Singapore Life Expectancy

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Post Reply

Do you want to live to max of SG Life Expectancy?

YES! Definitely! I'm aiming to live to and beyond the 85 for women and 80 for men
7
44%
Er .. no. That's far too old
9
56%
 
Total votes: 16

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4031
Joined: Tue Mar 16,
Total Likes:25

Re: Singapore Life Expectancy

Post by dolphinsiah » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:26 am

insider wrote:Maybe govt can tweak it a bit like if anyone with a close relative die of cancer before 60 years old is allowed to have an option to withdraw his / her CPF X number of years earlier and that people with terminal illnesses are allowed to draw out X% of their CPF to do whatever they want (is there a provision of such currently?)? At least get to see own money before meeting the coffin.

I am praying very hard for this best friend of mine whom I have known her since Sec 1. Will she live long enough to see her CPF money to do whatever she wants with her OWN money?

PS:
I have no more mahjong session on every friday coz now is a situation of 三缺一. This mahjong ritual has been for about 20 years and maybe the music will have to end soon. The four of us used to say the first one among us to die is the luckiest while the last one to go is the unluckiest coz the first one got 3 beloved friends to her send off while the last one = sending off 3 best friends with no one sending her off...



Hi Insider, so sad to hear what has happened to your best friend...

I found this on CPF website on members withdrawing CPF on Medical on Medical Grounds:

" Can a member make early withdrawals?
A:
Yes. A members can apply for early withdrawal of his CPF savings on medical grounds if he is suffering from an illness which renders him permanently unfit from ever continuing in any employment to have a severely reduced lifespan, or to be terminally ill."

Hope this CPF information helps...



I always don't feel good when I know Cancer patient undergoes Chemo...
To me Chemo ...is putting chemical into your body.....is it good....? :skeptical:
To me no.....

If one day I am diagnose with Cancer...I will not seek for any treatment....
Anyway, if this moment I am meet with mishap , I know I have leave enough funds for my children well beings....

The thing I am worry now is growing old /poor and unhealthy...a burden to the society.... :nailbite:

Image


I do not want to live to a ripe old age.....
Used up all my $$$$ and die in peace.

My wish is 只求好死。

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2684
Joined: Mon Nov 24,
Total Likes:36

Re: Singapore Life Expectancy

Post by insider » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:12 am

dolphinsiah wrote:
" Can a member make early withdrawals?
A:
Yes. A members can apply for early withdrawal of his CPF savings on medical grounds if he is suffering from an illness which renders him permanently unfit from ever continuing in any employment to have a severely reduced lifespan, or to be terminally ill."

Hope this CPF information helps...




Wonder how they define 'terminally ill'.

Is Stage 4 cancer considered as one?

Anybody knows?

Will get her to try when she is feeling better to do a bit of wrestling with Ah Gong...


dolphinsiah wrote:
If one day I am diagnose with Cancer...I will not seek for any treatment....

Anyway, if this moment I am meet with mishap , I know I have leave enough funds for my children well beings...



Errr...dolphin, you may want to consider changing this mindset.

We know what chemo is but if we need to take chemo, then we just have to take it. We live only once and we have to fight with our best intent and spirit and then if we lose, then so be it coz we have done our best. (unless we have to go through chemo at ripe old age of above mid 70s , then can consider don't want.)

This fighting spirit is what we have to leave behind for our kids. It's an intangible legacy that is more important than whatever assets and money that we will be leaving behind for them. (imagine if our kid got cancer and then he/she tells you he/she will not be treating it. Will this be what you want them to do? if this is not, then we should not be setting that as an example to 'poison' their minds indirectly. 言教 always 不如身教.)

The near future cancer rate for our kids and grandkids probably will be 2:1 and so anytime any of our kids may have cancer and they have to fight on own instead of giving up prematurely.

As said, how we behave and decide on matters have a great imprint on our kiddos and many times we have to set the right example for them to remember and ponder if ever they face similar situation themselves...

.
dolphinsiah wrote:
The thing I am worry now is growing old /poor and unhealthy...a burden to the society.... :nailbite:


I do not want to live to a ripe old age.....
Used up all my $$$$ and die in peace.

My wish is 只求好死。


I am quite positive in that sense, that I believe that God has planned out good things for me ahead, even if it is a premature death...

My life has been very fulfilling so far and so will 死而无憾 from now onwards coz there's no other way that I can live my life again other than what I've been living.

Live positively, then also can die positively, leaving a meaningful legacy behind for our offsprings...
Last edited by insider on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4031
Joined: Tue Mar 16,
Total Likes:25

Re: Singapore Life Expectancy

Post by dolphinsiah » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 am

I want to vote for the poll....but my mind is like what if???

a)Yes , I would like to live beyond 80 ....if I am still rich and healthy...with a sound mind
b)No , I would not like to live beyond 70....if I am poor and Unhealthy

Looking at my family trees, my Greatparents, Grandparents....all live beyond the age of 90...and all passed away peacefully due to old age not illness....

My Greatgrandfather passed away peacefully in his sleep after a full meal....

Now my parents , uncles and aunts ...all very healthy.....

So worry....if my genes are like them .... life span so long....but no money.... :moneyflies: :moneyflies:

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2684
Joined: Mon Nov 24,
Total Likes:36

Re: Singapore Life Expectancy

Post by insider » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:24 am

Funz wrote:I had a scare after a routine pap smear a few years back. The test showed abnormal cell growth and lesions. I was still in my 30s then. Went back for further tests and was told it was not cancerous but was put on 6mthly reviews for 2 years. Now I am back to the normal yearly checks. That incident got me thinking that I should get my girl to go for the cervical cancer vaccine when she turns 14, maybe 16.


Funz,

I believe you are aware how cervix cancer is formed (usually via sexual intercourse and then be infected by partner).

When I showed my daughter my medical report and she told be that HPV strand is a very 'hardworking' virus. Once infected, this virus will start to drill itself into our cervix, bit by bit and day by day, and it may take them 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, etc to finally manage to attach itself onto the cervix to start to multiply enough to become cancer (something like this that she 'lectured' me).

I am very 'clean' one and so it is likely that my husband infected me and of course he cannot remember who infected him. But I am ok with that lah. 谁没有过去呢, esp a matured man like him?

I have got my elder son to jab for the Gardasil and daughter is still yet to jab for the Cervarix (due to lack of time to complete the 3 jabs here when she has to travel for studies). Think my son is more siow siow kind so I am more concerned to get him protected. My daughter will jab after she completes her studies. (note: think the vaccine can last for about 7 years and ideally should jab when you think your child will start their sexual activities. So my son jabbed at 19, so can last till he is about 26. Hopefull when he reaches 26, he will start to wise up and can fully understand STD, etc).

Will share with you more about the above from insurance perspective when I have more time to write.

PS:
For more info about HPV and HPV vaccination (note more effective if it can be given before a child's first sexual intercourse):

http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/article?id=8768

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 12390
Joined: Wed May 27,
Total Likes:331

Re: Singapore Life Expectancy

Post by Funz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:49 am

insider wrote:
Funz wrote:I had a scare after a routine pap smear a few years back. The test showed abnormal cell growth and lesions. I was still in my 30s then. Went back for further tests and was told it was not cancerous but was put on 6mthly reviews for 2 years. Now I am back to the normal yearly checks. That incident got me thinking that I should get my girl to go for the cervical cancer vaccine when she turns 14, maybe 16.


Funz,

I believe you are aware how cervix cancer is formed (usually via sexual intercourse and then be infected by partner).

When I showed my daughter my medical report and she told be that HPV strand is a very 'hardworking' virus. Once infected, this virus will start to drill itself into our cervix, bit by bit and day by day, and it may take them 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, etc to finally manage to attach itself onto the cervix to start to multiply enough to become cancer (something like this that she 'lectured' me).

I am very 'clean' one and so it is likely that my husband infected me and of course he cannot remember who infected him. But I am ok with that lah. 谁没有过去呢, esp a matured man like him?

I have got my elder son to jab for the Gardasil and daughter is still yet to jab for the Cervarix (due to lack of time to complete the 3 jabs here when she has to travel for studies). Think my son is more siow siow kind so I am more concerned to get him protected. My daughter will jab after she completes her studies. (note: think the vaccine can last for about 7 years and ideally should jab when you think your child will start their sexual activities. So my son jabbed at 19, so can last till he is about 26. Hopefull when he reaches 26, he will start to wise up and can fully understand STD, etc).

Will share with you more about the above from insurance perspective when I have more time to write.

PS:
For more info about HPV and HPV vaccination (note more effective if it can be given before a child's first sexual intercourse):

http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/article?id=8768


Yup well aware. And no point trying to figure out how, where, when or who got the infection and passed to who. It already happened. This is a huge family of virus of which a handful has the potential to cause cancer. Note potential, not definitely. Most of the time they do not present any symptoms or issues.

Yes, most effective when given before child is sexually active. Looking at kids these days, hard to tell so I am looking at getting dd vaccinated by 16yrs old. Need not be full sexual intercourse to get infected. Heavy petting also can get infected.


Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 12390
Joined: Wed May 27,
Total Likes:331

Re: Singapore Life Expectancy

Post by Funz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:58 am

dolphinsiah wrote:
I always don't feel good when I know Cancer patient undergoes Chemo...
To me Chemo ...is putting chemical into your body.....is it good....? :skeptical:
To me no.....

If one day I am diagnose with Cancer...I will not seek for any treatment....
Anyway, if this moment I am meet with mishap , I know I have leave enough funds for my children well beings....

The thing I am worry now is growing old /poor and unhealthy...a burden to the society.... :nailbite:

Image


I do not want to live to a ripe old age.....
Used up all my $$$$ and die in peace.

My wish is 只求好死。


Cannot be so absolute right? What if it is early stage cancer that is perfectly curable? Must depend on prognosis.

My uncle was diagnosed with early stage skin cancer at 50+. He had the cancerous mole removed, went through a series of radiation and chemo to remove any other traces and today he is in his 80s. Imagine if he had the same kind of thinking, where will that leave his children and wife?

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 12390
Joined: Wed May 27,
Total Likes:331

Re: Singapore Life Expectancy

Post by Funz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:03 pm

dolphinsiah wrote:I want to vote for the poll....but my mind is like what if???

a)Yes , I would like to live beyond 80 ....if I am still rich and healthy...with a sound mind
b)No , I would not like to live beyond 70....if I am poor and Unhealthy

Looking at my family trees, my Greatparents, Grandparents....all live beyond the age of 90...and all passed away peacefully due to old age not illness....

My Greatgrandfather passed away peacefully in his sleep after a full meal....

Now my parents , uncles and aunts ...all very healthy.....

So worry....if my genes are like them .... life span so long....but no money.... :moneyflies: :moneyflies:


How about thinking this way.

I want to live to a ripe old age and will do my best now to ensure that I am able to achieve that comfortably.

Certain things in life are predestined but a lot of stuff are a result of our own actions and choices.

So choose to live healthy now and chances are you will be relatively healthy in your old age. Plan well now financially while you can and chances are you will be financially comfortable in your old age.

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4031
Joined: Tue Mar 16,
Total Likes:25

Re: Singapore Life Expectancy

Post by dolphinsiah » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Funz wrote:
dolphinsiah wrote:


Cannot be so absolute right? What if it is early stage cancer that is perfectly curable? Must depend on prognosis.

My uncle was diagnosed with early stage skin cancer at 50+. He had the cancerous mole removed, went through a series of radiation and chemo to remove any other traces and today he is in his 80s. Imagine if he had the same kind of thinking, where will that leave his children and wife?


I assumed your Uncle has a beautiful family life to look forward to ...so what your uncle did is absolutely correct. :smile:

Me...I have nothing to look forward to.....If I reach my silver years.... :shrug:

My retirement funds in CPF in 20 years time.....each month payout should be around SGD1000.... :moneyflies: :moneyflies:

Imagine SGD1K , how to survive in Singapore..... :yikes:

But I am lucky , if any mishap happen to me now or any moment....the funds that I leave behind for my love ones is sufficient to ensure that their current living lifestyle is not disrupted.....

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 12390
Joined: Wed May 27,
Total Likes:331

Re: Singapore Life Expectancy

Post by Funz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:00 pm

:hugs: Dolphinsiah.

I gather that you've had it pretty rough up till now. But I believe, like what Insider has shared. How we view life and how we live it has an impact on how our children will live theirs.

Do you really not see anything to look forward to? Your children getting married? Their first house? Grandchildren?

You still have a good 20yrs, build up your retirement funds now.

I cannot predict what my old age will be like. But if you ask me to imagine, I imagine one where my kids will still be close to me and I will have grandkids to dote on, I can stay active with some part time work or even volunteer work and once in a while, travel about somewhere. Afternoon teas with old friends and a mah-jong session here and there.

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2684
Joined: Mon Nov 24,
Total Likes:36

Re: Singapore Life Expectancy

Post by insider » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:21 pm

dolphinsiah wrote:
But I am lucky , if any mishap happen to me now or any moment....the funds that I leave behind for my love ones is sufficient to ensure that their current living lifestyle is not disrupted.....



errr...dolphin, I noted you seem to try to plan a lot for your kiddos and little for yourself.

cannot like that wan leh. Maybe you should try to do the reverse.

If you can do the reverse and have faith that your kiddos will have their own lives and own destinies to live, then you may feel ultra rich and ultra hopeful about your future.

Don't need to plan so much for kiddos lah. They sure can find a way for themselves next time...

Basically each has to take good care of own (a guiding principle that we have to instill in kids) then everything will fall into place (meaning you should not plan too much for them else they may not be able to lead lives that they originally are capable to lead. You want to help them but at the end actually hinder them. By not really taking good care of yourself, you guide them indirectly into bad light as in 不孝 position = the family in the future is unlikely to be 幸福...)

Post Reply