[Fun Poll 13] How satisfied are u wif ur child(ren) results?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How satisfied are you with your child(ren) results?

Pleasantly surprised. Far Exceeded my expectations :boogie:
16%
Happy. Better than expected. :)
22%
Satisfied. About there lah .... :roll:
38%
Unhappy. Should have been better :(
18%
Surprised but in negative way. Need to re-assess tuition \ enrichment plans :cry:
6%

Total votes: 121

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Re: [Fun Poll 13] How satisfied are u wif ur child(ren) resu

Post by concern2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:49 am

SAHM_TAN wrote:dd1 does not cry over results.

The way I know how well she score is the speed that she pass me her papers to me when she sees me.

If her result is good, she will pass me the paper when I pick her up.

When her result is not good, she will give it to me when I ask for it.

It was rather funny for eng compo. There was no marks indicated on the paper. I think like her father she thought she scored zero LOLOL. Her reaction abt that paper was to forget abt it LOL.

Haha! Same here. When DS says "I cannot remember (the score)", it must be bad. :lol:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Post by SAHM_TAN » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:56 am

concern2 wrote:
SAHM_TAN wrote:dd1 does not cry over results.

The way I know how well she score is the speed that she pass me her papers to me when she sees me.

If her result is good, she will pass me the paper when I pick her up.

When her result is not good, she will give it to me when I ask for it.

It was rather funny for eng compo. There was no marks indicated on the paper. I think like her father she thought she scored zero LOLOL. Her reaction abt that paper was to forget abt it LOL.

Haha! Same here. When DS says "I cannot remember (the score)", it must be bad. :lol:

Ds now has spelling and tingxi in kindy. He is following in dd1's footsteps in regards to how he reacts towards marks. heehee.

33mama
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by 33mama » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:19 pm

mother777 wrote:
Different people different goals. Sometimes it is not just about A or A* or BCD. It is the capabilities of that child.

If you know your child can easily be in the 90s range and have been getting that kind of marks, and suddenly it goes below, naturally you will want to know if somewhere something was overlooked.

Of course if the kid has always been at best a C student, even with hard work put in, then to expect and A* out of them will too stressful for everyone.[/quote]

Actually my case is about the highlighted portion..I know my DD can score easily in the 90s and she has been doing this all along..but suddently it went down..so I got concerned..In fact you should see my DD.. her voice was so low over the phone when she told her marks to me..

She looked on the verge of crying when I spoke to her yesterday evening..she was shocked..
So I need to help her to understand what went wrong..Is it carelessness or just confusion on the concepts to apply..?

And I do agree that parents will know their childs strength and weakness..and try to improve upon them..
Stretching a bit is healthy..too much of a stretch goal is not good..

I am not looking for perfect centum..if you get my meaning..
I know my DD can perform well, just want to support and provide her means to do so..If she cannot.. then both me and DD have to accept it..and no regrets on it..

I am someone who will not quit without trying..just wanted to instill the fighting spirit and resilience in DD..[/quote]

I had the same problem with my P5 DD during CA2 for English and Maths. I kept getting her to do the top school papers.. and she was able to get 90+. In the end, her school paper came back with 70s and 80s....
I spoke with the teacher. The teachers have specific topics/items/words for them to revise on... Every school could have different. As such, because every school exams are tested differently, we need to follow the teacher's instructions on which areas they are focusing on. In this SA2, on top of the Top school papers (for English, I focus on the answering techniques -esp in compre), I asked her to ensure she revise through the topics/areas that the teachers had instructed her on. In the end she managed to get back most of the scores that she should have gotten.
They are not in PSLE yet... So, we should let me follow the flow of the school itself also.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Post by sleepy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:11 pm

33mama wrote:I had the same problem with my P5 DD during CA2 for English and Maths. I kept getting her to do the top school papers.. and she was able to get 90+. In the end, her school paper came back with 70s and 80s....
I spoke with the teacher. The teachers have specific topics/items/words for them to revise on... Every school could have different. As such, because every school exams are tested differently, we need to follow the teacher's instructions on which areas they are focusing on. In this SA2, on top of the Top school papers (for English, I focus on the answering techniques -esp in compre), I asked her to ensure she revise through the topics/areas that the teachers had instructed her on. In the end she managed to get back most of the scores that she should have gotten.
They are not in PSLE yet... So, we should let me follow the flow of the school itself also.

How about doing past year papers from same school? Perhaps that would be a more accurate gauge of the standard of school paper to be expected?

My kids' teachers would give them mock papers (prior years exam papers) before exam. Usually the actual exam results and mock paper results would not vary too much.

I did not let them attempt other top schools exam papers. They are resistant to doing more exam papers :sweat:

33mama
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by 33mama » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:26 pm

sleepy wrote:
33mama wrote:I had the same problem with my P5 DD during CA2 for English and Maths. I kept getting her to do the top school papers.. and she was able to get 90+. In the end, her school paper came back with 70s and 80s....

How about doing past year papers from same school? Perhaps that would be a more accurate gauge of the standard of school paper to be expected?

My kids' teachers would give them mock papers (prior years exam papers) before exam. Usually the actual exam results and mock paper results would not vary too much.

I did not let them attempt other top schools exam papers. They are resistant to doing more exam papers :sweat:

Yes. They did that too. Techniques applied to Maths and English Compre do not change.
For English, I find that it is what they learn in class and need to revise and apply in SA2 that works. These are MCQ vocab - 7marks, cloze passage - 15marks, that they lost.

chloecube
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by chloecube » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:08 am

Hi,

DS is taking his psle next year, as mentioned in my previous post, he is quite weak in his result.
in order to better prepare him, intend to increase his tuition hr but yet does not wish to burnt him out before the big exam
pls help me see if i have overloaded him. thanks alot!

timetable:
1 of the weekday night - science tuition (one-to-one tuition at home - 1.5hr)

saturday - 9am-11am (English Creative writting) - centre
11am - 12.30pm (Chinese tuition) - same centre as above
4-5.45pm (Math) - another centre

Sunday - 9.30-11am (English) at tutor house near my place.

on top of the above, the school will be giving remedial class (i reckon is 2-3 times per week after school)

is it too much?

chanelprincess34
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by chanelprincess34 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:33 am

I think try not to squeeze 3 subjects all in a day
It will do him more harm than good

For me it's either his music plus a subject or swimming plus a subject on the same day. Don't think they can absorb well if all comes together ?

Just my personal view...

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:151

Post by Sun_2010 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:48 am

chloecube wrote:Hi,

DS is taking his psle next year, as mentioned in my previous post, he is quite weak in his result.
in order to better prepare him, intend to increase his tuition hr but yet does not wish to burnt him out before the big exam

timetable:

IMHO,
It is 9 to 12:30 = 3.5 hrs of language at a stretch. Can be very draining. Of course it saves time on logistics , but check if your DS can take that. It is not about the hours he attends but how much he can absorb.

on top of the above, the school will be giving remedial class (i reckon is 2-3 times per week after school)

is it too much?

Also his homework and self rev will be on mostly weekdays I suppose, he needs about half a day per week of R & R

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by TheAnswer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:51 am

chloecube wrote:Hi,

timetable:

is it too much?

Saturday is overloaded.. Too many lessons.. Possible to change Maths to another day or at least change Chinese to another day? My boy will scream if I arrange his lessons back to back..

I think you should ask your boy if he is ready to have 'Siong' Saturdays..
It looks like a 6.5 day work week :imdrowning:

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by TheAnswer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:53 am

For P6 kids, their workload is really scary.. Especially from July onwards..
Personally I would prefer my boy to have private tuition rather than group tuition..
I would like to 'attack' the weak areas and not general revision..