Would you still send your kids to the US for college?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Would you still send your child to the US for college?

yes
80%
no
20%

Total votes : 20

Would you still send your kids to the US for college?

Postby kaydenbrown » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:26 pm

I am sure you know the story about Annie Le, the Yale student who was murdered recently.

One of my bloggers wrote this about her too so you might want to check it out:
http://elisa.studygrandmaster.com/?p=196

From my experience, Singaporean students seem to make up a lot of the applications to US schools and I also know that it is very popular among parents in Singapore to send their kids to the US.

With incidents like these and so much more in recent years, would you still be sending your kids off for studies there?

kaydenbrown
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mathsparks » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:17 pm

Please....if you consider the entire USA, this is just a one-off incident..including the various school shootings etc..I doubt it's enough to scare off sending our kids there. Australia/UK/China, you name it, there's whackos everywhere...even here in NTU. Would the Indons/Chinese stop coming here to study due to the recent incident? What abt the few kids who made a suicide pact..would that scare the FTs away?

I think the only reason whether we sent/not is whether we have the dough and if our kid is qualified to go.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:42 pm

The crime rates in most major cities in other countries is generally higher than in Singapore. However we can't live life in fear as long as we are we are taking reasonable precaution.

I won't say I will not consider a city's crime rate when advising my kids about his choice of school but by the time he reach graduate and post graduate level, it is probably him who will make the final decision. And I will support him within my means.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Would you still send your kids to the US for college?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:28 pm

kaydenbrown wrote:... With incidents like these and so much more in recent years, would you still be sending your kids off for studies there?

This kinds of reminds me of a recent incident when someone ask if it is safe to travel to US due to H1N1. Struck me as strange, since we have our very own clusters of H1N1 ourselves here in Singapore.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby kaydenbrown » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:08 pm

Looks like this poll produced the results which I expected....

kaydenbrown
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kiasimom » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:24 pm

Both my BILs graduated from US universities.

Just a personal thought of mine.

If my children do well enough to enter local unis, I will much prefer to let them continue their studies in Singapore.

The pro is we can see each other everyday and that makes family bonding effective.

And just to share, there are many people who go overseas to persue their studies and many of them after graduated chose to stay behind than coming home to be with their parents.

So, unless you are prepared to see your child once or twice a year, you can consider sending them abroad.

Otherwise, Singapore unis are good enough :-P

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby titank » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:27 am

US Universities very expensive, don't think the financial plan able to meet.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:08 am

We do have those education insurance plans for the kids but wonder if it is sufficient.

Daddy said to kids that, it's the best if they can make it to local university. Daddy is already very happy. Daddy can keep the the insurance $ for retirement :lol: My hubby related to me that he used to be poor in his studies so his father saved up $ for his overseas education. So when he made it to local uni, the father managed to keep the $ for himself.

However, if they can make it to US uni with the support of scholarship :| Then go ahead.

Just a thot, my kids are only in lower primary :lol:

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kiasimom » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:15 pm

MMM wrote:We do have those education insurance plans for the kids but wonder if it is sufficient.

Daddy said to kids that, it's the best if they can make it to local university. Daddy is already very happy. Daddy can keep the the insurance $ for retirement :lol: My hubby related to me that he used to be poor in his studies so his father saved up $ for his overseas education. So when he made it to local uni, the father managed to keep the $ for himself.

However, if they can make it to US uni with the support of scholarship :| Then go ahead.

Just a thot, my kids are only in lower primary :lol:

Yes, if they choose to go to overseas uni with a scholarship, then I can use the money and go over with him/her.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby titank » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:16 pm

Ya oversea universities unless have scholarship to support.

Everytime I met Finaincial Planner, they show me the overseas universities course fee + living fees I almost :!:

Show me US,UK, Canada, NZ, Australia.

Maybe I should consider study in Malaysia for 1st 2-3 years & then final year in the country
. :rahrah:

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time