Air Crash

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Air Crash

Postby tankee » Wed May 01, 2013 11:05 pm

scary

Bagram airfield crash 29 apr 2013
A civilian cargo plane crash at Bagram Air Field north of Kabul in Afghanistan has killed seven people.

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Air Crash

Postby ngl2010 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:10 pm

RIP

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Thu May 02, 2013 6:41 am

Scary! :yikes: See how the plane swayed & fell like paper aeroplane... The weather seemed ok, wonder what happened to cause this. :?

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu May 02, 2013 8:08 am

It looks like a mechanical failure. Pretty scary to watch the thing. It seemed almost slow motion.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby atrecord » Thu May 02, 2013 9:34 am

Looks like engine stopped and there was no more lift... Looks like it was full of fuel too, perhaps not long after take-off...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Thu May 02, 2013 9:40 am

atrecord wrote:Looks like engine stopped and there was no more lift... Looks like it was full of fuel too, perhaps not long after take-off...

Never check properly before take off? So scary, put me off from flying after watching this video. Will shelf my vacation plan for the time being...... :nailbite:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Thu May 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:
atrecord wrote:Looks like engine stopped and there was no more lift... Looks like it was full of fuel too, perhaps not long after take-off...

Never check properly before take off? So scary, put me off from flying after watching this video. Will shelf my vacation plan for the time being...... :nailbite:

Statistcially, there are far more death on the road than in the air.

For that matter, there are probably more mrt service failure than air crash.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri May 03, 2013 6:22 am

tankee wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:

Yes, statistically it is that way but how many vehicles are there at any one time on the road compare to the number of planes in the air?
Besides, plane malfunction is more fatal than MRT service failure, isn't it? Being high up in the air is just not normal for human beings as we don't have wings, so when plane malfunction, we are helpless.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Fri May 03, 2013 5:22 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:
tankee wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:Never check properly before take off? So scary, put me off from flying after watching this video. Will shelf my vacation plan for the time being...... :nailbite:

Yes, statistically it is that way but how many vehicles are there at any one time on the road compare to the number of planes in the air?
Besides, plane malfunction is more fatal than MRT service failure, isn't it? Being high up in the air is just not normal for human beings as we don't have wings, so when plane malfunction, we are helpless.

Tankee is right.

People are more likely to die in a vehicular accident than in an air crash, even after correcting for frequencies of carriage in either modality.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/air-trav ... -1581.html

To quote:

"The National Safety Council compiled an odds-of-dying table for 2008, which further illustrates the relative risks of flying and driving safety. It calculated the odds of dying in a motor vehicle accident to be 1 in 98 for a lifetime. For air and space transport (including air taxis and private flights), the odds were 1 in 7,178 for a lifetime, according to the table."

The taxi ride to the airport is way more hazardous than getting on the plane......

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri May 03, 2013 6:31 pm

3Boys wrote:... The taxi ride to the airport is way more hazardous than getting on the plane......

Indeed. I hate flying short distances because it plays havoc on my sinus and my ears don't pop for days sometimes. So there was once I decided that I would take a cab to go from Tokyo Narita to Haneda, instead of an internal flight. After all, it was only a 40min ride. The cab ride cost me a whopping US$350 (S$550 during those days of strong USD), the most expensive taxi ride I ever took.

I almost died when I saw the bill :wink:

Sorry... off topic... :siam:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Next

Return to Recess Time