Singapore Life Expectancy

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do you want to live to max of SG Life Expectancy?

YES! Definitely! I'm aiming to live to and beyond the 85 for women and 80 for men
44%
Er .. no. That's far too old
56%

Total votes: 16

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:220

Re: Singapore Life Expectancy

Post by 3Boys » Tue May 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Miss Raja wrote:Agree with Nebbermind. Compared to quality of life in terms of being stress free and getting more time with family, SG is rubbish compared with other societies. This is just shameless rhetoric la.

How is a statistic on logevity = rhetoric? And why is it shameless?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by 3Boys » Tue May 28, 2013 12:18 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
3Boys wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:Well, it's nothing but statistics.

I'm seeing people around me having cancer.
I've been hearing people just dropping dead at work or at home (no accident, just natural)

All I can say is that all these numbers will not help us live longer.

How do you mean?

Are you saying these figures are fudged?

Personally. these numbers are meant more for policy makers, eg, in health care, cpf related etc where they will need some sorts of justifications, or glorification or whatever.

For individuals, this number doesn't guarantee one anything. It's just a number unless your have already reached there and can claim that you form part of the statistics.

I don't understand what you mean by 'justifications or glorifications or whatever'.

You mean our policy makers concoct a policy out of nowhere, and then reverse engineer statistics to support them?

Or perhaps the policies that are developed are in response and in planning for a future state, as indicated by statistics?

Why does one need to reach the end to 'claim' to be part of the statistic'? The point is even if one dies at age 40, he is still part of the statistic. The statistic is that, on average, men in Singapore live till 80 years of age. Some will die at 40, some will die at 50, some will dies at 60, and some will die at 90. They are all part of the statistic.

But many will live to 80 and beyond. And if one is free of significant illness at age 40, one has a high likelihood of making it to 80.

Yes, one never know one's fate, and often it's hard to conceive that one may live such a long life to 80 and beyond.

But just because one cannot conceive of it, or because one cannot know one's fate, does not mean that the statistic is a lie (concocted to justify or glorify) or is irrelevant.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by Nebbermind » Tue May 28, 2013 1:16 pm

did I say it is a lie? :scratchhead:

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by 3Boys » Tue May 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Nebbermind wrote:did I say it is a lie? :scratchhead:

You seem pretty cynical about it, I am curious as to why.

You say the numbers itself won't help us live longer, which is true.

However, the numbers do indicate that on average, we ARE living longer, and should expect so.

And you go on to add that the numbers are only useful to policy makers, for justification or glorification......

Which I disagree with.

These numbers impact all of us, and unless we accept them and understand them, we will...

1) Fail to plan for it

2) Fail to understand policies that plan for it

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by Nebbermind » Tue May 28, 2013 1:52 pm

1stly, if you are part of this statistics, you won't be here to talk about it. :razz:

You are right about using it as a guide for some post retirement planning. Other than that, I see little purpose in this figure, and even less in the ranking! So we are fourth....and then?

Anyway, I donch use this figure for my retirement planning and so it's my mistake to assume others donch too.

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:36

Post by insider » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:25 pm

I have been quite down recently.

Two - Three weeks ago, one of best friends confirmed Stage 4 Nose Cancer.

She started with blocked nose. Went doc. Took medicine.

Then blocked nose became ears blocked. Went doc again. Had anti-biotics.

Then didn't cure. Went doc again. Another dose of anti-biotics.

Then nose bleed.

Then ENT.

Then confirmed nose cancer, Stage 4.

It was devastating for everyone, taking that she is at the peak of her career, fortunately unmarried, and have been living her life like a Queen with her high pay.

She didn't really want to get married.

She doesn't have much savings.

Coz all this while she believes that she will die young due to her family history.

Her dad passed away before 50 years old due to blood cancer.

Out of her dad's 5 siblings, 3 also died of cancer at around 50. (and poor grandma lives till about 85, sending her children one after another off in each funeral.)

All this gave her sort of some indication that she will belong to the high risk group.

And therefore her take-life-easy approach towards living.

She buys like crazy and gives like crazy (a very generous friend towards family and people around her).

Now she is undergoing chemo and to be followed by radio, all in all treatment of about 4 months.

She is fully covered by insurance and had obtained her first $100K pay out from insurance under her living assurance.

She was joking with us, "Lucky I didn't try to save and save else maybe I will not have enough time to spend away!"

Life expectancy is about average.

Maybe govt can tweak it a bit like if anyone with a close relative die of cancer before 60 years old is allowed to have an option to withdraw his / her CPF X number of years earlier and that people with terminal illnesses are allowed to draw out X% of their CPF to do whatever they want (is there a provision of such currently?)? At least get to see own money before meeting the coffin.

I am praying very hard for this best friend of mine whom I have known her since Sec 1. Will she live long enough to see her CPF money to do whatever she wants with her OWN money?

PS:
I have no more mahjong session on every friday coz now is a situation of 三缺一. This mahjong ritual has been for about 20 years and maybe the music will have to end soon. The four of us used to say the first one among us to die is the luckiest while the last one to go is the unluckiest coz the first one got 3 beloved friends to her send off while the last one = sending off 3 best friends with no one sending her off...

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Post by icy_mama » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:49 pm

hi insider

i'm sorry to hear about your friend. do cheer up for her sake. i'm sure she'd want to be surrounded by laughter from her best friends. besides, there's always a chance she'd win this fight with cancer, given her positive attitude.

cheers!

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:36

Post by insider » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:27 pm

icy_mama wrote:hi insider

i'm sorry to hear about your friend. do cheer up for her sake. i'm sure she'd want to be surrounded by laughter from her best friends. besides, there's always a chance she'd win this fight with cancer, given her positive attitude.

cheers!

Hi icy_mama

Thanks for the comforting words. We are all just praying and waiting.

Friend doesn’t really wanna talk much as the chemo is taking a toll on her. Now she is under the care of her mum who is also my Godma.

The fears of losing her voice, hearing, smell, and her eyesight are there for everyone coz the radio sessions are going to be strong ones to arrest her Stage 4 status (chemo is to shrink the large tumour first).

Last year, I went for my papsmear. The results of it were not positive. I was referred to a gynae but knowing what failing a papsmear means, I found myself a gynae-oncology.

I was first put to take another colposcopy and then a biopsy which again showed irregular cells, pointing to risk of cervix cancer. The actual diagnosis was “Class III - High grade squamous intrapitheliao lesion / CIN II & III with HPV effect".

Then, I was advised to undergo LEEP surgery (loop electrosurgical excision).

I was quite calm then coz among my friends, we have been talking about our of the four of us, statistically speaking, one of us will have cancer. So, it might have turned up that it’s me.

My mum was an ex cervix cancer patient. She had her Stage 3B cancer diagnosed when she was about 60 years old. Went through a complicated surgery that damaged her bladder permanently but she managed to pull it through and live till today still quite healthy.

So I was thinking during that point of time that if have cancer, then cancer lor. This Big C word is quite common nowadays. Would try to cure.
All friends were praying for me.

The LEEP surgery can kill about 90% of the cells and so it is not a 100% sure thing. I have to go for 6-monthly papsmear to check on irregular cell formation. Spent about $6000+ all in but covered under insurance.
I’m so far, so good lah…

PS: Above seems a bit OT and so please excuse me. It borders around ‘Life Expectancy’ which I think really is unpredictable (I can go anytime too) though there’re always statistics to speak about…

PS2: Ladies, all these years I used the 'dry' papsmear test that always showed 'Pass' results. Last year the doc, after looking at my age, recommended me the 'Wet' papsmear test that she said is more accurate. Then, I failed it!

So, if you are close to 50 or above 50, then you may wanna consider taking a 'wet' test in every alternate year to ensure accuracy. (wet test is about $200+ while the 'dry' test usually is included in medical check up package).

I'm actually exploring removing my cervix altogether. It's something drastic that is lingering in my mind that I yet to make a decision... (still in my 'research' stage).

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Post by icy_mama » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:15 am

hi insider

i had the same surgery done many years ago. my family had no history of that hence it was a big jolt to me. i'm clear now too.

i need to stress to all ladies out there the importance of having regular pap smear done. small procedure that could save alot of heartache and possibly your life.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:333

Post by Funz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:49 am

Hi Insider,

So sorry to hear that about your friend. It is painful to see a close friend suffer. I am sure she will be able to draw strength from you and her other close friends.

I had a scare after a routine pap smear a few years back. The test showed abnormal cell growth and lesions. I was still in my 30s then. Went back for further tests and was told it was not cancerous but was put on 6mthly reviews for 2 years. Now I am back to the normal yearly checks. That incident got me thinking that I should get my girl to go for the cervical cancer vaccine when she turns 14, maybe 16.