT!" Of course, I would explain that I thought he did not see. "OF COURSE I SAW LAH!" He would bark back.

I am luckier than you in this aspect. Hubby takes my alert calls quite nicely as there are a few times he did not see due to blind spots.

I usu. say 车啊 人啊

:laugh: U lucky girl! Maybe I did give DH too many scares in the past, or he thinks I don't trust his driving :P

Lately DH also 'mellowed' down a little after one incident I warned him to stop and look before he move - and indeed, if he hadn't listened to me, we would have been in trouble cos he had a blind spot while from my angle I could see.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:41 pm

concern2 wrote:I sort of understood what Insider was trying to say about passengers not commenting on what drivers do.

yes.. most of us do..

But using a forum post as an analogy to that is a BAD move, I feel.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:45 pm

limlim wrote:
concern2 wrote:I sort of understood what Insider was trying to say about passengers not commenting on what drivers do.

yes.. most of us do..

But using a forum post as an analogy to that is a BAD move, I feel.

Share with you one funny thing my FIL does when he sits at the passenger seat next to DH - he will step on his invisible brakes when the car in front suddenly stops :laugh: :rotflmao:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Jennifer wrote:

I usu. say 车啊 人啊

:wink: Before I learnt to drive, I was at peace with the world, my trust placed in the mystical prowess of the highly-trained driver who is able to handle such a complex mechanical beast. I can easily fall asleep when I'm sitting at the passenger seat.

Once I know how to drive, that image of the perfect driver was destroyed forever. It dawned on me that the driver (like me) is clouded with much uncertainty, and every tiny flick of the wrist in the wrong direction could be met with wild swerving at best, or disaster in the worst case.

If I'm forced to sit in the passenger seat now, I would be gripping the sides of my seat for dear life, and my legs all ready to bend and rise to put me in a protective crouching position. With my eyes dry from being wide opened, it is difficult not to spot tiny movements which I think the driver has not noticed, and even more difficult not to bring them to the driver's attention. Of course, this would eventually get me banned from the passenger seat and relegated to the backseat, where I would resume my former sanguine existence and go right to sleep to enjoy the privilege of being chauffeured.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby concern2 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:53 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

I usu. say 车啊 人啊

:wink: Before I learnt to drive, I was at peace with the world, my trust placed in the mystical prowess of the highly-trained driver who is able to handle such a complex mechanical beast. I can easily fall asleep when I'm sitting at the passenger seat.

Once I know how to drive, that image of the perfect driver was destroyed forever. It dawned on me that the driver is clouded with much uncertainty, and every tiny flick of the wrist in the wrong direction could be met with wild swerving at best, or disaster in the worst case.

If I'm forced to sit in the passenger seat now, I would be gripping the sides of my seat for dear life, and my legs all ready to bend and rise to put me in a protective crouching position. With my eyes dry from being wide opened, it is difficult not to spot tiny movements which I think the driver has not noticed, and even more difficult not to bring them to the driver's attention. Of course, this would eventually get me banned from the passenger seat and relegated to the backseat, where I would resume my former sanguine existence and go right to sleep to enjoy the privilege of being chauffeured.

:laugh: :rotflmao: Funny the way you put it.

"Co-driver" at the passenger seat in front.. :nailbite: :scared: :laugh: :siam:
Last edited by concern2 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

I usu. say 车啊 人啊

Once I know how to drive, that image of the perfect driver was destroyed forever. It dawned on me that the driver (like me) is clouded with much uncertainty, and every tiny flick of the wrist in the wrong direction could be met with wild swerving at best, or disaster in the worst case.

When I first got my driving licence and drove to Rail Mall, the front seat passenger could not stop nagging :gloomy: I parked the car head in into the parking lot. Since then I did not drive again.

Hubby could not trust anyone.

I also enjoy being chauffeured around, whether it is hubby or the public transport.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time