[Fun Poll 13] How satisfied are u wif ur child(ren) results?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How satisfied are you with your child(ren) results?

Pleasantly surprised. Far Exceeded my expectations :boogie:
16%
Happy. Better than expected. :)
22%
Satisfied. About there lah .... :roll:
38%
Unhappy. Should have been better :(
18%
Surprised but in negative way. Need to re-assess tuition \ enrichment plans :cry:
6%

Total votes: 121

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:3

Re: [Fun Poll 13] How satisfied are u wif ur child(ren) resu

Post by mother777 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:09 am

[/quote]Different people different goals. Sometimes it is not just about A or A* or BCD. It is the capabilities of that child.

If you know your child can easily be in the 90s range and have been getting that kind of marks, and suddenly it goes below, naturally you will want to know if somewhere something was overlooked.

Of course if the kid has always been at best a C student, even with hard work put in, then to expect and A* out of them will too stressful for everyone.[/quote]

Actually my case is about the highlighted portion..I know my DD can score easily in the 90s and she has been doing this all along..but suddently it went down..so I got concerned..In fact you should see my DD.. her voice was so low over the phone when she told her marks to me..

She looked on the verge of crying when I spoke to her yesterday evening..she was shocked..
So I need to help her to understand what went wrong..Is it carelessness or just confusion on the concepts to apply..?

And I do agree that parents will know their childs strength and weakness..and try to improve upon them..
Stretching a bit is healthy..too much of a stretch goal is not good..

I am not looking for perfect centum..if you get my meaning..
I know my DD can perform well, just want to support and provide her means to do so..If she cannot.. then both me and DD have to accept it..and no regrets on it..

I am someone who will not quit without trying..just wanted to instill the fighting spirit and resilience in DD..

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Post by concern2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:11 am

Sun_2010 wrote:
A is a big range. That is why a Tscore of 3 A*s and A can be quite a big range

Obtained from a pri school website:

Band 1 - 85 and above -Is very good at the subject
Band 2 - 70 to 84 - Is good at the subject
Band 3 - 50 to 69 - Has adequate grasp at the subject
Band 4 - Below 50 - Has not met the minimum requirements for the subject

A* - 91 and above - Has very good understanding of the subject
A - 75 to 90 - Has good understanding of the subject
B - 60 to 74 - Has good understanding of the subject
C - 50 to 59 - Has adequate understanding of the subject
D - 35 to 49 - Has fair understanding of the subject
E - 20 to 34 - Has elementary understanding of the subject
U - Below 20 - Has not met the requirements for the minimum grade

:thankyou: Thanks, Sun!

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Post by concern2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:13 am

mother777 wrote:She looked on the verge of crying when I spoke to her yesterday evening..she was shocked..
So I need to help her to understand what went wrong..Is it carelessness or just confusion on the concepts to apply..?

It sounds like she's the perfectionist, not you :laugh: And you are just helping her overcome her ill feelings :hugs: Anyway, Funz is right, every child is different.
Last edited by concern2 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:14 am

the higher the expectations, the greater the disappointment...since my daughter is weak, hubby and I just hope for the best because she cannot take the stress.

after sacking the Chinese tutor, I have been doing what I can, at the level my daughter (and I :rotflmao: ) can manage. surprisingly, she passed listening comprehension and mcq section marginally.

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by mother777 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:18 am

concern2 wrote:
mother777 wrote:She looked on the verge of crying when I spoke to her yesterday evening..she was shocked..

It sounds like she's the perfectionist, not you :laugh: And you are just helping her overcome her ill feelings :hugs: Anyway, Funz is right, every child is different.

Ya my baby is growing up and has her own expectations. :snuggles:
I am learning from all KSP forumers about how to support kids in both emotional motivation and what are best resources like books, activities etc to support them..

:grphug: Thank you everyone..

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Post by SAHM_TAN » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:21 am

Sun_2010 wrote:
A is a big range. That is why a Tscore of 3 A*s and A can be quite a big range

Obtained from a pri school website:

Band 1 - 85 and above -Is very good at the subject
Band 2 - 70 to 84 - Is good at the subject
Band 3 - 50 to 69 - Has adequate grasp at the subject
Band 4 - Below 50 - Has not met the minimum requirements for the subject

A* - 91 and above - Has very good understanding of the subject
A - 75 to 90 - Has good understanding of the subject
B - 60 to 74 - Has good understanding of the subject
C - 50 to 59 - Has adequate understanding of the subject
D - 35 to 49 - Has fair understanding of the subject
E - 20 to 34 - Has elementary understanding of the subject
U - Below 20 - Has not met the requirements for the minimum grade

The band scoring is used fr P1 - P4

The A*,A etc scoring is for P5-P6 standard. The scoring for P5-P6 foundation is slightly different.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by SAHM_TAN » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:26 am

I wonder will the A*,A etc range be revised when MOE moves away fr T-score.

Piscesmum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Piscesmum » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:29 am

Hi Mother777,

I can understand your position.
Like your daughter, my son always scored A*. In the event, if there is a slight drop, both of us are very disappointed and stressed over it.

I asked my son "how do you feel when you first got back the papers in class?"
He will replied "I am very disappointed and I know mummy will definitely scold me"

I know in a way it's good & bad. Good that he knows we will be disappointed and he needs to improve. As for the negative effect, I know we have been too tough on him. Now, I am trying my best to strike a balance in his study and hobby.

I always envy those parents with kids who have the initiatives to study on their own instead of having force them to study.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by SAHM_TAN » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:37 am

dd1 does not cry over results.

The way I know how well she score is the speed that she pass me her papers to me when she sees me.

If her result is good, she will pass me the paper when I pick her up.

When her result is not good, she will give it to me when I ask for it.

It was rather funny for eng compo. There was no marks indicated on the paper. I think like her father she thought she scored zero LOLOL. Her reaction abt that paper was to forget abt it LOL.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:39

Post by sleepy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:40 am

pirate wrote:Is it reasonable for parents to be dissatisfied with their children's results if they are no worse than their own results all those years ago? Hmm...... :scratchhead:

:siam:

I always pride myself for being super hardworking when I was a student.
I have to qualify that statement because now I'm super lazy as a SAHM :lol:

Told my kids to try to beat me at that. If they can be nearly as hardworking as I used to be, I promise to accept whatever result they obtain.
What I want to see is effort.

And I think I've been quite spot on in gauging my kids' standard. I know how far they can stretch.

My dd1 came home with the news that Chinese teacher told them the highest in class is 55/60 and asked me excitedly whether I think she would be that person. She felt that she did very well during the paper.

I told her with a straight face 'no way'. I predicted her score to be below 50. I even gave her my prediction of her marks. My dd1 complained that I'm so NOT encouraging. I told her that has nothing to do with being encouraging. I'm just being realistic.

And I know my dd's pattern. Always overly optimistic. Her cup is always half full kind. Even one quarter full she would have find something to rejoice about. Good and bad la. Have to realistic sometimes too, right?

The next day, she sulkingly told me that I'm spot on with her marks :evil:

Like I mentioned earlier, I know far my kids can stretch. Thus I won't expect the impossible but I won't be too forgiving if she underperformed due to complacency. I would make her do reflection.

I'm not complaining about her results la. I do see good effort this time round so I'm actually quite pleased with the improvement in her learning attitude. She did her reflection after SA1
Last edited by sleepy on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.